Urban planning community

Poll results: What shoes should Donk get?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young and Trendy

5 18.52%
  • Old and Classic

12 44.44%
  • Other

10 37.04%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something less serious - shoes

Registered
    Sep 2001

Something less serious - shoes

Alright, now for something a bit less serious, but still important in life, shoes.

I need to get a new pair or two of shoes for work/dress.

A girl I had a date with suggested I try Campers as they were "cool and fashionable"

I lean more towards, classic styling.

So everyone, what should I get "new and hip" or "classic and traditional". The colour will be brown, to go with my planner's uniform.

Other suggestions, Note shoes must be either made in North America, the EU or by a union shop.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I thought that Rockports were part of the unofficial uniform.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Whoa, I definitely vote for something in the middle! But I also say lose the classic shoes, unless you're dressed to the nines every day in a very conservative office.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Those Campers look like they're some sweet kicks but are probably only fit to wear on casual fridays. I agree with ZG, go for something more middle of the road.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    go with classic and traditional
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I should have added a few things, won't wear rockports or other shoes made in China or other exploitive manufacturing location. I prefer shoes with a leather insole, they cup and fit your foot so much better once they are broken in.

Right now I am wearing an eight year old pair of brown wingtips made at the same factory as the shoes in the link (resoled 8 or nine times, reheeled about the same) unfortunately they are looking their age.

Any suggestions for a middle of the road shoe, that meets my requirements?

Saddle shoes be an OK compromise?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Try ecco shoes, made in Denmark. Their "city" series is a good cross between classic and casual, and they are extremely comfortable.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Dec 2001

shoes

Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Try ecco shoes, made in Denmark. Their "city" series is a good cross between classic and casual, and they are extremely comfortable.

trendy shoes get my vote.. and apparently the only one.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Those eccos are nise, go with it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well if you do decide to go for classy, hit up Prudence for the family discount at Allan-Edmonds.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I tend to go with a more classic line of shoes professionally, but I wear trendier dress shoes as casual wear, sometimes sneaking them into my Friday attire. I like J & M, but not sure if they are still made in the US. Used to be in Tennessee I think.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    def. something with a squared-off toe. no pointy toed shoes.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2003
    BOOM, now I am in my zone. I spend 3 years *summers working in a high end shoe store as a sales person… not a clerk, but someone who would help the customer find the best possible shoe for the best possible value, and one that would have the most positive impact on their lives.

I picked other because first of all if he is asking about what type of shoe should he by it makes me realize that he is a little unsure if he wants class or style. I say get both… Go find your self a Tradhome Shoe Store, walk in and let them know that you want to try on an Ecco in an Oxford Style, then sit down and let them do that they do best. That is find you a shoe what will make you walk you of the store feeling good. Eccos are trendy and classic, but what is even more, you will not find a more comfortable shoe for that price range. Yes they do cost more than the Wal Mart brand, but it is a shoe what will last, and allow you last on your feet. It will also provide you much needed support, preventing body pain and fatigue.

OK I am done.

P.S. I own 5 pairs, one dressy wing tip, a black oxford, a brown ridge toe for casual, a pair of sandals, and the track II work boot.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    BOOM, now I am in my zone. I spend 3 years *summers working in a high end shoe store as a sales person… not a clerk, but someone who would help the customer find the best possible shoe for the best possible value, and one that would have the most positive impact on their lives.

I picked other because first of all if he is asking about what type of shoe should he by it makes me realize that he is a little unsure if he wants class or style. I say get both… Go find your self a Tradhome Shoe Store, walk in and let them know that you want to try on an Ecco in an Oxford Style, then sit down and let them do that they do best. That is find you a shoe what will make you walk you of the store feeling good. Eccos are trendy and classic, but what is even more, you will not find a more comfortable shoe for that price range. Yes they do cost more than the Wal Mart brand, but it is a shoe what will last, and allow you last on your feet. It will also provide you much needed support, preventing body pain and fatigue.

OK I am done.

