Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The return of high-rise Britain?

Registered
    Oct 2001

The return of high-rise Britain?

Work starts this week on the UK's tallest residential building - a 47 storey, 171m high glass tower in Manchester. Similar projects are planned in cities across the nation; will we all be living high-rise in years to come?

rest of article at:
    The return of high-rise Britain?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I think that it could be a great idea... IF... it is done with in reason. I think that this would be a great opportunity to get some mixed use and smart growth involved right from the start, but if this 47-story tower is built with 2 story homes surrounding it. I would not support the idea. (by the way, what would those figures transfer into dollars?)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Michaelskis--the pound is worth about 1.85$ right now--so almost double. Very, very expensive project. The Manchester city center is very urbanized, although not (in most places) as tall as a comparable American city. That's changing, though. There's a huge number of new projects, including a lot of skyscrapers, going up all over Britain, and Manchester in particular is having a center-city building boom. 47 stories will definately stand out, though.
    Having said that, it does seem as though skyscrapers as residences could become more common in smaller cities. There is a growing interest in living downtown, both among the "empty nesters" and people who prefer urban living to the soulless tract houses in the suburbs, and skyscrapers would be a logical way to accomodate that.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I think that would be great. I seem to always be in favor of densifying the rich...now if only they could spell the word "story"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. High-rise new urbanism
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Oct 2010, 11:07 AM
  2. Parking generation for high rise condos
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 8:55 PM
  3. What happens in a high rise world
    Design, Space, and Place