Urban planning community

Thread: Radiohead Rules!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Radiohead Rules!

Hello Planners far and wide and have a super 2004!
    Sun comes back to Barrow soon---January 23, after an absence of over two months. Hey Hey
    Just noticing that in the various year-end surveys, etc. in rock music and entertainment, Radiohead comes up at or near the top. Some call it just the best group around.
    And their latest CD, "Hail to the Thief," dedicated to George Bush and the Florida election, continues to get high marks.
    Peace to you all.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Radiohead Rules!

Originally posted by Earl Finkler
    And their latest CD, "Hail to the Thief," dedicated to George Bush and the Florida election, continues to get high marks.
    It was my understanding that Radiohead did not title the album specifically in reference to GWB, but were just looking for a "catchy/provocative" title...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks planners for clarifying and carefully looking at topics that can get emotional, and depressing.
    Radiohead is difficult to pin down but the reviews such as this in Amazon.com, seem to indicate some focus and direction to the album "Hail to the Thief"

"they use eloquent metaphors and complicated arrangements to express the uncertainty, fear and anger arising from the 2000 U.S. presidential election and a post-9/11 world. There’s no doubt about where Thom Yorke and company stand; the prog-rock break on "2 + 2 = 5" and Yorke's terror at the thought of being "put in a dock" make that immediately clear. But there's a prevailing sense of powerlessness here"

That seems to summarize it, as we all face 2004, I hope with maximum energy and enthusiasm, and dedication to all that is great about our democracy.
    Peace
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Earl, your musical taste is to be commended.

Off-topic:
    With no sun, how does Barrow's suicide rate compare to places like Seattle, known for dreary weather?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks Chet---I'm normally into classic rock from the 60s, but A long transAtlantic flight with a big audio feature of Radiohead got my attention. And now to have some music that understands the dilema of a planner, and a person, living in this day and age, that helps. Sometimes, I really wonder if Orwell's 1984 could be coming true if we all do not stay involved.

On impacts of two months without direct sun in Barrow, I've heard we have higher incidence of Seasonal Affective Disorder, but I haven't seen comparable data on things like suicide --which is a very complex topic. Having lived here for over 20 years, I think the strength of the Native culture, with emphasis on sharing and watching out for each other, and having a sense of humor, no matter how cold or dark it is outside --that all helps.
    Earl

More at Cyburbia

1. Announcements rules
    Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Design Rules?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 3:14 PM
  3. Radiohead - Hail to the Thief