Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Westminster Dog Show

Registered
    Feb 2003

Westminster Dog Show

I know that some Cyburbians aren't big tv watchers, but is anyone watching the dog show? My family has been involved with showing dog shows my entire life and then some, so it is big tradition for us to watch it and see some of our friends compete. There are some beautiful dogs competing, does anyone have any favorites? I am pulling for the Norfolk Terrier, Coco.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sorry I don't have cable. I have watched it in the past and find it somewhat entertaineing.

While I'm not a fan of dogs, esp. little dogs, for some reason when I watch the dog show I enjoy watching the little dogs. They are so cute and the look like the are having so much fun.

Did your family show Norfolk Terriers?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I didnt get to see it Monday, but do plan to watch the rest. A very good friend breeds and raises several breeds, and has won best in class on a few occassions, so its fun to look for her dogs.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I try to watch some of it, ussually only get the highlights. They never seem to spend any time on the bloodhounds.

The funniest part of watching the bloodhounds is when one inevitably "whapps" a goober. Even well trained, they can't help themselves. You can dress them up, but you can't take them out.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I usually don't watch Westminster. The announcers either forget or barely mention Portuguese Water Dogs, so the televised show really doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Bailey's dam (Ch. Del Sur's Splash something something; gotta' find the pedigree) was in Westminster, but didn't finish in the breed competition.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2003
    PBD -- We actually have Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Kerry Blue Terriers (the breed that won Best in Show last year).

If you ever get to go to a dog show, it is a lot of fun. It is similar to the movie Best in Show, which is painful to watch since it hits too close to home.

Dan, last night they had a really nice PWD in groups.

Have fun watching.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I noticed a basenji was one of the "example" dogs shown in the print media ads for the Show. It proves Westminster (or their ad agency) has good taste :-P

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm sure everybody's got their favorite breed (my doggie is a German Shepard), but I'm not with PlannerByDay on this one...most breeds have their cool points except (as George Carlin once put it) "those little hairless things that shake and piss"
    I like it when 'real dogs' get the blue ribbon regardless of breed.
    Last edited by Maister; 11 Feb 2004 at 2:21 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I'm glad the big dog "Josh" won: little dogs should just be replaced by kittens
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I like it just to hear the dog's names. It made me rethink my own poochie's names. Instead of plain old Jesse, I've decided her full name is now "Have Mercy Said Uncle Jesse Konsapolis", and Parker is now "Indie Queen Parker Posey"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I didn't see an Irish Wolfhound, did I miss it?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Full doggie names

My Collie Mix has always been called "Scobie" but his REAL name is Chief Inspector Scobie Malone of the New South Wales Metropolitan Police

And, Max is, of course, Lupus Maximus.

And, Tasha the (limping) basenji is Queen Katasha of the Congo.

Is this thread descending totally into treacly cuteness yet?

I met a guy at a dog park who had three Italian Greyhounds, all with melifluous doggie names. (God, the female barked continuously)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Does anyone know anything about Border Collies or Australian Shepherds? I was thinking about getting one or the other in a few years when I have my own house.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does anyone know anything about Border Collies or Australian Shepherds? I was thinking about getting one or the other in a few years when I have my own house.
    I understand that they are fairly high maintenance dogs that really need to be able to get outdoors and shake the dust off.

I have also heard tales that Border Collies will herd anything, including children and (gasp) cars
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Australian Shepherds
    You should be very active if you buy one of these. Mine was sweet loyal and always ready to run for nine of its thirteen years. When he got old and soar he'settled for 3-5 walks a day. They have an enormous amount of energy to spend and are incredibly smart.

"The Aussie (as he is lovingly nicknamed) is a very active dog that needs a great deal of exercise on a daily basis to prevent him from become bored or frustrated and developing destructive habits. Because of their high energy level, combined with high intelligence, Aussies need to be given a "job" to perform, be it shepherding the children, protecting the house, herding livestock or competing in dog events.

One of the most frequent reasons Aussies are turned over to rescue groups is because their owners didn't realize how much energy the breed has, and weren't willing to channel that energy through training. Aussies are also quite demanding of their owners' time and attention and want to be constantly with them, following them from room to room in the house, and going along in the car or truck on errands. They can be highly territorial and protective of their masters' possessions, which can cause serious difficulties unless controlled with proper training. "

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I know someone with two and they are outside dogs because they have tried to destroy his new home.

If you want a good dog try a boxer or weimaraner, amazing dogs and with such short hair the grooming is minimal!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Both are very smart dogs. They do need a yard.

Border Collies are almost too smart. They are also extremely intense and need something 'to do." Very loyal and funny. My collie mix, I think, has some border collie in him.

Aussies are absolutely beuatiful dogs-especially the blue merles. Similar personalities to BCs, with not quite the same level of intensity, imo. I wouldn't mind having one of the smaller versions of the Aussie ("Miniature Australian Shepherds)

Just my opinions from observation and conversations.

I've come to the conclusion that obedience training should be mandatory for pet owners, especially for the lethal breeds.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I didn't see an Irish Wolfhound, did I miss it?
    Yes, last night in the hound group. A good looking dog!

I only watched sporting and hound groups.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have known several aussies and think they are my favorite breed. They are very active and are great dogs to bring on hikes. They use their energy in spurts, herding, chasing rabits, scouting around the yard, and trying to play 'stick' with you. Meet an aussie and it will either find a stick or roll over onto its back for a tummy rub.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I used to have an Aussie and my sister-in-law has Borders, both will herd anything, especially children and cats (silly though it seems). They are great dogs, but you must have the time and energy to keep them occupied. Plus, border collies are smarter than most humans, so you have to know how to deal with them. Come to think of it, I have never met a slow Border Collie.

Oh, in the dog world, it was predetermined (told them from some show people) that the Newfie was going to win it all prior to the show even happening.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My friend's clumber spaniel didnt win its breed

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Meet an aussie and it will either find a stick or roll over onto its back for a tummy rub.
    Buy me a beer and I'll sing too.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Trail Nazi has the cutest little guy named Harry, he can open cans of coconut with his teeth.

Oh, and her baby is cute, too. Harry is the dog. One of the Staffordshires she noted in her post. TN actually takes in show dogs from overseas.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Another relative of Bailey [nose_in_air](Del Sur's Dock of the Bay)[/nose_in_air] was in Westminster this year, winning an award of merit.

36 Ch Del Sur's Pacific Wizard
    Breed: Portuguese Water Dog
    Sex: Dog
    AKC: WP 97545203
    Date of Birth: April 15, 2000
    Breeder: Lana Woodburn & Jamie Woodburn & Marek Parsewski
    Sire: Ch Del Sur's Sail Away
    Dam: Ch Del Sur's Sea Ravin
    Owner: Dr Marian Solomon

Best in show was dog Ch Armada's Boatswain Helm's Alee

Best opposite sex was bitch Ch Driftwood's Scheming Calypso

A Portie with a Newfie. Porties are supposedly one of the genetic predessors of the Newfie, as well as the Poodle.

My non-show quality pooches. Bailey. She's the alpha.

Guinness. He's just a widdle bit slow.

They wub each other.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? LSE, UCL, or Westminster.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Jul 2013, 6:45 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 4:00 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 3:40 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Jan 2010, 3:20 PM