Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: No Need To GTC: It's Toledo

Registered
    Mar 2004

Holy Toledo thats a big addition onto the mall!

I went down to Toledo to check out the scene over the weekend. I went to Franklin Park Mall and holy smokes is the new wing huge! I could hardly recognize the mall any more.

One thing that Toledo should be thankful for is if there is only going to be one successful mall in the toledo area that it is located within its limits. I still can't figure out why Southwyck is so dead, but Northtowne and is it Northwood? were built too far out into the sticks assuming more population growth than ever happened. I suppose the opening of Frenchtown in Monroe killed em off.

First the downtowns died
    Then the neighborhood shopping zones
    Now the major malls are drying up or becoming lifestyle centers

its an interesting thing to watch.

duplicate post.

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I went down to Toledo to check out the scene over the weekend. I went to Franklin Park Mall and holy smokes is the new wing huge! I could hardly recognize the mall any more.

One thing that Toledo should be thankful for is if there is only going to be one successful mall in the toledo area that it is located within its limits. I still can't figure out why Southwyck is so dead, but Northtowne and is it Northwood? were built too far out into the sticks assuming more population growth than ever happened. I suppose the opening of Frenchtown in Monroe killed em off.

First the downtowns died
    Then the neighborhood shopping zones
    Now the major malls are drying up or becoming lifestyle centers

its an interesting thing to watch.

Well, "interesting" isn't the word I would use.

As you stated, the only good thing about Franklin Park Mall is that it is in the corporated limits of Toledo, not some goddamn suburb. So when all those shopaholics flock in from Sylvania and Bedford in their big SUVs to buy up all that flashy, overpriced clothing and f-me pumps - and carry it around in those huge shopping feedbags with the twine handles - at least the City of Toledo gets the sales tax. That aside, the place serves no worthy purpose whatsoever other than as a mecca of worship for the comsumerist zombie monoculture.

If you live in West Toledo you can't even see a movie anymore without going to the mall. National Amusements closed down three (3!) freestanding 1960s - 1980s cinemas when the new ones were built inside the mall. They even tore down one that was less than 20 years old, not for another building, but for a parking lagoon for those behemoth SUVs.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If you are a regular reader of this "Toledo" thread you probably noticed that today, Wednesday, 11-9-05, there is an article on the Cyburbia front page link to Planetizen......discussing the fact that Toledo ranks fifth (5th!) in the states in "unwired-access" to the internet. The findings were so suprising that those who did the survey had to recheck their data.

Hah !

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Toledo ranks fifth (5th!) in the states in "unwired-access" to the internet. The findings were so suprising that those who did the survey had to recheck their data.
    I'd hardly find this surprising. Toledo does have a good mix of high-paying jobs, college students, and truckers (Corner of I-75 and I-89/I-90). I just find it amusing that all of these folks from the yuppielands think that old industrial cities are technological and cultural backwaters. While its true these places are no longer growing by eaps and bounds due to industrial ties, there is still a lot of wealth that was made in these areas and contributed back to the areas that help with today's wireless boom (U of T, Medical College of Ohio).

Registered
    May 2003

More Good & More Bad

Ahhh, Toledo, we hardly know thee......or do we?.....

Good.....The University of Toledo and the Medical University of Ohio (located just a few miles apart) are in initial talks that would merge the two (2) schools. Many universities in this here US of A have medical schools as part of their offering.....and these schools tend to be leaders in research, graduate programs, funding, etc.

A merger of these two (2) insitutions would create Ohio's third-largest university, behind only Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati. And because consolidation would have a positive effect on overhead costs, it would bode well for future growth.

Here's hoping it comes to fruition.

Bad.....Toledo is on the verge of having the largest skyscraper in the world to be the recipient of a payoff on an insurance policy that pays if a building's owner can't meet the payments. Owens-Illinois' 30-story glass tower in downtown Toledo is losing its' main tenant, O-I, to a new suburban world headquarters. Unless the owners meet a balloon payment (by finding new tenants) this will be a first.

