Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thursday 2/26/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Thursday 2/26/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

I think that today I have been able to get more done than any other day since I have moved here. So, I loose track of time…

Today’s question be dedicated to my mom… Monday is her birthday, and my Dad e-mails me to remind me about it, but he does not know what she wants…

So I ask to you….

What is the best gift that you have ever given some one?
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    May 2003
    Staff meeting
    the privlege of my presence
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Oct 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Love. :-P My wife thinks anything with diamonds is good. B-)

I got my mother one years worth of flowers, delivered every month. A bit pricy but you're rich, spend it on your mother.

Home Brewings Kits....because those who make the beer must share it with those who bought them the kit!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Jun 2003
    NSW, Australia
    For a mother - a day spa gift certificate.

Dec 2001
    West Valley, AZ
    i bestowed my gift of manifestation at will to a couple of my dearest friends. But the gift was used with wrongly and a giant purple yo-yo leveled half of town.

The greatest romantic gift I ever gave someone was...a promise ring with a lengthy poem confessing my loyalty to and love for her.

The greatest in terms of saving my soul and social benefit would have been donating my time to aid in not for profit entities, neighborhood betterment events (litter pick ups), and other charitable what-nots. o
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Jul 2002
    Wellington, NZ
    I had forgotten until now that one anniversary I gave my partner at the time this little book that I made using coloured paper and on each page I wrote a special memory we shared and drew a picture to illustrate each one.

Can't believe now that I went to that much trouble! Reminds me of the ancient Japanese proverb:
    We were together only a little while,
    and we thought our love would last a thousand years

Don't know if he would count that as the best gift but I think it is the thoughtful gifts that mean the most.
    Last edited by JNL; 26 Feb 2004 at 6:24 PM.

Jul 2003
    San Diego, CA
    My parents are extremely tough to buy presents for. One year, I bought myself a bunch of sheets with a high thread count for about 75% to 80% off while visiting my sister. I also bought her a set, as a gift, before I left. I told my sister we should buy some of those sheets for our parents as a joint Christmas present. They were not cheap, even after the steep discount: originally about $800 and on sale for about $200. They were 100% cotton and a thread count of about 300 or so (REALLY soft and very high quality). My sister kept her eye out to see if they ever got discounted further. Shortly before Christmas, they were: she got a set for about $60.

Mom was concerned that we had "spent too much" and also did not initially believe that it was truly MY idea, because I am such a slug about gifts and a lot of years my sister buys them something and adds my name, like it is from "both" of us, and I send her a check for half. lol. My sister was able to cite how I had bought sheets for both me and her earlier that year and also reassured Mom (without naming prices) that, while it was originally a very expensive set of sheets, we got it for a really good price. Since mom is a Bargain Shopper Extraordinaire, she was proud of us and our cheapskate ways and considered that to be "part of the gift" -- that she didn't have to feel guilty about what we spent, etc.

I think I was forgiven for all the years I didn't manage to send any present at all.

(EDIT: That's not really "the best" gift I ever gave anyone, but it is one of the best things I ever "bought" as a present in the traditional sense of what you are asking. Some of the truly Best: I took care of my sister's premature infant daughter for one month when she ran out of maternity leave and didn't want to leave this fragile baby in day care; a few years later, I took care of the girl while my sister was in the hospital having surgery and then took care of my sister following surgery so she could recover optimally; I have helped rape victims recover and move on; I have talked people into homeschooling their kids when they clearly wanted to but didn't feel they could; and a few zillion other magical things that make my life Fun. But you can't buy any of those things and send them to your mom -- yet, you have indicated in previous "4pm questions" that "help" isn't necessarily what you are looking for, so I thought I would do an "addendum", in case you REALLY wanted to know.)
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 26 Feb 2004 at 6:22 PM.

Aug 2001
    The Cheese State
    A US Army keychain and a ziploc bag full of ammunition. I'm a romantic.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Sep 1999
    400 miles from Orlando
    My mom says the best gift I ever gave her was the paperweight I made from marbles in kindergarten; she's still using it.

I think the best gift I ever gave was the ping pong table I got my son when he turned 5. It's always being used.

Dec 2003
    Give the gift that keeps on giving...........a hug (you know I wouldn't go there)

Depends on the person and taste, because some people are never happy with what you give them.

Repo Man said a brewing kit, which would rock. I usually give my brothers aged bourbon or scotch.

Best gift though I gave had to have been.....I don't know, its hard to put a "priceless" on something. Usually the thoughtfull ones win out over the big ticket crap IMHO.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Oct 2005, 4:53 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 25 Mar 2004, 11:37 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last post: 19 Mar 2004, 11:25 AM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last post: 13 Mar 2004, 1:55 AM
  5. Replies: 29