Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's with the Denver Area and Walmart?

Registered
    Oct 2001

What's with the Denver Area and Walmart?

Why are Denver area municialities so interested in whoring themselves out for WalMart? This is the second recent case I've read. I know sales tax revenue is important, but one part of me is frankly happy the court slapped this abuse of eminent domain down.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    It is common for cities dependent on sales tax revenue to whore themselves out. It isn't just for Wally Worlds, but more like any large retailer. My city just recently whored itself out to get IKEA.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I know. These recent cases just seem pretty brutal, imo.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    It is common for cities dependent on sales tax revenue to whore themselves out. It isn't just for Wally Worlds, but more like any large retailer. My city just recently whored itself out to get IKEA.
    you bastards, we'd been trying for that for YEARS!! I'm sorry, I can't speak to you any longer, you're one of them!! :-P
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    you bastards, we'd been trying for that for YEARS!! I'm sorry, I can't speak to you any longer, you're one of them!! :-P
    I am merely a resident, not an employee!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cardinal has said it before, and its worth repeating but with the denver slant. Big Boxes follow roof tops. If wal mart isnt coming to your town they will come to the town next door. If sales tax revenue goes next door instead your town, its your loss.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Cardinal has said it before, and its worth repeating but with the denver slant. Big Boxes follow roof tops. If wal mart isnt coming to your town they will come to the town next door. If sales tax revenue goes next door instead your town, its your loss.
    Except in those places, like NH, where we have no sales tax....property taxes are it around here, and many communities simply don't want the costs of having big box retail, despite the property tax benefits.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    True, but especially in the case of the Denver City example earlier this year (tear down a multi-business, long time shopping plaza serving a minority group), is sales tax generation the only purpose of government? I have a problem with centralization of private power in this society, and the idea that tax-seeking governments would try to destroy an existing, thriving by some measures community only for short term, debatable gain in sales tax revenues. Sure Wal Mart will come. Don't use government power to force them on the community, though.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Local governments in Colorado charge sales tax, in addition to county sales taxes.

Some Denver suburbs will offer economic development incentives for retailers, in the form of sales tax kickbacks. Let's say ... oh, Arapahoe County gets 4% and Centennial* gets 4% of sales tax revenues. Centennial might offer a large, prestigous retailer a 1% sales tax kickback, or 25% of the tax revenue it gets from them. A municipality may also use TIFs to finance improvements in the area, paying for those improvements with some earmarked sales tax revenue from the development.

What case were you reading about? If it's the Wal-Mart on Parker Road in Pioneer Hills, I may be able to offer some additional insight outside the Forums.

* or Aurora, or Greenwood Village, or wherever.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 1997
    Tax "piracy" warps land use decisions in many states. Utah is just as bad as CO. My solution has always been that, since the customers are coming from many places, the tax should be collected by the state, then distributed to the cities and counties on the basis of population, not sales.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Tax "piracy" warps land use decisions in many states. Utah is just as bad as CO. My solution has always been that, since the customers are coming from many places, the tax should be collected by the state, then distributed to the cities and counties on the basis of population, not sales.
    Absolutely! Lee, you are so right, but I'd add that there should be a formula to aid poorer communities, rather than simply distribute money per capita. Rural and inner-city communities would be less likely to raise funds under a scenario where taxes would be levied by individual communities, so they would still benefit either way. A state collection with no local sales tax (as we have in Wisconsin) will limit the competition among cities to attract retail. Our efforts at retail development are now almost always intended to meet community shopping needs, promote redevelopment, or create jobs.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    True, but especially in the case of the Denver City example earlier this year (tear down a multi-business, long time shopping plaza serving a minority group)
    BKM, which one was this?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Belle- if you want to read a quick story about it, check out high country news at:

http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.WOTR...ticle_id=14447

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thanks, Vaughan.

Even beyond the tax dollars is the social impact: government police powers used to degrade entrepeneurship. We talk enldessly about "small business" and the American dream, but use police powers to destroy said small business.

I would complain about it if the OWNER of the shopping center was evicting the tenants, but would still feel its a "legitimate" business decision. When mandatory government power is used, that's where I have a problem.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Try suburban Atlanta - primarily Gwinnett County. The zoning board a few months ago had not one but two requests from Wal Mart to develop Super Wal Marts. In both cases it meant they would abandon a location less than 1 mile away & would build up to existing subdivions. The planners said no, the residents shouted no, & even media reported no - but money won out & they voted yes with few reservations.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 8:56 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jun 2009, 12:33 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 3:21 PM
  4. This is NOT a Walmart attack....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 05 Dec 2003, 2:31 PM