Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A bit wet in my corner of the world...

Registered
    Jul 2002

A bit wet in my corner of the world...

Well I had an unplanned long weekend because I couldn't get to work yesterday! Woke up to a state of Civil Defence Emergency due to a storm that brought heavy rain, flooding, slips, and many road closures. Rivers have burst their banks and reached record levels. Some areas had to be evacuated. So now I am back at work, and the rain is getting heavy again... hope I don't get stuck here!!

So much for summer

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2817127a10,00.html
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2816564a10,00.html

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Well I had an unplanned long weekend because I couldn't get to work yesterday! Woke up to a state of Civil Defence Emergency due to a storm that brought heavy rain, flooding, ...So much for summer
    Send some our way. 40% of the state is still drought declared (a big improvement in the last couple of months) and we have have been boiling in the heat. State maximum yesterday was 48 C (118 F) in Ivanhoe. Maximum today is 28 C (82 F) and is the first day in two weeks when the maximum is below 36 C (97 F). Sunday morning it was 25 C at 5.30 am and I felt cold.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    Send some our way. 40% of the state is still drought declared (a big improvement in the last couple of months) and we have have been boiling in the heat. State maximum yesterday was 48 C (118 F) in Ivanhoe. Maximum today is 28 C (82 F) and is the first day in two weeks when the maximum is below 36 C (97 F). Sunday morning it was 25 C at 5.30 am and I felt cold.
    Believe me I'd love to trade a few degrees with you!

The sun is shining again but it is only 13 C. Floodwaters are still rising, people are still being evacuated, and the damage bill is estimated at NZ$100 million + so far!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh... so there's where my rain went! No wonder we're @ 80% deficit of rain here... B-)
    Though last night we got some rain tooo, but out of a 86.4 mm of normal rainfall at this time of the year we only have 18.1
    So, JNL stop stealling our rainfall! (nah, you can keep it until march! )

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, to date, in California. we had a quite dry February/late January after a really wet December (every weekend was drizzly.)

It just dumped yesterday most of the day. Yesterday, I heard a newscaster use one of the most dreaded phrases in local radio: "The Storm Door is Open" (which means the normal high pressure front which dominates the central Pacific Coast is weakened-or gone). Its supposed to rain every day until next Thursday.

Of course, since we have been pretty dry overall, so we "need" the rain.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Check this out...

EYE IN THE SKY: A Landcare Research satellite image, taken at 11am yesterday, shows central New Zealand in the grip of a severe southerly that brought thunderstorms and more heavy rain to flood-hit areas.
    JNL's location indicated by red arrow!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You know, when I first saw the title of this thread, I was thinking of something else.............like a tidal wave hit you guys or something
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Take care down there.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002

Why NZ should enroll dairy cattle as emergency services personnel

She's an old cow, an ugly old tart, but I'll have to say 'thank you' to her.
    A case of bovine intervention

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My damn sliding glass door leaked during last night's deluge.

The slider has been "fixed" twice since I've lived thre.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interpretation Corner lot: which is the front?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 23 Aug 2014, 3:51 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 27 Jun 2009, 9:44 PM
  3. Garden Advice Corner
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 4:00 PM
  4. Is a corner lot worth more?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38