Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wal-Mart can be a project!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Wal-Mart can be a project!

WOW!!! I was just reading “Wal-Mart breaks out of its box” and they talk about how even in urban areas, they cause finical hardships for communities by crushing wage, and bring down the per capita price point wage.

I think this topic would make a great school project.

Some of the Before/ After things that could be looked at are the

% of low to moderate income persons
    Income levels per capita
    Number of property maintenance violations
    % reduction of total number of businesses
    % of total dollars spend among stores
    % of new home construction and remodeling permits issued
    % of use at parks and other recreational places (maybe split between free and cost recreation)

It would also make a great economics project.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003
    Also you should look at vacancy rates along commercial corridors. Maybe the Austin neighborhood in Chicago would be a good case study. Now is the time to collect the "before" data!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    WOW!!! I was just reading “Wal-Mart breaks out of its box” and they talk about how even in urban areas, they cause finical hardships for communities by crushing wage, and bring down the per capita price point wage.

I think this topic would make a great school project.

Some of the Before/ After things that could be looked at are the

% of low to moderate income persons
    Income levels per capita
    Number of property maintenance violations
    % reduction of total number of businesses
    % of total dollars spend among stores
    % of new home construction and remodeling permits issued
    % of use at parks and other recreational places (maybe split between free and cost recreation)

It would also make a great economics project.
    There's an internship advertised on the APA website that deals in "Wal-Mart Research". The intern apparently will look at rural Vermont towns and the potential effects of WalMarts.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004

Wal-Mart and CA

Well, the impact begins even before Wal-mart constructs its first big box superstore in a given area. Just look at San Diego, with the grocery workers strike. The threat of Wal-mart supercenters' impending entry into the local market was one of the most important precipitating agents leading up to the strikes against Albertsons', Ralphs and Vons throughout the southland last year. The median grocery workers' salary would be cut in half and benefits by three-fourth's at a Wal-mart relative to an incumbent. The strike was over employers' desire to slash healthcare to Wal-mart type levels, so that they will be better prepared to compete when the superstores eventually enter the market.

Of course, that may not happen. From what I've heard, municipalities are falling over each other trying to keep the superstores off their turf (in one town, Wal-mart reportedly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, outspending their oppponents ten-to-one and still lost a referendum on a zoning change 75%/25%) and I've seen no real evidence that Wal-mart knows how to sell in a mixed language, mixed culture, land-expensive, extremely consumer-finicky region like SD, so even if they do succeed in entering the market, they may not be as successful as they have been in other areas.... one can always hope...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Apr 2008, 11:48 AM
  2. Wal-Mart and NYC
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 5:09 PM
  3. Looking for love at Wal-Mart
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Apr 2005, 5:38 PM