Not the kind of "firsts" that you like your community to be associated with.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Some Good News

Toledo's Ford Motor Company stamping plant (800 employees in a suburban plant) and Toledo's large General Motors Corporation plant (2000 employees?) are both sitting a little LESS off the edge of their respective seats. Both plants are considered well-managed and productive and will not be part of recent closings that these large auto companies have planned.

Toledo's reputation as a "supplier park" for the automobile industry also continues to grow. This week three (3) more companies, each employing nearly 100 people, announced plans to move into the metro area.

With so much bad news in the manufacturing sector, it is nice to hear some good news.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo News Continues

Interesting that with all of the news of automotive company plant closings, Toledo is considered the top candidate for a new GM plant. This plant will be an addition to the current (large) GM transmission plan on Alexis Road in north central Toledo, neat the Michigan state line. The addition will not increase the number of employees, because of the manufacturing efficiencies that new technology will provide.

The GM announcement.....with Toledo considered the best candidate....is expected soon.
    _____

The merger of the University of Toledo and the Medical University of Ohio is moving at a fast pace. Most observers think that this is a great move for the community (and taxpayers). Eliminated will be a lot of organizational overhead and the upside includes a much-larger public presence, more research funding, and an expected higher ranking in university/college rankings.

It will become Ohio's third largest university.....only Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati will be bigger.
    _____

Toledo's new mayor gives his "State of the city" address tonight. This guy was mayor back in the late 1990's and was a very-loud cheerleader for the city and the area. He was also quite abrasive and continually was in the news, often for the "wrong reasons".

Toledo Express Airport, located about fifteen (15) miles outside of the corporate limits of Toledo, had a number of nearby private residences that fell within the airport's noise zone. As the government was purchasing those homes and moving the folks out, the mayor suggested that the abandoned homes (many only about 20 years old) be used for housing for the hearing-impaired.

Neat way to make the national news.

He's back.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Now if we can only clear the parking lots throught the greater region of SUV's, we Western Lake Erieans would be in even better shape.

Note to other Cyburbians, if you're in the market for an SUV now is the time to buy one, there are tens of thousands sitting around Detroit and Toledo waiting for a good home.

Registered
    May 2003

No Superbowl Reservations

Toledo hotel owners are singing the blues. We are just a little more than a week away from a Superbowl in Detroit (with my fave Pittsburgh Steelers ) and all of the "promised" hotel reservations have not happened.

Two (2) years ago, the local Toledo hotel folks were asked to block out about 7,500 rooms for the Superbowl. Because of Toledo's proximity to Detroit, about fifty (50) miles, it appeared that Toledo would reap an economic windfall from the visitors.

It ain't happening, baby.

What could change this is a "bus" load of Steeler fans hitting the Toledo hotel stock on Super Weekend. We shall see.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Toledo hotel owners are singing the blues. We are just a little more than a week away from a Superbowl in Detroit (with my fave Pittsburgh Steelers ) and all of the "promised" hotel reservations have not happened.

Two (2) years ago, the local Toledo hotel folks were asked to block out about 7,500 rooms for the Superbowl. Because of Toledo's proximity to Detroit, about fifty (50) miles, it appeared that Toledo would reap an economic windfall from the visitors.

It ain't happening, baby.

What could change this is a "bus" load of Steeler fans hitting the Toledo hotel stock on Super Weekend. We shall see.

Bear
    I'm sure that Steeler Fans will find you. We're all sold out up here, I've heard some folks are going to Frankenmuth, I'd much rather be in T-town.

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Zoo & Detroit Zoo

The Detroit Zoo is in the news. It looks like funding for the Detroit Zoo is going to stop, possibly as soon as May, 2006. That zoo will close, the animals will be sold (over the course of a year), and one (1) of the largest metropolitan areas in the USA will not have a Zoo to be proud of.

In articles about the closing, the Toledo Zoo is used as an example of how to go down the funding trail in the right manner. Both zoos have attendance in the range of 1,000,000 per/year.....but Toledo is a small metro (600,000) compared to Detroit (4,000,000).

