Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban renewal as "intelligent cities"?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Urban renewal as "intelligent cities"?

Interesting article in USA Today about Urban Renewal...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ies28_ST_N.htm

Now that the economy and housing have tanked, prompting more people to stay put, growth is taking a back seat. But smarts still matter. The new buzzwords: "intelligent cities.
    I haven't heard this phrase used, but I think it is a good marketing tool. People never liked "well regulated" cities....

Anyone else heard this?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Hmm first I have heard of it, but it makes sense with all the 'technology-related' city tools becoming available. I wish the article was a little more indepth about what intelligent cities are, its a bit lacking in substance.

I disagree with the bit the 15-20 cycle on planning terms, it really doesn't matter what we call it. What's with emphasis on symantics? I think more importantly we need to talk about the cycle on planning paradigms like design-based planned's 100 year cycle. Is that coming to an end? What is the next paradigm shift?
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 10:45 AM
  3. "Urban Renewal"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Sep 2003, 4:54 PM
  4. "Urban Renewal"