Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do dogs know?

Registered
    Aug 2001

What do dogs know?

The Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association will be inducting three Labrador Retrievers into their Pet Hall of Fame. Their human's car rolled and she was thrown from the vehicle, suffering severe injuries. While one of the dogs remained to look after her, the other two ran to a house a mile away, then scratched and barked at the door to draw attention. When a man came outside to look, the dogs took him by the sleeve and tugged to get him out to the road, where he could see the accident.

So how much do dogs understand and think? These three performed some remarkable feats. There are humans who would not have figured it out. How did they know to have one of them remain behind? How did they know to go for help, and where to stop? How did they know they needed to get the man at the door to where he could see the accident? It does make a person start to wonder just how sentient another animal can be.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well if dogs can detect melanomas (skin cancer) and sense the prelude of a heart attack...(real cases!) then why couldn't they know that they should have acted that way.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There was a story in the paper a couple months ago about a dog that was injured and found its way across town to its vet's office. The vet staff found the dog waiting on the doorstep when they arrived for work.

Dogs are like people. Some are smart; some are idiots.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Dogs have brains and DOgs have hearts too.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My dog thinks (read: knows) she runs the house...at least when she is the only one there.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My brother's border collie once dislodged something that was stuck in his mother-in-law's throat. She was choking and Bizzie saw what was happening and ran over to her and pounced on her chest, dislodging the food.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    My brother's border collie once dislodged something that was stuck in his mother-in-law's throat. She was choking and Bizzie saw what was happening and ran over to her and pounced on her chest, dislodging the food.
    Sounds like the dog just wanted whatever the woman was eating...

There are humans who would not have figured it out. How did they know to have one of them remain behind? How did they know to go for help, and where to stop? How did they know they needed to get the man at the door to where he could see the accident? It does make a person start to wonder just how sentient another animal can be.
    Maybe the dog is instictively/ knowingly working within the pack mentality applied to humans. I think dogs are brilliant creatures.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dogs can sometimes do things that strike you as incredibly perceptive and/or intelligent. Maybe you've heard about how they are now training dogs to help people who suffer from epilepsy. Evidently, some dogs have an ability to detect the unusual neural activity that preceeds a seizure and can provide their owners with a few moments of warning so they can sit down or get to safety before it strikes.

I would swear that my German Shepard can tell when my wife is suffering from a hypoglycemic episode (she's diabetic). She paws at her and acts strange enough to draw my attention......and we've all seen how smart Lassie was - WOOF WOOF! "what's that Lassie? You say Jimmy has fallen into a well and needs our help..."

On the other hand, I made the mistake of taking my dog's advice to invest heavily in no-load mutual funds back in late 2000 and really paid the price when the market took a dive a year later. So she's not as smart as some people would have you believe.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    On the other hand, I made the mistake of taking my dog's advice to invest heavily in no-load mutual funds back in late 2000 and really paid the price when the market took a dive a year later. So she's not as smart as some people would have you believe.....
    *note to all... is ALWAYS this way at work.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    *note to all... is ALWAYS this way at work.
    So he consults his dog before making application decisions? And here I use a magic 8 ball.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    So he consults his dog before making application decisions? And here I use a magic 8 ball.
    No, I do NOT consult my dog prior to making all application decisions.....I wish to be clear on the point. My dog acts in an ADVISORY capacity (and then only in matters pertaining to the Zoning Board). I always make the tough calls on the wording of staff analyses and seldom rely on my doggie to do more than research the factual issues involved in cases. I can't tell you how many mistakes of hers I've caught (e.g. recommending a use variance where clearly a rezoning is called for), but then I remember that she's just a dog for cryin' out loud!!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003

Dog eye for the human guy

Maybe every time they puke/crap on the carpet they're saying "This place SO needs a makeover"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    "Maybe every time they puke/crap on the carpet they're saying "This place SO needs a makeover" (originally posted by BiteMeElmo)

If that's true, then I'm living with the entire team of Queer Eye and Martha Stewart
    I don't dream. I plan.

When I was a kid, my dad rescued a German Shepherd runt that had been abandoned and "adopted" by his company. It was living in a 50,000 sf metal warehouse and had become very scared by thunder. When we brought the dog home, we discovered that she could "predict" the approach of a thunderstorm and would hide behind an over-stuffed chair -- literally shaking -- until the storm passed.

Off-topic:
    She once ate an entire bottle of One-A-Day vitamins, including much of the glass. For a week, when she sat by the door to be let out for a walk, we all ran to the door or the resulting "accident" would be more than anyone could stand.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here is my favorite dog story: Summer after freshman year in college, I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed. When I came out of the influence of the drugs prescribed, I would write a note, roll it up, put it under the dog's collar and say "Go find grandma" and she would find my mom wherever she was in the house and whine until Mom read the message. When Mom had to leave town and my brother tried to drag me out of bed to make breakfast for him, the dog darn near attacked him, I'm sure because I was so sick.

Best damn dog ever. Don't we always have one who is just "the" dog??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    My dog certainly doesn't like it when we start packing our bags (like me now) to go on a trip.. he always gets so sad about it...
    Ah dang I'm gonna miss him.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Grew up with a black lab,
    talk about cleaning up after being in salt water (either the ocean or Barnegat Bay)
    rinse and rinse again!

Dog never grasped the the concept that when chasing ducks they just fly away.
    was not a huntin dawg.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess

Dogs are like people. Some are smart; some are idiots.

I think the ratio of smart to idiot is higher in the canine world though....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 4:52 PM
  2. Rescue dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26