Other zoos that have run into financial problems have been looking at the way that Toledo arranged their income stream AND actual ownership.

Toledo's Zoo did receive some negative attention in the last year because of the unexpected deaths of some animals. A new Zoo Director has been hired, and if this means anything, it could be seen as a positive: The first thing she did was to say "No" to the expensive automobile that was a job perk.....she said, "Gimme a Jeep Liberty, instead." (Jeep Liberty is a Toledo-made product.)

This Bear has been to a few zoos across the country. Still think that Toledo's is the best. My grand-daughter (about 8 at the time of my visit) loved the Children's Zoo in Fort Wayne.

Polar Bear Exhibit
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Detroit City Council is playing games in a power trip. The present deal is to have the Zoological society run the Zoo, but the City will retain ownership. Over the past 15 years or so the City has given this zoo some major upgrades, including a new gorrilla area, a wonderful artric ring of life (polar bears will swim about you as you walk through a thick plastic tube), Amphibnianville, and mumerous other inprovements.

These were all done with the generousity of local charitable groups and large corporations. Should they close this due to something this stupid (it will save the City $5 million in its budget), my greatest fear is people will stop donating things to the City in general.

Toledo has a great little zoo. The Detroit zoo in comparison is way too big. I think thats why Toledo attracts so many from such a large area. They can easily get through the zoo with the kids in an afternoon, then hit the Libbey Glass outlet, or the Docks (maybe include a morning trip to the art museum). Toledo's zoo is a great asset to the City.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Needs To Stay Out Of The National News

Seems like every time that Toledo is in the news, it is for a not-so-pleasant reason. T-Town was in the news again this past week.....

Muslim Charity Tied To Extremists.....On Sunday the Federal Government padlocked the headquarters of a Toledo-based charity. The charity, Kind Hearts, had raised millions of dollars.....but the feds said that the group had ties to the Palestine organization called Hamas.

This raised the temperature of many of the 6000 Muslims in the Toledo area.

Three Residents Charged In Terror Plot.....Over the weekend, three (3) men were arrested by federal authorities. All three (3) had been living in Toledo. Two (2) were arrested at their Toledo homes or businesses. The other was arrested overseas. All of this came to light during a press conference held by the U.S. Attorney General.

They were accused of trying to make bombs so they could conduct a "holy war" against the United States.....or U. S. interests overseas. They even were supposedly testing their bomb-making skills on the 4th of July, so the explosions would not be considered unusual.
    _____

OTOH.....the investigations into the alleged terrorists was helped by local Muslims. Good for them.

BTW.....a Muslim works for this Bear. I haven't had a chance to talk with him to catch his view.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    This Bear has been to a few zoos across the country. Still think that Toledo's is the best. My grand-daughter (about 8 at the time of my visit) loved the Children's Zoo in Fort Wayne.

Polar Bear Exhibit
    The Children's Zoo is pretty fun, if a little tired in parts.

Registered
    May 2003

More Toledo Ups & Downs

We Toledoans have an identity problem, don't we?

The news from NW Ohio just keeps coming, most is bad, some is good.....

Dana Corporation.....Traditionalists would love the world headquarters of automotive parts giant Dana Corporation. Set on slightly rolling terrain in Toledo's west side, it looks more like corporate for an insurance company, rather than HQ for one (1) of the world's largest producers of transmissions, axles, etc. The buuilding would make a great set as a southern mansion. (A BIG southern mansion.)

The company has really struggled during the recent hard times for automotive-related companies. Also, a huge accounting error forced the company to re-state earnings. On Friday, Dana Corporation closed at around $2 a share. About a year or so ago it was at $17. Banruptcy is being discussed in business conversations about Dana.

Shipbuilding.....Toledo has always had shipbuilding yards. The original (and very famous if you know the Great Lakes) Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw was built in Toledo. Other major carriers were built and/or repaired at Toledo's yards. Even American Shipbuilding once had a huge facility on the Maumee River. (If you know baseball, you know New York Yankee owner George Stienbrenner.....American was his company.)

One (1) of the shipyards has been closesd for a number of years. About two (2) years ago a large Great Lakes ship repair corporation grabbed some tax incentives and announced plans to refurbish the yard, bringing back a number of high-paying jobs. That deal fell through.

This week, another group has announced similar plans.....so Toledo, located on the largest river that feeds the Great Lakes, will probably get another shipyard.

General Motors Investments.....With all of the bad news for General Motors, the Toledo GM faciliy, a huge GM Powertrain plant on the northwest side of town, appears to have won the battle for a huge tech investment. The plant will be getting a huge addition.....and the focus will be on the manufacture of 6-speed transmissions (better for fuel consumption). The plant is the winner because it always rank as number one (1) in productivity.....which says good things about the automation and tech investments in that facility and says great things about the workforce.

A New Arena, It's Location & The Marina District.....The central business district of Toledo is located on the west side of the Maumee River. In a stretch about a mile long on the east side of the river, there is a a undeveloped parcel of land. This stretch has the Toledo Sports Arena (just about the worst arena you could ever be in.....trust me on this!), a number of old buildings that are falling down, and an old Toledo Edison plant.

For the last few years the local administrations have been developing plans for what is called "The Marina District". Elaborate plans included small retail, apartments, river walks.....and discussions have been going on with Bass Pro (a large sportsmen/fishing retail chain). Original plans also included a new arena in this area, replacing the funky Sports Arena.

A city-funded survey showed that the best place for a new arena was in the central business district, on the west side of the river, next to the new Fifth Third baseball stadium. So.....all the politicians argue about the status of the Marina District and the location of any new arena.

BTW.....also on the east side of the river is an area called "The Docks". This is a group of restaurants, located on the river, with great views of the west side of the river's skyline. The Docks have been quite successful.
    _____

All of these Toledo topics are embedded in Cyburbia subject matter.....redevelopment of central business districts, maximizing natural assets (as in the Maumee River), funding for public arenas, large corporations with large money problems, the quest to bring in high-paying jobs to your area, etc.

Toledo (and the metro) seem to be a good study for a lot of these rustbelt town issues.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Update On Transmission Plant & Dana

Dana Corporation.....Traditionalists would love the world headquarters of automotive parts giant Dana Corporation. Set on slightly rolling terrain in Toledo's west side, it looks more like corporate for an insurance company, rather than HQ for one (1) of the world's largest producers of transmissions, axles, etc. The buuilding would make a great set as a southern mansion. (A BIG southern mansion.)

The company has really struggled during the recent hard times for automotive-related companies. Also, a huge accounting error forced the company to re-state earnings. On Friday, Dana Corporation closed at around $2 a share. About a year or so ago it was at $17. Banruptcy is being discussed in business conversations about Dana.

General Motors Investments.....With all of the bad news for General Motors, the Toledo GM faciliy, a huge GM Powertrain plant on the northwest side of town, appears to have won the battle for a huge tech investment. The plant will be getting a huge addition.....and the focus will be on the manufacture of 6-speed transmissions (better for fuel consumption). The plant is the winner because it always rank as number one (1) in productivity.....which says good things about the automation and tech investments in that facility and says great things about the workforce.

Bear
    What can you say about a business week like this in Toledo? More of the good and the bad.....

General Motors made it official that they were making the big dollar investment in northwest Toledo's Powertrain Plant. Lots of smiling faces over that news.

Later in the same week, Dana Corporation (a Toledo Fortune 500 Company), saw its' stock free-fall. On Friday, 3-3-06, they filed for bankruptcy protection.

Side Note: My Dad had a business relationship of sorts with the original company that eventually morphed into Dana Corporation. That company was called Spicer Transmission and they had a big plant on the west side of Toledo. In the 1940's and early 1950's my Dad was in business was another local guy, selling box lunches to Spicer employees.

Eventually my Dad grew tired of sharing the business and moved on. The other guy formed a company that grew to be one (1) of the largest food service organizations in the midwest.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo In The News

Toledo continues its' trend of being in the news spotlight.....

Too bad the spotlight usually shows some ugly stuff.

