Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Challenging development of GCs

Registered
    Jul 2002

Challenging development of GCs

Gated communities are a relatively new phenomenon in NZ and they are springing up all over the place. I just read a very interesting article called 'Elite Estates: NZ's Booming Gated Community Trend'. Subtitle is 'My Home, My Fortress: Does the booming trend towards gated communities really lower the risk of burglaries and vandalism? And what are these exclusive enclaves doing to the New Zealand way of life?'

I thought this was interesting:

The city has changed its rules for communities of any size over 10 units, effectively requiring permeability of developers, who must build their roads to city standard.

It has not outlawed gated communities, but it will refuse consent for them if they block links between one part of the city and another.

Thoughts?

Registered
    May 1997
    Anything that can be done to inhibit the spread of gated communities is ok by me.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Very interesting. They haven't really taken off in this part of Oz, but we have a proposal for one, subject to a rezoning request. The theme is no pets, no kids - essentially going for the elderly retiree heading for the coast. So the developer must see a market for it.

It is unfortunate it is taking off in NZ, seems to me like a symptom of a troubled, fearful and divided (or dividing) society. But then I suppose elitism is nothing new in NZ either, or should I say "freedom of choice (for the wealthy consumer)", being something of a hotbed of neo-liberterianism.

What parts of the country is it happening most?

Any chance you can send me the article (or full reference) for the article to which you refer?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hipockethipy
    Very interesting. They haven't really taken off in this part of Oz, but we have a proposal for one, subject to a rezoning request. The theme is no pets, no kids - essentially going for the elderly retiree heading for the coast. So the developer must see a market for it.
    The article mentions a proposed child-free Australian development that was blocked by Queensland's anti-discrimination commissioner, back in 1987.

It is unfortunate it is taking off in NZ, seems to me like a symptom of a troubled, fearful and divided (or dividing) society.
    Yup, and crime isn't even that bad here... another interesting quote from the article: "Their marketing appeal is playing on people's concerns, the belief that no one bothers any more, that it you get robbed it's probably your fault, you're careless for not having proper security" - David Thorns

What parts of the country is it happening most?
    Everywhere.

Any chance you can send me the article (or full reference) for the article to which you refer?
    It's not online, probably easiest to post you a photocopy if you want to PM me your mailing address.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Challenging Planning Commission?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Oct 2012, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 10:30 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM