Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday 2/24/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Tuesday 2/24/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

Wow… it is that time already? Well ok…

Being that I am a little sore today from changing my work out program at the gym made me wonder… I know some are at the Gym on days that end in Y, others like the 12 ounce curl on the sofa… and others run…

What do you do for a work out, if any, and how often?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't work out, although (of course) I should.

B-)
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I coach a soccer team of 10-year-olds and also officiate at the games. That gives me a good workout (run, stop, run, stop) twice a week for about 24 weeks of the year.

Otherwise, nothing formal: ride bikes, shoot baskets, kick a soccer ball around, and occasionally play tennis with my son.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I swim before work twice a week, go to a Pilates class once a week, and I try to walk to stuff in town as much as possible. I've never been so fit before!! Swimming is great for the abs.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    During the super-cold months we don't do much of anything... but we got out on a nice long walk the other day and I'm hoping to get out again this weekend. Once it starts warming up (and staying light after work!), I'm sure we'll be outside more often... mostly walking, riding bikes and throwing the frisbee around is what I foresee. I don't know if it counts as 'exercise', but I'm looking forward to spring to start gardening... it will be my first ever foray into real gardening.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I "try" to do someting everyday, although on average it is about 5 day a week. I don't have a set schedule I just do whatever I have time for and feel up to.

In the winter I:
    x-country ski, lift weights, snow shoe and ride my bike

In the summer I:
    Mountain bike, road bike, lift weights, hike, mow my lawns and kayak

I try to lift weights at least 3 days a week and get cardio the other days.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I walk to do 95% of my errands. Although I am only about 10 short blocks from downtown, that walk a few times a week keeps me in good enough shape.

I'm also known to take the occaisional walk in the woods at lunch, just for the heck of it.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I don't workout.

Though, we live in a walkable and pedestrian friendly urban environment, so we walk to do everything such as gorceries, church, general shopping, exploration, etc., so hopefully that helps makeup for our lack of fitness excerise for fitness sake.

I'm ready for warmer weather, so I can get out on my bike.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I get out of bed more often and I do more "normal" stuff, like shop and Have A Life, than when I was bedridden and sleeping 18 to 20 hours a day. My workout program has been so successful that after making the arduous trip to Sacramento to see my pulmonologist yesterday, I actually came back and Ran Errands, instead of going to bed, like I used to. He is so amazed at my incredible health that he doesn't want to see me again for 6 months. He used to see me every 3 months, then every 4 months.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Walking -
    Do stairs at work - office is on the third floor.
    Bicycling - indoors on my trainer during one time zone
    and oustside in the other time zone.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    For me, I go jogging two mornings a week, and then I go to the gym on 4 days a week for weight training… One day for Arms, one for shoulders and back, one for legs, and one for chest. Each work out is 6 movements in 3 groups of supersets…and I try to be done with each group in 6-8 minutes with a 3-5 rest in-between each. I change it up (the movements, order, or weights) the last Monday of each month to prevent getting burnt out, and to provide maximum results. I have been doing this consistently for about a year and a half now. I also run one mile for warm up, and a ˝ mile for a cool down.

The best part, is I sit in the steam room for a while after work out.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I get out of bed more often and I do more "normal" stuff, like shop and Have A Life, than when I was bedridden and sleeping 18 to 20 hours a day. My workout program has been so successful that after making the arduous trip to Sacramento to see my pulmonologist yesterday, I actually came back and Ran Errands, instead of going to bed, like I used to. He is so amazed at my incredible health that he doesn't want to see me again for 6 months. He used to see me every 3 months, then every 4 months.
    What's up Michele Zone? Sleeping 18-20 hours and a visit to the plumonologist.

Sounds serious. I glad to hear you feeling better though.

Registered
    May 1997
    I envy the steam room.

Walk 3 miles most every morning, walk for as many errands as possible. Weight workouts 3-5 times a week. Try to get in a long hike once or twice a month.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I run probably an average of 15 or more miles a week, dependent on how good I am--I'm also training for the St. Patrick's Day 10k in DC, so the mileage has been upped a bit. I rock the pilates and do strength training too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Skate ski 4 times a week (or mtn bike in the summer), climb at the climbing wall twice a week... I LOVE living 15 minutes away from a good trail system.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    What's up Michele Zone? Sleeping 18-20 hours and a visit to the plumonologist.

Sounds serious. I glad to hear you feeling better though.
    Dude, you are waaaay behind the times. I was bedridden for the first 3 or 4 months of 2001 -- 3 years ago -- and it has taken a long time to recover. It is a LONG story and most folks here are tired of hearing it.

I really have worked hard to "get back in shape". But I am just sort of interjecting some comic relief into this thread. :-P I was walking 6 miles, 2 to 3 times per week, in the Mojave Desert not that long before I became so very sick. And I did gymnastics in my youth. And I am still disgustingly limber for an old broad.

But the idea of going to the gym is still sort of laughable. lol. I bought a chaise lounge a few days ago so I can be productive on low energy days. The jokes of close friends used to be that I was launching my International Empire from my loveseat in my home office. I have graduated to launching my International Empire from my chaise lounge.

EDIT: I guess it would have been funnier if I had said something like "I get out of bed".
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 24 Feb 2004 at 6:21 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    As I posted recently in the Neverending Bicycle Thread, I just joined a spinning class (first time was Monday morning). I have been riding my recumbent attached to a trainer in my basement all winter, so my calf and hamstring muscles have stayed toned, but oh my aching quadriceps! Spinning is a great workout and a lot of fun if you are part of a group.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I like to visit the gym 2-4 times a week. At which, I lift weights, run, and play basketball. I also swim during the summer months.

I do other random events for fitness, like running through the woods like and idiot as my friends shoot paintballs at me and then I try to stalk them in return (the fitness in this is all the running, ducking and screaming).

I would like to get back into the martial arts like I was when I was a teenager, but the budget is a bit tight for that .

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I belong to a gym and try to get there 3x a week. Havent been really good at that since the new year started though. I did give up beer a while back so that has helped (vodka is okay on the atkins plan )

It is hiking and biking season in Southern California so that's what I'm up to.
    OT I want to learn how to kayak.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I just got an email from a friend (the third "goddess" other than Trail Nazi and me) who is trying to get me to go to a belly-dancing class with her. Have any of you other ladies of cyburbia tried this? If so, let me know what you think.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I just got an email from a friend (the third "goddess" other than Trail Nazi and me) who is trying to get me to go to a belly-dancing class with her. Have any of you other ladies of cyburbia tried this? If so, let me know what you think.
    A good friend of mine went to one and she had a BLAST. Her husband liked it too.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I row three mornings a week (6.00 am on the water - murder in winter) and occasionally enter regattas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Work? Out? those are two words not included in my dictionary :-P

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Ride my bikes in the summer. Goal this year is 5000K combined (3500 road 1500 mtb). I only did 2 trainer rides this winter, need new shoes since ankle injury.

Winter cross country ski. With moving, job hunting and 3 weeks of unbearable cold, I've only skiied about 15 days since January 1st. Just getting my style back. Best thing about skiing is that you get really cut muscles (abs and triceps)

November and march I get fat/recover from get mentally prepared for the next season.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 4:56 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 5:20 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 25 Mar 2004, 12:00 AM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last post: 16 Mar 2004, 10:39 PM
  5. Replies: 52