Urban planning community

Poll results: Howard Stern SUSPENDED? Well, I say...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

10 27.78%
  • Ever heard of the 1st Amendment? Go, Howard!

12 33.33%
  • I really don't give a darn either way.

13 36.11%
  • Other (see comments below)

1 2.78%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stern banishment

Registered
    Jul 2002

stern banishment

Just curious as to anyone's reaction to the Howard Stern show being suspended. I've had no choice...on our only classic rock station, the Stern show is syndicated in the morning. However, I didn't listen on Tuesday, or don't remember anything he said that was atypical.
    Has he finally crossed the line? Will he be back? Do we care?
    ho stern

Clear Channel was fined $755,000 for some "indecency complaints" and has advised all of their jockeys that they had best toe the line. Bob and Tom in Indianapolis have agreed but Stern has not yet. He may or may not be back.

Here's a link to the Indianapolis Star about Bob/Tom and Clear Channel
    www.indystar.com

IMO, I don't really care: I listen to cds or NPR.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 26 Feb 2004 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added Link
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't really like Stern... never have. I think I've listened to him maybe once or twice without having to switch the station. When I lived in Washington I used to put his show on my clock radio on the other side of the room, because I hated his show so much most mornings I would have to get out of bed to go turn it off. Everything else I could ignore and just keep sleeping/lazing in bed.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't really care one way or the other. None of that stations I get contract with him, and I wouldn't listen anyways. I just don't search out that kind of humor.
    You're more boring than you know.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    all I have to say is......meh?!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The FCC is once again over reacting. First O&A, now this. If you don't like a radio program than change the channel.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm in Utah. Who is the Howard Stern, you speak of?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My personal opinion is that I'd like to see him unemployed on a park bench asking the women passing by if they've ever "done it with a girl" before they pepper spray him. How this guy got to monopolize morning radio is beyond me. I get stations from 2 markets and in the morning every other one is him.

I don't know if he did anything specific to warrant the fine, though. But now he's going to be a "courageous defender of free speech" instead of a guy who has made millions by talking about boobies on the radio.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I typically don't listen to Stern but did catch about 45 minutes of his Wednesday morning show while I was getting ready for work. What I heard was a political discussion between Stern and several members of his staff. Stern was saying that he hopes he gets fired because maybe then the FCC would outline exactly what is and isn't considered obscene. He started ranting against, and making rude remarks about, FCC chairman Michael Powell, saying that he knew nothing about broadcasting and got his job only because of who his father is. He then said FCC were acting like bullies hiding behind vague guidelines and that broadcasters should stop cow toeing to them. After that he starting in on President Bush and how he was going to personally see to it that Bush and his religious conservative administration was thrown out of office. I missed the rest because I had to get out the door and leave for work…

I honestly found it compelling stuff and was for the first time I was actually interested in his program.
    Last edited by biscuit; 27 Feb 2004 at 9:10 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    not on any radio station here in SW Indiana.
    We do have Bob & Tom and Johnboy & Billy Big Show.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Clear Channel is a bunch of . You should read the shady stuff they do. In NYC, they own a few stations, Z100 being one of them. The station actually felt so bad about the deciet, they put a public announcement (I forgot if they did it in print or they bought time on other stations) telling people about how the contests that Clear Channel runs work:

They are nationwide contests with a predetermined time. If one radio stations clock in Colorado runs 5 mintues faster than the ones in NYC, the people in NYC, Atlanta, Chicago and LA NEVER had a chance to win. By the time they even start calling the number, the winner is off the phone and celebraiting. And instead of doing synced clocks or something logical like that, they shrug and say the hell with it. They also pulled the plug on a lot of stations programming and radically redid them. Turning Classic Rock stations into Hip-hop and crap like that.

I'm sad to see him leave, but atleast he's still on where I am. I think Janet Jackson's flashing had a lot to do with it, as did the election year and someone not wanting to lose.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I have let my rabid hatred of Clear Channel be known many times on this and other forums. They are among the most foulest hypocrates among corporate America. And they are terrorists in every sense of the word: Powerful, unstoppable and unspeakably currupt.

I want them to lose all their licences and be fined so heavily that they are bankrupted for all eternity. I want their network of stations dismantled and sold by the FCC to local owners who will bring back responsible programming to the airwaves.

Some of the higher-ups at Clear Channel should go to jail forever for what they have done to radio in America. But a couple of dead CEOs would be too gleeful a joy for even me to even comprehend.

Still, I have soured on Howard Stern lately. I used to listen to him all the time and loved his movie Private Parts. But after he and his wife separated, all he talks about is boobs and 90% of the time when you randomly flip on E!, there's some floozie on there. I'm sick and tired of it. At least in the old days he talked about something other than T & A.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Clear Channel is a bunch of .
    Absolutely, like they didn't know what Howard Stern's show was like for years? They've made millions off him and now they'll get (mostly) good attention for canning him for indecency. Are they going to crack down on 50-Cent and crap they've been pushing on their stations?

Clear Channel officials should be unemployed with Stern trying to give passersby the priviledge of listening to the same Staind song 15 times a day for a few bucks.

I agree with Rumpy. People who tune into Howards show know exactly what they are getting. This is not like the Super Bowl where people don't expect to see a breast. This is Howard Stern and people EXPECT this kind of talk. I am so sick of these whiny babies who cannot figure out how to use the "off" button. If you don't like scantly-clad women on mtv, cancel your cable, if you don't want to hear Howard talk about strippers and midgets, tune your radio to some dullard like Sean Hannity. Screw Clear Channel and thier knee-jerk censorship. I hope that company has some huge Enron-like scandal and their empire comes crumbling down.

I wonder (actually I HOPE) if the companies that bought ad time during Howards show will sue to get their $ back.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Howard Stern is a joke. He gets has low self asteem, and to make him self feel good about being him, he has to scock people. I think that maybe Ms. Jackson's stunt at the Super Bowl was just what this society need. It showed that people are getting tired of the shock factor. I don't think that every one should sit by the radio and listen to light cheery shongs, but I don't think that anything that Stern has ever done is worth anything, and some people are dumber for listening and thinking about anything he had said, or done.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    He's still on in Boston....and I still listen every morning.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I ocassionally listen to Howard when my regular local show is on vacation, but I have no idea why because I am constantly disappointed. Viacom owns Howard's show and I assume that they are still broadcasting even though CC is not.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Howard Stern is one of those people in the media who if he went away I would not miss.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    He's still on in Boston....and I still listen every morning.
    What was their rationale for only taking it off of a select few stations? (includes Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, FL, Rochester, N.Y., San Diego, Pittsburgh and Louisville, KY). That isn't really accomplishing much. To me, it should be all or nothing.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    What was their rationale for only taking it off of a select few stations? (includes Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, FL, Rochester, N.Y., San Diego, Pittsburgh and Louisville, KY). That isn't really accomplishing much. To me, it should be all or nothing.
    Easy. WBCN in Boston is not a Clear Channel station. Clear Channel is the one "suspending" him.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Howard Stern is a joke. He gets has low self asteem, and to make him self feel good about being him, he has to scock people. I think that maybe Ms. Jackson's stunt at the Super Bowl was just what this society need. It showed that people are getting tired of the shock factor. I don't think that every one should sit by the radio and listen to light cheery shongs, but I don't think that anything that Stern has ever done is worth anything, and some people are dumber for listening and thinking about anything he had said, or done.
    For once after being gone all day I read the entire thread before hitting 'reply'. I couldnt have said it better.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't care about Stern but I'm glad they fired "Bubba the Love Sponge". He was a problem (opened a club at one time) in the vicinity of my former place of employment and he is truly disgusting.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I dont like Stern, find him disgusting. But do you know what I find worse? Censorship. It is a scary thing that can go too far. If you dont like him, dont listen to him. I didnt.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    I dont like Stern, find him disgusting. But do you know what I find worse? Censorship. It is a scary thing that can go too far. If you dont like him, dont listen to him. I didnt.
    Howard wasn't censored. Censorship (aka "prior restraint") is something that the government does. In this case, Clear Channel made a business decision. Howard went too far, and Clear Channel decided that they would not risk losing listeners as a result. So, they cut him loose. As to the FCC fines, it sure has taken the FCC a long time to get around to it, wouldn't you say? The private businesses that provide radio entertainment refused to police themselves, continually pushing the envelope (George Carlin's famous "10 Dirty Words" of 30-odd years ago is incredibly tame by comparison) until the public outrage convinced the FCC to step in. Believe me, the world is a better place without the likes of Opie and Anthony on the radio.

The radio airwaves are not like cable TV. You have to pay extra for cable (or satellite, or whatever) and take steps to have it available in your home. But radio is free and available to anyone, anytime, including kids. You simply can't monitor radio in the same way as MTV. There is no place for shock jocks on radio that is easily accessed by children (it always amazes me how much effort is put into protecting idiots like Stern in the name of "free speech" for adults while at the same time we mess up our kids, but that's a whole 'nother thread). But those who just have to have puerile toilet humor on the radio, take heart! Now there's satellite radio.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I said let the door hit him in the butt.

Butt, I really said I don't care. I don't listen to him because I don't find him entertaining and I feel if you are offended don't listen to him.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast