Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters in Public Health

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004

Masters in Public Health

Over the past couple of weeks I have been debating on what to do after I graduate. One of the options that has been pointed out by one of my professors is getting a Masters in Public Health. There has been some talk that they are trying to get a joint degree program MUP/MPH. I know UNC and a few other schools already have this option. Any opinions???

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You'd make more money in Kansas with a Masters in Interpretive Dance. Check out the salaries of County Health Department Heads and Senior Sanitarians at KDHE. There's your lifetime peak at $38,500. That may sound like a lot for a college student, but a MPH is dud degree - IMHO. Sorry to be blunt, but I know where for I speak. You'd go futher in your career spending the $20-30K you'd spend on that degree on hookers and booze for your future bosses.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Well, I dont know how to reply to that, but thanks for the heads up on salaries. I definately dont plan on spending the rest of my life here in Kansas (Im getting the hell out of here ASAP).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What EG says holds true in the states (IL and WI) that I have worked in. An MPH is equivilent to a Masters in Social Work. You can make more money and spend less time in school if you just learn to say "Would you like fries with that?" OK, so money isn't everything, but is the MPH really going to help you much? Unless you are working in a large city, the specialization won't count for much. In fact, it could hurt if potential employers percieve you as more of a social planner than a physical planner. I don't mean to discourage you if this is your real interest, but you should know the facts going in.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    When you say social planner as opposed to a physical planner are you refering to those who specialize in community development or economic development or something else? I am in a heavily policy oriented Urban Planning program. I always thought CD and ED are actually better to specialize in than physical planning. Than again it seems you were refering to the MPH program which is something else entirely. There is more money in Urban Planning than MPH I believe. Of course in a large city like Chicago there might be good opportunity with it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chicago
    When you say social planner as opposed to a physical planner are you refering to those who specialize in community development or economic development or something else? I am in a heavily policy oriented Urban Planning program. I always thought CD and ED are actually better to specialize in than physical planning. Than again it seems you were refering to the MPH program which is something else entirely. There is more money in Urban Planning than MPH I believe. Of course in a large city like Chicago there might be good opportunity with it.
    By social planning I do not mean economic development, and community development is a bit of a fuzzy term in most places, so I guess I'd stay away from that. When I say social planner I am thinking of someone who may be more in the line of (as in this case) public health planning, or other fields more closely related to social welfare rather than the built environment.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Community Development is the most popular concentration in my program so they must be doing something right. I know there are lots of opportunities with it here in Chicago, I dont know about how it is percieved elsewhere.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public health
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Jun 2013, 1:16 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 4:39 PM
  3. Public health and planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 7:56 PM