Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why South Dakota is Going to Sublevel 666 of Jack Chick's Version of Hell #1

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Why South Dakota is going to sublevel 666 of Hell

The South Dakota House of Representatives have approved a bill that would ban abortion in the state. The bill would outlaw abortion unless a mother's life is in danger, with no exceptions for rape victims or women that would have permanent serious health problems by giving birth.

The bill passed the House 54-15.

Not only are they blatantly ignoring firmly established Supreme Court precedent (Roe v Wade), they are wasting the taxpayers money defending a bill that will definitely be struck down.

I'd write more to express my outrage, but words fail me right now. What next ... Race-based restrictive covenants become legal again in Mississippi? Missouri relegalizes slave ownership? Georgia passes a bill to make the Southern Baptist faith the state religion? Let's just all regress to 1850, and give a middle finger to the Supreme Court and the Constitution in the process.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    The bill would outlaw abortion unless a mother's life is in danger, with no exceptions for rape victims or women that would have permanent serious health problems by giving birth.
    Uh... If the mother could have permanent serious health problems due to giving birth, wouldn't that be considered risking the mother's life?

What's the fuzz about baning abortion? Afterall it is illegal to kill people, right?

Oh and if it's a rape victim, there's this thing called Day After Pill, thank you!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am with you on this Dan. How could they possibly do that.

But you know politicians think they are God Like and they think they can't be touched.

I just feel bad for those women caught in the middle of it. It is a trying enough position to be in without a public political display.
    At least they can still cross state lines until this gets straightened out!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    What's the fuzz about baning abortion? Afterall it is illegal to kill people, right?

Oh and if it's a rape victim, there's this thing called Day After Pill, thank you!
    Sure, killing people is illegal (unless in the name of self-defense), but killing yourself is not......The point is, its a woman's body and it should be her choice of what she does to it. The same goes for drug addicts, alcoholics such as myself...NOT, eating to much fast food, etc. Pretty soon the govt. is going to try to tell me when and when not, I can piss. B-)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Skel, I am right there with ya…

Both Science and Religion state that life begins at conception. It is that simple, furthermore, currently 1/3 of today’s teen population in the united states does not exist because of abortion.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Are you so sure that "religion" states that life begins at conception? Which religion? Not all do.

US Culture states that women want the right to have abortions.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I couldn't agree more Dan.

As far as the rape comment Skel, I think you may need to take a step back and think about what you're saying. Rape victims often do not come forward out of fear and/or shame, rape is not always commited by a stranger, and that pill was not readily available for many many years. To that end, if life starts at conception per science and religious findings wouldn't the morning after pill in fact be a type of abortion which you are so against?

The problem with prohibiting abortion is you'll wind up with women dying from a back alley abortion performed by a whack doctor. To be in a situation qwhere the decision to end a pregnancy came up would be emotionally taxing, but then to be judged for life altering decisions by people not in your shoes? It's really sad and unfortunate people can think they know what's best for everyone and try to force their morality issues on others.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    OK my bad, most Christian religions do. As for the morning after pill, I don't support that either. Many Physiologists will agree that women who have been rapped, and then have had an abortion have more psychological and emotional issues, than those who do not have an abortion.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    As far as the rape comment Skel, I think you may need to take a step back and think about what you're saying. Rape victims often do not come forward out of fear and/or shame, rape is not always commited by a stranger, and that pill was not readily available for many many years. To that end, if life starts at conception per science and religious findings wouldn't the morning after pill in fact be a type of abortion which you are so against?
    Hum...Did I say I believed that life started with conception? No, and If it were, condoms would be abortive too.
    To me, life starts in implantation, when the embryo starts to develop, before that it's just a proto-embryo, a bunch of cells that could die easily; hence the day after pill is not actually abortive, unless taken after implantation.

Kang and Kodos

"Abortions for none!" "Booo!"
    "Abortions for all!" "Booo!"
    "Abortions for some... and little American flags for everybody else!" "YAY!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Hum...Did I say I believed that life started with conception? No, and If it were, condoms would be abortive too.
    To me, life starts in implantation, when the embryo starts to develop, before that it's just a proto-embryo, a bunch of cells that could die easily; hence the day after pill is not actually abortive, unless taken after implantation.
    sorry, that should've said Skis for that portion.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    OK my bad, most Christian religions do. As for the morning after pill, I don't support that either. Many Physiologists will agree that women who have been rapped, and then have had an abortion have more psychological and emotional issues, than those who do not have an abortion.
    Oh, okay, well as long as there was a study done. A study done by a man about the effect of abortion vs carrying your rapists child doesn't mean jack in the real world. Until a man is raped, pregnant, and faced with the decision (and no, it's just a tad harder than deciding on wheatabix or cheerios) of ending a pregnancy they shouldn't have the right to tell me what is best for me.

