Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Barbershop

Registered
    Aug 2001

Barbershop

Anyone see the Barbershop movies?

Great stuff about community, land deals, corrupt politicians, urban life, ghetto life, the South Side of Chicago, gentrification, the threat of Big Box chains, and public hearings.

Grist for the mill for professional planners and yet they are funny flicks, too!

Registered
    May 2003
    Barbershop 2 has a scene filmed at my L station.

Hahah, you actually liked this? I thought Barbershop (1) was pretty terrible. The plot was predictable and the jokes weren't funny, resulting in a pretty boring movie. After the first twenty minutes I knew exactly how it was going to end... not a good sign.

I think this is second only to Hairdo U in the emerging black haircare-sploitation subgenre... but at least that was so bad it was unintentionally funny.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by passdoubt

Hahah, you actually liked this?
    Ha ha, I love movie snobs. And I am one of them. But the point of my post wasn't about whether you liked the movie or not, but rather how it had some themes regarding planning and community integrated into the main narrative. Though these themes weren't the main focus of the plot, it is interesting to note that both Barbershop movies are popular with the public. In a way, these movies are good vehicles for showing some of the issues the professional planning world must consider. It might serve as a good conversation piece at parties when that dreaded question comes up: "So, what do you do?" Now, I can reference Barbershop instead of the dreaded George Constanza from the infamous urban planner episode from Sienfeld.

+ Reply to thread