Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The return of high-rise Britain?

Registered
    Oct 2001

The return of high-rise Britain?

Work starts this week on the UK's tallest residential building - a 47 storey, 171m high glass tower in Manchester. Similar projects are planned in cities across the nation; will we all be living high-rise in years to come?

rest of article at:
    The return of high-rise Britain?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that it could be a great idea... IF... it is done with in reason. I think that this would be a great opportunity to get some mixed use and smart growth involved right from the start, but if this 47-story tower is built with 2 story homes surrounding it. I would not support the idea. (by the way, what would those figures transfer into dollars?)
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Michaelskis--the pound is worth about 1.85$ right now--so almost double. Very, very expensive project. The Manchester city center is very urbanized, although not (in most places) as tall as a comparable American city. That's changing, though. There's a huge number of new projects, including a lot of skyscrapers, going up all over Britain, and Manchester in particular is having a center-city building boom. 47 stories will definately stand out, though.
    Having said that, it does seem as though skyscrapers as residences could become more common in smaller cities. There is a growing interest in living downtown, both among the "empty nesters" and people who prefer urban living to the soulless tract houses in the suburbs, and skyscrapers would be a logical way to accomodate that.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I think that would be great. I seem to always be in favor of densifying the rich...now if only they could spell the word "story"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. High-rise new urbanism
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Oct 2010, 11:07 AM
  2. Parking generation for high rise condos
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 8:55 PM
  3. What happens in a high rise world
    Design, Space, and Place