Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unsolicited Planning job recruitments?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Unsolicited Planning job recruitments?

Has anyone here ever been recruited for a planning position, unsolicited?

Last week, I received a job description sheet and marketing materials from the City of Appleton, WI. I don't know how they got my name and why they chose me. The position is for a Senior Planner with at least 5 years experience with 2 of those years being managerial. I have 1 1/2 yrs experience. :-P

This is something very strange. Is this common?

Off-topic: BTW, I see that Appleton is near Lake Winnebago. What is this part of WI like? Not that I am interested in this position, but just a general interest.
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Feb 2004 at 8:51 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sometimes HR departments will buy the APA mailing list and send out a recruitment to all planners... we get them about once a week around here. It sounds like something similar happened to you.

I have had real headhunters call me though based upon word of mouth in the development community, which is pretty cool. Unfortunately they were crap job (which is why they probably had to hire a headhunter in the first place....)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I got the same mailing -
    because of our "favorite" intials after your name mailing list and what region I am in ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It happens to me from time to time. Sometimes it has been because somebody heard me speak somewhere. Other times it is because one of my peers has recommended that they give me a call. Other times it is (usually obviously) a mass mailing.

As for Appleton, it is one of the "Fox Cities" along with Fond du Lac, Neenah, and Oshkosh. Green Bay, with the greatest football in the world, is close by. The cost of living is really cheap. The west side of the lake is generally flat to low hills. The east side is hill, less settled, and leads up into the Door Penninsula.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Last week, I received a job description sheet and marketing materials from the City of Appleton, WI.
    Got a rejection letter from Appleton after I had a phone interview with them last August or September. Senior Planner position; same thing that you got solicited for. I'm ambivalent about whether it's a good place to work or not.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I had a in-person interview in Appleton for a Planner position. The Director and her at the time, Senior Planner seemed very....(w)itchy?

I mean.. i got a cold reception the whole way through the interview. That had never before happened to me.

Anyway, Appleton is nice...however.. it seemed a too sleepy for me. Housing is affordable, but the town didn't thrill me a lot.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Has anyone here ever been recruited for a planning position, unsolicited?

Last week, I received a job description sheet and marketing materials from the City of Appleton, WI.

I got the same letter.

I am not interested so that is one less resume you will compete against.

Seems like that position has been open a few times. I also got the letter. Appleton is boring, maybe that is why people leave. They have a nice downtown area but thats about it. It is fairly close to some cool areas like Green Bay and Door County. Take my comments with a grain of salt as I believe the only areas in Wisconsin worth living in are Madison and Milwaukee.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I too, got the same letter. I gotta believe they got our names off an APA database. Where else could it have come from.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I too, got the same letter. I gotta believe they got our names off an APA database. Where else could it have come from.
    Maybe Dan's been selling our info for extra beer and web hosting funds to towns across the globe.... and to telemarketers!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I wish people sent me unsolicited job ads.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I've got a job opening up. Send me your address and you'll start getting unsolicited job ads.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Actually, I didn't mind it. I wouldn't move to Appleton, WI given my current situation, but it was nice having the reminder that there are other pastures out there...maybe even give one cause to reflect on how good/bad one's current circumstances are.
    Who knows - I mighta responded positively if the unsolicited advert read "Wanted: Planner III for work on balmy tropical island. Beginning salary - $116,000 - $155,000. Full benefits package including 25% noncontributory 401(A). Responsibilities include: drinking lots of flavored coffee, show up to public meetings once a quarter and nod sagely as suggestions are made by others, mixing drinks, signing the occasional document that someone places on your desk. Provide weekly critique/evaluation of government provided massage services..."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ..."Wanted: Planner III for work on balmy tropical island. Beginning salary - $116,000 - $155,000. Full benefits package including 25% noncontributory 401(A). Responsibilities include: drinking lots of flavored coffee, show up to public meetings once a quarter and nod sagely as suggestions are made by others, mixing drinks, signing the occasional document that someone places on your desk. Provide weekly critique/evaluation of government provided massage services..."
    hahahahahahah, nice, very nice!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Last week, I received a job description sheet and marketing materials from the City of Appleton, WI...

This is something very strange. Is this common?

Off-topic: BTW, I see that Appleton is near Lake Winnebago. What is this part of WI like? Not that I am interested in this position, but just a general interest.
    Appleton is a great city.... I too along with another planner in the office got the same mailing. I think that if you have ever applyed for a job there in the planning office, they sent it out. I just got here, and I like this area, maybe in a few years after I get my Masters I will think about it.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Appleton is a great city - the Fox Valley area of Wisconsin has alot to offer. Cost of living is reasonable too. I lived in the area for a few years when I worked in neighboring Kaukauna and really enjoyed it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I've got a job opening up. Send me your address and you'll start getting unsolicited job ads.
    Can I do reseach for your town from home? Maybe with a couple of field visits in the summer?

I cancelled my phone interview with a possible employer over 6 hours away - it wasn't worth it, all things considered. [But thanks for the advice Cyburbia]. I'm crossing my fingers about a more local position I interviewed for last week. There's just very little within commuting distance for some reason, its not like I'm out in the boonies here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 5:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 12:54 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 08 Oct 2004, 4:50 PM
  4. Unsolicited CVs from India. Huh?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Dec 2003, 2:10 AM