P.S. I own 5 pairs, one dressy wing tip, a black oxford, a brown ridge toe for casual, a pair of sandals, and the track II work boot.
    This message brought to you courtesy of Ecco (TM). For pricing and product information please contact michaelskis@yahoo.com
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a shoe whore. I LOVE shoes. My wife calls me Imeldo Marcos. I lean to the funkier side of things meself, but still retain a classic pair for the conservative days. While the Campers are pretty swanky looking shoes, I don't think I'd go for them actually. I like the Fluevogs of the world(though I don't think they're 'friendly' shoes). The pair I'd suggest for you can currently be found for sale at Sierra Trading Post ( http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...?base_no=66046 ). They're made by Chaco in Paonia Colorado ( http://www.chacosan.com/ ), so that critera is met. The pilosophy of the company is great, read up on them. The price is good, actually really good. I wouldn't hesitate to pay for these at $90. In fact I think I am gonna order a pair. The fit is wonderful, and the work/construction of the shoe is very good (leauges better than ANY other sandal on the market). I've two pairs of their sandals and LOVE them. Durable, comfortable, tough. Good sh!t for sure. They've got a nice roomy toe box for comfortable tootsies and big sox in the winter.

And to boot, they match very well with the planner uniform!

Buy 'em!
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    You need Blundstones

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As others have come clean, I must too.

My name is donk and I am a slave to my shoes.

Thnaks for teh advice, looks like a hunt for ecco's.

I own the following shoes:

1 pair of loafers(rarely wear them, in poor shape - 15 years old)
    1 pair of black wingtips (rarely wear, the toe is too pointy and soft and they need to be resoled)
    1 pair of brown wingtips (these are the ones that need to be replaced)
    1 pair of black oxfords (shoes in best condition)
    2 pairs of running shoes (need to replace at least one pair)
    1 pair of chuck taylors (would like to replace, but can't-now made in viet nam)
    2 pairs of birkenstocks (1 pair is used as slippers, the other needs a resole)
    1 pair of hinking boots (needs to be replaced)
    1 pair of maine hunting boots (just got resoled at Bean, should be good for another 5 years)
    4 pairs of cycling shoes (need to replace at least 2 pairs)
    1 pair of casual running shoes

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Actually some of them are manufactured here in the community I work in.....and they're expanding to double the size soon. http://www.ecco.com/us/
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Birkenstock makes a line of business-style shoes that are funky yet respectable, and very comfy. I think they can even be resoled, although I'm not sure about that.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    3 words, steel toe boots. Got a pair of Doc Martin steel toe boots for x-mas that replaced old army steel toe. Good for all occasions and kicking zombie skulls in tense situations
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2001
    i just realized that the shoes your looking for are:

high quality, durable, manufactured by highly trained and well rewarded individuals.

they have been promoted in a rap song.

what's not to love?

Pic: Air Force Ones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nike-air-force-one-shoes[1].jpeg  
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    You need Blundstones

mmmm. Blundies! I've always wanted to grab a pair of those. It's just hard to find (any) shoe in size 13/48...
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Eccos are really nice. So are Mephistos, which are very similar to Birkenstocks. Always go with comfy, yet stylish, but built on classic themes. I would wear Birks everyday if I could, but sandals are not conducive to the workplace wardrobe.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Kenneth Cole's are nice. Made in Italy, I think...

They arent brown, but here's the pair I have:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p?dp=546865&c=3

"What you stand for is more important than what you stand in. Fortunately, Kenneth Cole New York can help you with both. An American designer known for both his social conscience, and a chic, urban aesthetic, Kenneth Cole translates what's hip and what's now to your life, to your closet. With a variety of styles, all with the distinctive Kenneth Cole flair, these shoes are sure to make a statement."

Heres the organizations he supports:

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/aboutus/links.asp

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by martini
    mmmm. Blundies! I've always wanted to grab a pair of those. It's just hard to find (any) shoe in size 13/48...
    I'm not sure what that size is in Australian (I think our shoe sizing is not an international standard), but when you attend the Antipodean Laefest(TM), I will take you to the best Blundstone store in NSW.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Show off your shoes!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 21 Sep 2011, 12:39 PM
  2. Walking a Mile in Different Shoes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 8:55 AM
  3. Do you take care of your shoes?