Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Westminster Dog Show

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Trail Nazi has the cutest little guy named Harry, he can open cans of coconut with his teeth.

Oh, and her baby is cute, too. Harry is the dog. One of the Staffordshires she noted in her post. TN actually takes in show dogs from overseas.
    This is up there with the newspaper from my first day of weork here.

"Man Teaches Dog to Fetch Beer". It included a colour picture on the first page/cover and the better part of a column inside describing this feat.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We could probably train Harry to open beer, but I would be afraid that he would not give it back.

Dan, your children are cuties!! And they look so comfy on their couch.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Westminster needs to recognize the Atomic Dog breed. I invested a lot of money developing the breed. Plutonium 241 Puppy Chow gets real expensive after a few years, and Al Queda is always bugging me to borrow a bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails atomicdog.jpg  

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Westminster needs to recognize the Atomic Dog breed..
    hump hump hump hump hump hump hump hump

(For those of you who don't get it, Guinness ... well, he practices an alternative doggie lifestyle. He likes young, skinny male mutts. A lot. He liked Gunner when they met. A lot.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    For those of you that don't know, Dan once came for a visit and let one of his dogs try to repeatedly hump mine. Of this fact he remains tremendously proud. I'm uncertain why. My wife was less than pleased with the behavior of his Doggies in her home and I was the recipient of much crap for many days afterwards.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Dan, EG LMAO!
    My pooch ain't no fine breed or anything... just some dachshund mixup I don't get why people spend lots of money for pure breeds of dogs...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    My wife was less than pleased with the behavior of his Doggies in her home and I was the recipient of much crap for many days afterwards.
    Okay ... in defense of Guinness and Bailey, I have to say that Portuguese Water Dogs are very active, people-oriented creatures, similar to but not as obsessive as Aussies. Porties demand human attention, and they crave interaction with other people and animals. They also have a wicked sense of humor and a fierce independent streak. At home, they're nearly inseparable, and play with each other a lot. I mean A LOT. I've had trainers mention how well-behaved they are ... FOR THE BREED.

Quote Originally posted by Skeleton
    I don't get why people spend lots of money for pure breeds of dogs.
    Because they're looking for certain personality and/or physical traits. I'm technically allergic to dogs. I don't have allergic reactions around them, but I wanted to be absolutely sure, so I limited myself to certain breeds considered hypo-allergenic. I didn't want a Poodle or small terrier, and the remaining breeds that met my qualifications were uncommon; PWDs, Kerry Blue Terriers, and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. Such dogs don't end up in shelters.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

warning: cute doogie glurge

I have both mutts (rottie/shepherd and collie/border collie/shepherd??) and a pure bred (basenji). I am kinda down the middle, as I love both kinds. I don't dismiss all mutts like some breed snobs, but I also am very pleased that there are good breeders out there producing my favorite dog breed-basenjis. And, as Dan points out, there are often reasons for choosing a specific breed. Edit: Plus, I got Tasha through BRAT (Basenji Rescue and Transport) so I didn't pay very much ($100 to the rescue society to fund their operations).

Speaking of which, the little she-devil (her other name is "Linda Blair." If you saw how she stands on her hind feet and literally rotates her head around what looks like 250 degrees, you would understand) decided, after three weeks, that she was tired of the bandage on her foot. Gauze and tape was all around the house and bed. She led me on a quite merry chase to get her cone on

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does anyone know anything about Border Collies or Australian Shepherds? I was thinking about getting one or the other in a few years when I have my own house.
    Border Collies are great dogs. My parents got one shortly after they were married and she was our family dog till I was 12. They do need lots of exercise and brushing, but are very smart and easily adaptable to a busy house. I have three little sisters and my mom would always say how gentle and protective the dog was around us. We had a beach house on the coast of Maine and if any of us wandered off too far my mom would send the dog out and she would actually get in our way to "herd" us back to our parents. I can still remembe how heartbroken everyone was when she died. Ah, that's the worst part of having a dog, I guess.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Anybody own a wolf-hybrid? Almost got one many years back. They can dig allright. Friendly and playful.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hey, Dan. I met someone with a Portie this wekend in SF in a local park. He was VERY interested in my dog Max, if you know what I mean :-P

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    ... I usually watch a bit of the dog show... but I just adopted a 14 month old that was in foster care....with a bit of separation anxiety. He is also part sight hound.... which is an issue with my cats.

I love watching the hound class...and the big dogs.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? LSE, UCL, or Westminster.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Jul 2013, 6:45 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 4:00 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 3:40 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Jan 2010, 3:20 PM