Catholic Priests.....If you saw the highly-acclaimed flick "Twist of Faith" you know it was all about a Toledo firefighter who tells the camera all about the sexual assualts on him (when he was a young boy) committed by a Toledo Roman Catholic priest. The movie won some awards.

Now, the national news media is here for the murder trial of Father Robinson. He has been charged with killing a nun, about 25 years ago, in a chapel at a hospital. The charge also (supposedly) involves ritual killings that a group of Toledo priests and laymen were involved in.

No Bass Pro.....The word on the street is that Bass Pro Shops are going to pass on the chance to locate a mega-store in Toledo, along the river in the area being developed that is known as "The Marina District".

They are still considering a Toledo-area location.....the highly-coveted retail site that is at the junction of I-80, I-90, and I-75. This area is known as "The Golden Triangle" because of its' proximity next to these major interstates. It is in Rossford (and Perrysburg Township).

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Toledo continues its' trend of being in the news spotlight.....

No Bass Pro.....The word on the street is that Bass Pro Shops are going to pass on the chance to locate a mega-store in Toledo, along the river in the area being developed that is known as "The Marina District".

They are still considering a Toledo-area location.....the highly-coveted retail site that is at the junction of I-80, I-90, and I-75. This area is known as "The Golden Triangle" because of its' proximity next to these major interstates. It is in Rossford (and Perrysburg Township).

Bear
    That would surprise me, there is already one in the Detroit area, and a Cabellas 15 minutes N of Toledo. Now somewhere like Sandusky......
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    One of Toledo's inner-ring suburbs, Maumee, OH, was just named as one of the best places in America to raise a family. Three communities from Ohio made that list of 100 places.

This Bear lived in Maumee for a short time (1969), played basketball in Maumee all year long (inside and outside) for more than twenty-five years, and have enjoyed more than a fair share of adult beverages at Maumee taverns (including Dale's Bar, a favorite).

An ex-wife was from Maumee and a present-day bro-in-law now resides in Maumee. His wife commented just the other day that she was suprised that the racial makeup of the city was changing. (She was not being racist.....just making a comment.)

Maumee has been very successful in luring business away from central core city Toledo. Their huge industrial and business park (Arrowhead) has been a bright spot for the area, but not quite a favorite of Toledo leaders who watch their companies hit the road for the 'burbs.

Downtown Maumee is very nice. It is at the top of a hill (from the Maumee River valley) and has some nice buildings. Recently a community group worked to restore the old Maumee Theater, a small-town theater that had been closed for many years. The city actively promotes the "Spring Walleye Run" (thousands fish the Maumee River at Maumee when walleyes and white bass are spawning). In the Summer, the city has a big street festival that is starting to rival in size some of the other festivals in NW Ohio.

As mentioned in an "agri-business" thread, Maumee is world headquarters for a very successful company called The Anderson's. In addition to huge midwest grain elevators, the company has general stores, manufactures products made from grains (such as dog food, fertilizer, and now....Ethanol), and is one of the nation's largest owners of railcars.

Much of the housing stock in Maumee is right up that middle-class alley.....moderate homes, mostly small ranch-style homes and some great older homes near the downtown. Some of the homes that are perched on top of the hill that overlooks the Maumee River are beautiful. The area near the Ohio Turnpike interchange has many hotels, motels, restaurants, car dealers, strip centers, etc. The big interchange also is adjacent to a massive UPS hub that has its' own exit/entrance to the toll road.

The Lucas County Recreation Center (ball fields, county fairgrounds) is in Maumee. One of the newest hospitals in the area is in Maumee. A nice system of parks that hug the river is also in Maumee. These park areas include the remains of canal locks. (And these parks are filled with deer. They are everywhere....pretty to look at but almost at a nuisance level.)

All of these things do, indeed, make Maumee, OH, a nice place to raise a family. Good for them and their award.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    One of Toledo's inner-ring suburbs, Maumee, OH, was just named as one of the best places in America to raise a family. Three communities from Ohio made that list of 100 places.

