Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Site visits are great for seeing wildlife!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Site visits are great for seeing wildlife!

Yesterday, I was on a site visit to one of the old shopping centers here and as I was going back to the car I saw this:

It was in the tree of an adjacent residential property. This bird of prey was munching away on some small animal.

I really love how these types of birds have no problem living alongside us humans. It's really a beautiful bird, and we were in the middle of built-out suburbia.

Has anyone else had such an experience with the more interesting of the animal world while on a site visit.

Squirrels, pigeons, and seagulls don't count.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Has anyone else had such an experience with the more interesting of the animal world while on a site visit.

Squirrels, pigeons, and seagulls don't count.
    They don't? I saw this on a site visit once
    homelesnessmaximus

I've seen a peregrine falcon in the city before. Plus turkeys down by the grain elevators, as well as deer by the tracks near concrete central.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Deer, moose, elk, bald eagles, coyotes, stupid people.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Deer, bald eagle, alligators, very large snakes, armadillos, sandhill cranes, and my favorite, the gopher tortoise (which quite often must be rescued from the middle of roadways).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had a hawk clear a path for me as I walked down State Street in downtown Madison yesterday. It is not too unusual for me to see cranes in my business park, or deer in my yard.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Deer, lots of ducks and geese, a fox or 2 every now and then, tourists, and hawks.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Last week I almost stepped on a snake during a site visit. He was a jerk, that snake. But I got him because his house was just approved for a subdivision.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman

I don't know if domesticated animals count but I have had some comical experiences with dogs in the field.
    I recall my first day on the job as a zoning administrator, the old hand of the office was showing me, the 'new guy', all there was to know about code enforcement. We get out of the car to post a notice at this one address and are approached by two mangy mutts. Old hand says, "there's an art to dealing with dogs - watch a master at work". One of the dogs makes a beeline directly at him, jumps, and while sailing through the air collides with his groin (dog was running full speed)......10 minutes later as I regained my ability to breathe and the spasms of laughter subsided I helped him up off the ground .
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    No More Goats...
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've seen the occasional falcon in our downtown, where they are kept to help control the pigeon population. Other than that the only wildlife I've seen while out on site visits have been lots and lots of turkey and deer out by the Parkway.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    No More Goats...
    shhhhh Michaelskis......you don't want to shame our community in front of all these other planners. If they found out our fair city faces a serious goat infestation problem we would become the laughingstocks of the world. Instead of "badgerbadgerbadgerbadger mushroom mushroom" they'll be creating websites like "goatgoatgoatgoatgoat tin can tin can" but with our city's name on it.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    There's a family of about 5 ducks that hang around the 2 block area of my office building, which is the only one in the area with green space. They just waddle along the green space, the parking lot and the canal that is behind the building's parking lot. There are so cute. I worry that some crazed driver is going to hurt one of them.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    On my way to a site visit I encountered a HUGE iguana crossing the road. At first I thought it was a baby alligator. It was just cruisin along...even though it was in the middle of a very busy road. Very cool!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Nothing much other than squirrels and pigeons. Think I saw a falcon once, high up on a building.

I know Donk likes the two-legged wildlife seen around these parts

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I know Donk likes the two-legged wildlife seen around these parts
    And I can't wait to participate in the hunting of them. Will I need a license?

Normal things to see around here moose, bear, deer, the odd porpoise/whale, vultures, hawks, bald eagles, osprey.....
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 22 Mar 2011, 6:00 PM
  2. Site visits and ADA compliance
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Nov 2010, 5:19 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Oct 2010, 12:48 PM
  4. Ex Parte Rules - Site Visits
    Land Use and Zoning