Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salary survey for planning jobs

Registered
    Mar 2009

Salary survey for planning jobs

I am not sure how they came to these figures but they seem about right. My guess is that they have asked individuals how many years experience and how much they are getting.

Spatial Job Survey

and to punch in your own data
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Wooley,

I noticed they only had 1 response for numbers of people surveyed. Not very accurate. Also I noticed the money went up by 15k for a planner between 1-2 years experience, not to mention the hourly rate going down by years of experience for planners.

The clowns at PIA should be conducting this or at least hire an independent consultant to do this like every other countries planning organisation. NZPI has a fraction of the number of planners as Oz and budget and they seem to pull it off just fine. Hays recruiting also has a survey but if someone really trusts recruiters well I guess that is there problem. Notice how the typical urban planning/design recruiter only lasts about 6 months at Hays/BBT/ etc? They run ads just to get CVs and often dont ask you before they send it out.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Maybe because you are being specific, I just did a GIS search just for Australia and there was 864 responses while urban planning only has 19. The PIA should be allowing its members to punch in data anonymously to get an idea about how much the profession earns. I guess one way to make it accurate is to get more and more planners and Cyburbians to punch in their data.

A little addition for people who are computer programmers can put in a planning website

Nice idea though
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yes I agree is pretty easy to a do a salary survey. I dont think PIA wants a salary survey. Its so easy even the PIA could run it successfully. The people that run PIA are the same people that run the crappy boutique planning and design firms that grad planners flee from every 6 months for another crappy boutique planning and design firm. Why would they want a salary survey? Then they would have to offer wages that are comparable with PB, Aecom, Arup, SKM, etc. A red flag for these firms is are the ads in the Australian Planner magazine that feature a listing of all the firms "CPPs" or the burnt out warehouses they call their offices.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA salary survey
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 12 May 2014, 4:45 PM
  2. APA salary survey 2008: how do you stack up?
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 10 Jun 2008, 6:24 PM
  3. APA salary survey
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 Jan 2008, 4:20 PM
  4. The unofficial Cyburbia salary survey
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 19 Jan 2007, 11:34 PM
  5. APA Salary Survey