Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suburban Downtown...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Suburban Downtown...

Not sure if this title contradicts itself or not, lol

I'm reviewing a portion of our comp land-use plan... I've come to the conclusion that it is time to expand the Commercial area in the CBD. I realize the benefits of residential uses in the CBD, however the town is in the redevelopment stage and has a high residential density surrounding the designated CBD. Densities in the CBD designated as residential use are less dense in population and not attractive to residential development at this point. My idea is to designate these areas for future commercial expansion since they are on the fringe of areas that have a somewhat dense (for suburbia) residential population.

Any thoughts, I know there are a lot of details not given, but I'm just curious as to any basic comments...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Vlaude
    Not sure if this title contradicts itself or not, lol

I'm reviewing a portion of our comp land-use plan... I've come to the conclusion that it is time to expand the Commercial area in the CBD. I realize the benefits of residential uses in the CBD, however the town is in the redevelopment stage and has a high residential density surrounding the designated CBD. Densities in the CBD designated as residential use are less dense in population and not attractive to residential development at this point. My idea is to designate these areas for future commercial expansion since they are on the fringe of areas that have a somewhat dense (for suburbia) residential population.

Any thoughts, I know there are a lot of details not given, but I'm just curious as to any basic comments...

I need more details to know if it would work or not, but have you thought about mixed-use as opposed to just commercial designation for the CBD expansion?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that not only would it be possible, but it should be created if it does not exist. For my community, I have been doing a little research (on my own time) on some how changing our Commercial Planned District to permit for limited mixed use, with reduced front and side setbacks, or even zero lot line front and side setbacks, requiring on street parking, and having residential use on 2nd or 3rd floor areas. Right now, we have no mixed use zoning, no “downtown”.

For more information, http://www.portagemi.com/government/...ing.asp?bhcp=1 and open the GIS viewer, change the map type to zoning, and enjoy.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 07 Jan 2016, 12:28 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Sep 2007, 12:16 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 8:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 12:24 PM
  5. Suburban Pac-man?
    Friday Afternoon Club