This Bear lived in Maumee for a short time (1969), played basketball in Maumee all year long (inside and outside) for more than twenty-five years, and have enjoyed more than a fair share of adult beverages at Maumee taverns (including Dale's Bar, a favorite).

An ex-wife was from Maumee and a present-day bro-in-law now resides in Maumee. His wife commented just the other day that she was suprised that the racial makeup of the city was changing. (She was not being racist.....just making a comment.)

Maumee has been very successful in luring business away from central core city Toledo. Their huge industrial and business park (Arrowhead) has been a bright spot for the area, but not quite a favorite of Toledo leaders who watch their companies hit the road for the 'burbs.

Downtown Maumee is very nice. It is at the top of a hill (from the Maumee River valley) and has some nice buildings. Recently a community group worked to restore the old Maumee Theater, a small-town theater that had been closed for many years. The city actively promotes the "Spring Walleye Run" (thousands fish the Maumee River at Maumee when walleyes and white bass are spawning). In the Summer, the city has a big street festival that is starting to rival in size some of the other festivals in NW Ohio.

As mentioned in an "agri-business" thread, Maumee is world headquarters for a very successful company called The Anderson's. In addition to huge midwest grain elevators, the company has general stores, manufactures products made from grains (such as dog food, fertilizer, and now....Ethanol), and is one of the nation's largest owners of railcars.

Much of the housing stock in Maumee is right up that middle-class alley.....moderate homes, mostly small ranch-style homes and some great older homes near the downtown. Some of the homes that are perched on top of the hill that overlooks the Maumee River are beautiful. The area near the Ohio Turnpike interchange has many hotels, motels, restaurants, car dealers, strip centers, etc. The big interchange also is adjacent to a massive UPS hub that has its' own exit/entrance to the toll road.

The Lucas County Recreation Center (ball fields, county fairgrounds) is in Maumee. One of the newest hospitals in the area is in Maumee. A nice system of parks that hug the river is also in Maumee. These park areas include the remains of canal locks. (And these parks are filled with deer. They are everywhere....pretty to look at but almost at a nuisance level.)

All of these things do, indeed, make Maumee, OH, a nice place to raise a family. Good for them and their award.

Bear

I was surprised how nice Maumee was. I also really liked the old part of Perrysburg (the main street and the original grid). Some of the McMansions in Perrysburg and nearby are annoying, but, overall a lovely area.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I was surprised how nice Maumee was. I also really liked the old part of Perrysburg (the main street and the original grid). Some of the McMansions in Perrysburg and nearby are annoying, but, overall a lovely area.
    Back in the 1970's, this Bear lived on Fifth Street, grid-pattern, Perrysburg, OH. The tiny house was built in the 1800's and it was not insulated. The walls were so funky that when it snowed and the wind blew we would have little piles of snow inside of the house, along the wall.

That house is now really nice (not from my efforts) and is part of the historical district feel that you get in Perrysburg's core. Downtown Perrysburg is quite attractive. Some of the dive bars that used to be in the downtown area are long gone and have been replaced by nice little shops. When Piatt's Bakery was still in business a regular visitor was Bob Hope (with relatives in the area). President Reagan did a whistlestop in downtown Perrysburg, during one of his campaigns for the presidency. (The train tracks are still utilized, but not often.)

The physical relationships to Maumee? The two Toledo suburbs face each other across the Maumee River. Downtown Maumee's main street, Conant Street, leads directly down the hill to the bridge that crosses the river. Downtown Perrysburg is about one mile northeast of that bridge.

Perrysburg, Perrysburg Township, and Rossford are vibrant and fast-growing suburbs. The new folks in these 'burbs are not from the "outside world", though.....they are residents from Toledo (primarily). Perrysburg has two very large sprawl areas. One is along US 20, east of the I-75 interchange. Throw out the name of just about any big box and it is along this stretch. Wally World is in the process of developing their site plan. The other sprawl area is on Ohio 25. That heavy-traffic area adjacent to I-475/US 23 has a new Lifestyle Center, new office and commerce parks, and the new world headquarters for Fortune 500 corporation Owens-Illinois is almost completed. (O-I is leaving behind a 30-story skyscraper in downtown Toledo.)

