Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guess the City 145: Big World Cities

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Guess the City 145: Big World Cities

I would like this thread to be a GTC about any city worldwide, but it must meet only one criteria:

The Metropolitan area population must be GREATER than 1 million people. The city population must be greater than 800,000 people.

Also, you must add some description of your city, some clues, and maybe some photos.

When someone guesses what the city is, that person posts their city and so on

I will start off in the next post.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    The population of this city is between 2 million and 6.5 million people.

This isn't a very lit up city, though it has some nice streets in the city centre

Some zoning is not where you would expect it to be within the city (some very bad planning)

There are alot of parks in this city

There is no international airport in this city

One word clue: PARIS

Here are some pics:

Though the pics are extremely old, ALL of the buildings still exist to this very day, nothing has changed there except the people and cars ofcourse.

Another clue:
    The temperature range for this city is very dramatic. It can go up to almost 35*C in some summers, and down to about -20*C to -40*C in the winter. It never used to be this cold in winter though. The average winter temperature is much higher than those figures, but huge depressions happen over this city which drops its temperature down to some -40*C for a period of a few days or even a week. These happen pretty periodically throughout the winter. Dramatic drop in temperatures, January 14 1997, at 3.20am a temperature of -61*C was recorded in the city centre - one of the coldest ever recorded in the history of the country. That winter was also one of the coldest winters in history for this city with sudden huge drops in temperature. I was there that winter, came out of the house at about 7am, when the temperature had increased to -52*C. By the end of the day it was abhout -25*C, 3 days later -57*C was recorded early morning, and a maximum of -39*C for that day. That winter as many people died of cold as they did of hunger as there were no supplies and hardly any transportation at that temperatures, water pipes froze, gap pipes also froze, there was no gas, electrical heating needed, it was extremely hard to get hold of water. The city wasn't designed for those temperatures. If you had to go out of the house on those extreme days, you had to phone where you were going and tell them the route you were taking. If you didn;t arrive in an acceptable amount of time, authorities were contacted. 95% of the time the one means of transportation was walking. Not much snow, looked misty, visibility extremely poor. Breathing was very very difficult. Up to about -35*C the city is fully functional though.

Now here is something you might not have known. This city is where I was born. My grandparents live there, and I go to visit every winter for at least a month, very used to extreme low temperatures.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Guessing it might be St. Petersburg, Russia.

Bear

Registered
    Oct 2001

Bucharest!

Bucharest, Romania. They claim to be the Paris of the East.

One comment about this thread, though. San Francisco is definitely a major metropolitan area, with San Jose over 5 million people. But, the City of San Francisco only has under 800,000 people. There may be other cases like this, too. I would add a coda that the City can be smaller if it is an important regional or national center-or a capital city.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Bucharest.

Beat me to it, BKM, while I was scratching around trying to log in.

Oh well, make the next one hard.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    If the correct answer is Bucharest - not saying that it isn't though - would someone like to explain why this city experience such an extreme ranges in temperature.

I mean, when I first read this GTC, I was thinking that this city could be Vladivostok, Russia. But, I guess I'm really wrong... since Bucharest is on the other side of the continent.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If it is, which I think it is, bear in mind that it is in the center of the European continent, not all that far from Russia. That's what a "continental climate" gives you. Kansas, or my hometown in Indiana, is miserably cold, but also miserably hot and sticky.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum.. if the city population must be 800,000 or more.. Santiago would be disqualified, because the municipality of Santiago only has ~350,000 inhabitants, but the metropolitan area is around 5 million, only that it's subdivided in about 33 different municipalities, so sometimes you cross an avenue and you're in another municipality.
    And that's the hell hole I'm going to be living in just about 2 more days...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    If it is, which I think it is, bear in mind that it is in the center of the European continent, not all that far from Russia. That's what a "continental climate" gives you. Kansas, or my hometown in Indiana, is miserably cold, but also miserably hot and sticky.

But it is a DRY miserable!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah we can make it under 800,000 if it is important, or a capital.

Yeh, i was hoping this would be easy. It is Bucharest

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    BKM to post the next one here.

I would say that if it is under 800,000 people (city) and 1 million people (metro) it has to be a capital of a US state or world country seeing as we are talking about the whole world here. Some cities may seem obviously important to some people, but not to others, so I think it's only fair that we only limit it to population.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cool. I'll look around for a new one. I had some in my Member's Gallery, but they've already been played, so to speak.

Just to finish up your post, though, I thought this was a pretty neat photo from contemporary Bucaresti. A fascinating, if troubling country! I quite enjoyed Robert Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts"

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, it is a good photo. (btw. Bucuresti)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Here's mine

I really like the people walking down that street. The fashionably dressed woman in the foreground, I could see her as a Securitate mistress. The white coated guy: some long suffering leader of his village.
    Oops on the spelling.

As for mine: Here are the clues:

1. The New Arts flourished here.

2. A national capital.

3. Did Ronnie help set me free?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wow, that last picture really reminds me of a street in Edinburgh. But of course it's different architecture and backdrop...

I didn't know that Bucharest had two-level street plan. Or that's what I see in this photo that reminds me of Edinburgh...am I reading the photo incorrectly?!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I really like the people walking down that street. The fashionably dressed woman in the foreground, I could see her as a Securitate mistress. The white coated guy: some long suffering leader of his village.
    Oops on the spelling.

As for mine: Here are the clues:

1. The New Arts flourished here.

2. A national capital.

3. Did Ronnie help set me free?

Could it be Prague, Czech Republic?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nope. Not quite that "hip."

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Stockholm?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    WOuld those be pictures of Berlin perhaps?
    Otherwise, my guess is Budapest.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nope. You all are dancing around the vicinity of the answer.

It is a big city, but it is also pretty obscure.

One more semi-clue: their neighbors were good at the 'hoops.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Another stab in the dark.
    Ljubljana, Slovenia

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Could it be Warsaw??

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nope.

Another clue: There are a lot of Russians in this City, which is not a Russian city.

Registered
    May 2003
    I guess Zagreb.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nope. There aren't too many Eastern European capitals left.

Its located on a sea that's a Monopoly street.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 06 Mar 2008, 5:07 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 27 Jun 2005, 9:00 PM
  3. World Cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 11:31 AM
  4. Replies: 25