Until a man is raped, pregnant, and faced with the decision (and no, it's just a tad harder than deciding on wheatabix or cheerios) of ending a pregnancy they shouldn't have the right to tell me what is best for me.
    My sentiments exactly.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    A study done by a man about the effect of abortion vs carrying your rapists child doesn't mean jack in the real world.
    I was told that the study was done by someone who was completing their Ph.D. as their final research project. Oh did I mention that she was a female and a former rape victim who gave her baby up for adoption? I will see the person that told me about this weekend, and I will see if I can get a copy of the report from them.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I also want to mention that everyone here may express his or her own opinion, and I welcome that. I do not look down on anyone for there opinions in any manor. I do not hate people that are pro choice, or think in ways that differ from me.

I just know what I believe, and what I have read, and even what people who are close to me have experienced.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I was told that the study was done by someone who was completing their Ph.D. as their final research project. Oh did I mention that she was a female and a former rape victim who gave her baby up for adoption? I will see the person that told me about this weekend, and I will see if I can get a copy of the report from them.
    Okay, let me rephrase that, a study done by a woman about what is best for my situation because it was what was best for her, or a gaggle of other woman, does not mean my right to make a decision should be infringed upon nor do I think I should be judged (not that you are, but in general) for having to make those decisions.
    It's not like they're taking away a woman's right to dye her hair, the decision to end a pregnancy, for whatever reason, is such a personal one that the decision should only be made by the person, or people, intimately involved.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Okay, let me rephrase that, a study done by a woman about what is best for my situation because it was what was best for her, or a gaggle of other woman, does not mean my right to make a decision should be infringed upon nor do I think I should be judged (not that you are, but in general) for having to make those decisions.
    It's not like they're taking away a woman's right to dye her hair, the decision to end a pregnancy, for whatever reason, is such a personal one that the decision should only be made by the person, or people, intimately involved.

It was not a study of what was best for her, being that it was a study done so that she could get her Ph.D. and being such a controversial topic, and imagine that her professors tried to convince her to use a scientific method. It is true that every paper written on emotional or psychological situations are as controversial as the topics them selves, but it is one, of what I am guessing there are more, studies done on this topic.

As for the decision, if it is true that life begins at conception, then the unborn child should have a much larger say in it then even the mother does. I understand the whole it is the woman’s body, she should have the right to do with it what she wants as long as it does not negatively affect any other person, what about the baby? There is a big difference between changing hair color *which I am all for* and destroying a life.

Let me ask you this? What good does abortion do when it is not a medical emergency that risk the mothers life? I also want to say that I respect you, and everyone else in this thread for having courage to stand up for what you believe in.

Registered
    May 2003
    Michaelskis, I applaud you for your courage. It takes guts to admit you are pro-life on this forum when its obvious that such people are just a bunch of nutjob Christian whackos who want to take us back to 1850. After all, our imperial Supreme Court has ruled on this issue, and those Jack Chick lovin' prolifers in South Dakota oughta just shut up and live with American pro-abortion culture.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    ....its obvious that such people are just a bunch of nutjob Christian whackos who want to take us back to 1850.
    Thank you, I am just happy that not all of us are trying to take anyone back to 1850. Those people tend to get on my nerves at times.

As for what South Dakota, if the general population does not want it, then the house of reps will get replaced, if the do, then the house will remain in tact for a while.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    As for the decision, if it is true that life begins at conception, then the unborn child should have a much larger say in it then even the mother does. I understand the whole it is the woman’s body, she should have the right to do with it what she wants as long as it does not negatively affect any other person, what about the baby? There is a big difference between changing hair color *which I am all for* and destroying a life.

Let me ask you this? What good does abortion do when it is not a medical emergency that risk the mothers life? I also want to say that I respect you, and everyone else in this thread for having courage to stand up for what you believe in.
    The good may not be something pro-choicers would consider good, but for some that is the only choice to make. What if having a child for economic reasons was not possible? I know the arguement for adoption is there but some don't even have the money to buy maternity clothes or take the time off work to get to a doctor's appointment. I wouldn't say it's always the best choice but for some they may feel it is their only choice. Knowing that my situation is not like everyone else's I couldn't think for an instant I should be able to make that decision for someone else. Walk a mile in their shoes and you may understand why they have made the decision.
    This isn't to say I think it should be taken lightly and honestly I have even known women my age to use it as birth control. Scary but true- my insurance right now fully covers an abortion for any reason but does not fully cover birth control. I would prefer a more balanced system where birth control is the first option and it's readily available to everyone. I could even see myself supporting a pro-choice campaign if it was to support education, birth control options, availbility, and full coverage on medical plans while still allowing a woman after those options are exhausted to decide what is best.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Only at an open-meeting and not at a closed door-meeting.

It all depends on your choices, doesn't it? If I had the choice to choose (and I don't), I would probally choose pro-life, but at the same time I would support another's decision for pro-choice. Its the persons choice, not mine, but let them decide for themselves. Its also the woman's right, not the man's.

Where to start with this? For starters, a child not brought into the world that will end up not cared for (and don't start on adoption unless you've had experience with it) and mis-treated by un-fit parents. Rape victims who may not want to deal with the pulling, emotional scars of birth. Burden to social resouces for incompetent mothers and people such as the donor (yeah, I know I'll catch hell for this) who continue to produce offspring that they cannot support, but let the system, AKA, your tax dollars fund. Etc, etc, etc.

I also respect everyones opinions here, and thats the beauty of this country (for the most part), the freedom of choice.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Oct 2001
    [lie]Oh, Boy abortion...what a fun topic. I'm glad you brought it up Dan[/lie]

Judging from the prior posts, I'm betting we all leave the emotional baggage behind and argue the subject with cool logic for the duration of this thread. Yes, we are all going to leave our religion, or lack of one, behind and argue if human life should be destroyed for the convenience of the host body.

OK, so if the State Government of Vermont should have the right to allow gay couples to marry why can’t one of the Dakota Territories have the right to outlaw abortion in their state? Can't we allow states to make laws that may offend sophisticated planners and other urbanites? Or should we allow the city council of Greenwich Village, NY to set national law. After all one of America's chosen may someday get stranded during a flight layover in Nebraska and need a quickie vaginal lumpectomy before departing on the next flight to Prague.

Roe v. Wade was simply judicial activism and everyone with an IQ over 50 knows it. There is no right to privacy in the constitution. There should be, but there isn’t. So basing your argument on the Supreme Court said it is OK is goofy. The Supreme Court is less that credible out here in flyover country.

Basing your decision on your personal brand of God and his writings is just as nuts. If my God is right then I should be able to kill all that disagree with my God. Heck, My GOD, according to some of the writings attributed to him, wants me to kill Abortion Doctors, Planners and Jerry Springer and yet I don't kill anyone. Wild isn't it. (I'm actually in favor of any religion that harms Mr. Springer a little bit.)

Why don’t we ask ourselves if we want to live in a culture where a life could come second, behind a teenager's convenience? Most abortions are because someone finds the results of their sexual activity darn inconvenient. The rape and mother’s life exceptions are just that. They are exceptions and not a rational basis for allowing the other (just guessing here) 90% a reason to kill a child conceived out of being to lazy to run down to the Walgreen’s for a rubber. Was that too candid?

When the abortionistas decided that they needed to be able to spirit a 12 year old girl away from her family and offer her the choice of an abortion without letting her parent's even know she was pregnant you lost any hope of winning me over. Abortion is just a small part of a heniously destructive agenda.

My Position: Go ahead and kill your baby for whatever reason you can rationalize in your own mind. Tell everyone how courageous you were and how it is your body and your right. But don't expect me to embrace you. I reserve the right to believe you murdered a baby.

Now, let the flames fly.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    [lie]Oh, Boy abortion...what a fun topic. I'm glad you brought it up Dan[/lie]Basing your decision on your personal brand of God and his writings is just as nuts. If my God is right then I should be able to kill all that disagree with my God. Heck, My GOD, according to some of the writings attributed to him, wants me to kill Abortion Doctors, Planners and Jerry Springer and yet I don't kill anyone. Wild isn't it. (I'm actually in favor of any religion that harms Mr. Springer a little bit.):
    El Guapo, opinions, opinions, opinions.... My whole point rests behind the fact and guarentees, of which this country has provided and stated as being factual....and constitutional..

Yes if you want an abortion, do it, its your right and private choice, should it be. Nobody's God is right, if they all were, we wouldn't be in this whole conflict/mess that nobody wants to ultimately deal with right now.......

Think of those gunners in "Easy Rider" EG, riding the wave of freedom, only to be struck down...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Rumpy,
    Please put the chronic down and re-read my post.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi! The name is Jack Whitmore!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 Jul 2013, 7:28 PM
  2. U.S. - Dakota War - Who Knew?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Why North Dakota, Why?