The southern boundaries of Perrysburg, along the river, include some of the biggest new houses that I have ever seen. Many of these were built on the site of a Catholic Seminary that closed (and sold the land to developers). For years I played basketball at that seminary. The northern boundaries of Perrysburg, along the river, have huge estates that have been re-developed into McMansion sites. An example would be the XXXX Estate, which used to be hundreds of acres, including a huge mansion on the river. The mansion remains but now a gated community is on a large portion of that land.

BTW.....Maumee and Perrysburg don't just share the Maumee River valley view. They have an intense high school sports rivalry. Maumee Panthers versus Perrysburg Yellow Jackets.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Maumee Award

Maumee, OH.....a Toledo suburb oft-mentioned in this thread.....was one of a handful of USA cities to by awarded as an "All American City", in competition that just finished in mid-June, 2006.

Congrats to the folks in that fine community. Get up the signs.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Toledo's Mayor Out Of Control? & Water

Yeah, Toledo made the national news again. This time for a shouting match (almost turning into a push and shove affair) between the Chief of Police and Hizoner The Mayor. The Chief was relieved of his top badge duties (back to being a Captain) and the Mayor placed the former Chief back in the top chair. (He had kicked this guy down about a half year ago.)

They were arguing about the gang problem in Toledo. Others who have been interviewed indicate that Toledo's Mayor is out of control.....continually shouting at subordinates, demanding that people promote the city with the enthusiasm that he promotes it with. This morning he took all of his managers on another bus tour, going through certain areas of the city and pointing out the problems and issues. He is so enthusiastic he actually jumped out of the bus and re-stacked old garbage cans in their proper place.

While I admire his enthusiasm, a good leader doesn't slide back to shouting and intimidation to the extent that this guy does. A quickie poll on a local TV station today asked the question, "Is he out of control?" The responses.....90% said "yes". (Responders certainly were the pixxed off folks but that number is very high.)
    _____

A week ago, the severe flooding in northwest Ohio, including Toledo, made national news. However, the flooding here pales in comparison to the news on the wires from the eastern U.S.

Toledo's damage estimate was that 3% of the houses were damaged. Most of that damage was in the form of flooded basements. There were a few houses that sustained major damage above the ground, including some that moved off of their foundations.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Interesting

Very strange way for Toledo to again make the national news.....

Last night a 17-year old boy was shot in the buttocks.....on Boody Street, in south Toledo.
    _____

Hickory Farms of Ohio was founded in Toledo, back about 1957. In the late 1970's the headquarters was moved to suburban Maumee. Most of you probably remember when Hickory Farms stores were in malls all over the country. As malls went out of favor, HF morphed from full stores to aisle kiosks.....and now is mainly a catalog and holiday season store.

In addition to the national headquarters, HF has a huge distribution center in Maumee, in the same industrial park. Today they announced that they plan on building a new state-of-the-art distribution center in the Joliet, IL, area. This move is furthered by the fact that most of the products that HF uses comes from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois.

Officials are not saying if Hickory Farms will keep the Maumee DC. They did promise to keep HQ in Maumee. (My Father was a good friend of the founder. Drinking buddies. )
    _____

Strange that metro Toledo is also home to world headquarters of another holiday food specialist.....Honey Baked Hams. No wonder we are one of America's fattest cities.....if the cheese and summer sausage don't get ya, the honey ham will.
    _____

And back to buttock wounds.....

A friend of mine (now retired) was the former Executive Director of the Toledo-Lucas County Safety Council (which morphed into the Safety Council of NW Ohio). At a safety convention, back in the 1970's (in Chicago), he was leaving a nightclub with some safety buddies and he was stabbed in the buttocks.

His rear-end plight made national news at that time.....which makes me believe that Toledo really is the "butt" of all jokes.

We had a great time kidding him after that little episode.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New from Toledo
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Nov 2011, 11:18 AM
  2. Buffalo VS Toledo
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11