Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Laefest Site Site

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Laefest Site Site

There have been many requests for Laefests lately, with some proposed sites, or at least areas. I'm up for a road trip. What cities would people gather in? Here are a few ideas, let's go ahead and try to schedule a couple.

Washington DC. The APA will be meeting here. Most of us won't attend. Some will. Others might at least be willing to come in for a day or two to hang with their Cyburbia buds.

Chicago. There are a lot of Cyburbians within a 3-4 hour drive.

Someplace gritty. Detroit. Cincinnati. Toledo. Hmmm...?

Someplace unreal. Madison. Ann Arbor. Charlottesville.

Someplace beach-y. Nag's Head. Monterey. Traverse City. Clearwater.

Someplace ethnic. Quebec City. Cheektowaga. Vancouver BC.

A famed planning city. Portland. Houston. Savannah.

Party town! New Orleans. Las Vegas. Salt Lake City.

The other kind of wild. Yosemite. Canyonlands. Acadia.

Someplace nobody ever heard of. Studley, KS. Needmore, WV. St. Paul, MN.

We know we'll all end up there anyway. Leavenworth. Alcatraz Island. Folsom.

Add to the list or start making your choices!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I vote for the Chicago choice (obviously). There are about 15-20 of use in easy distance, and there are a ton of great things to do and bars to hop.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Alcatraz Island.
    Sure, let's all meet there. I volunteer to head The Welcome Committee. (Of course, there is also a lovely little town nearby called "Fairfield" that I would be more than willing to make the trip to. But "Bay Area" is generally "good" for me. )

I don't really Do road trips without a really good reason. Traveling makes me ill and really kicks my a$$, big time. But I make a great Hostess, what with 15 years with Army Family support groups, etc. After I ditch my extreme introvert husband, who thinks "company" is an invasion of his privacy, we can have a Party at Michele's, everyone invited. <cackle>

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about Indy for Region IV Conference October 13-15, 2004?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I vote for the Chicago choice (obviously). There are about 15-20 of use in easy distance, and there are a ton of great things to do and bars to hop.
    When???? If it's mid-year sometime, I might be able to make it. How cool would that be? But maybe no-one will understand my Kiwi accent

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I don't think I'd be able to make the national conference (sigh), but ... there's local Alefests. If something takes place on a Saturday, I can do anyplace within four or five hours from Cleveland; Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Columbus, or possibly Chicago if I floor it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about the something in the northwest? Seattle, Portland or Spokane work for me (until I relocate--looking actively). Boy, have I seen better days.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Buffalo! We'll meet at Rumpy's Rampage.

JNL, if you come to Chicago I have a free night coming at the Hyatt Regency, where Michigan Avenue crosses the Chicago River. You'll love it. Since I stay there about 20 nights a year, they treat me pretty well when it comes to giving rooms looking out over Lake Michigan, or down Michigan Avenue, like this.

State Street, the Miracle Mile, the Sears and Hancock Towers, Navy Pier, Grant Park, the Art Institute, the Auditorium, Chicago Theater, and much more are all within walking distance. I'll drag along Chet, Repo and Greenescapist to meet up with Mendelman, Decatur, Jordan and whoever else we can find.

For those Cyburbians along the Missouri River, I'm heading out that way in April. I'll be picking up the Santa Fe Trail in Kansas City and following it into New Mexico. I'm on a mission to meet the most Cyburbians.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'd be up for toledo/detroit/cleveland/buffalo/ann arbour on a saturday. Basically anything within 5-6 hour drive of Toronto.

An advantage of detroit for those of you north of the border, is that your dollar goes farther in windsor.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Don't ya'll ever do like normal Yankees and come to Orlando to escape the cold weather? Dang, that would be a good place for a lae-fest!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    An advantage of detroit for those of you north of the border, is that your dollar goes farther in windsor.
    Were you implying that we could go see the Canadian Ballet?
    :-P
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    When???? If it's mid-year sometime, I might be able to make it. How cool would that be? But maybe no-one will understand my Kiwi accent
    Does that me your going to come visit me... ah us? Just e-mail me to let me know what time you want me to pick you up. I will be holding a sign with your name on it!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Buffalo! We'll meet at Rumpy's Rampage.
    I mentioned something about a Rust-belt area Ale-fest in
    this thread. Hmmm, the canadian ballet, your dollar does go further. But if there was a lae-fest in Buffalo, I know of a real dive that will scare most of you cyburbanites :-P
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have a couple votes. My first choice would be "A squared" aka Ann Arbor

Then Chicago, Detroit, Toledo are ties for second. My ability to go to either of these locations would depend on the date.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Guess it's looking like PlannerGirl and I are the only ones meeting up at APA in DC....

Northeast locations would work for me.....now that I'm divorced, I'll have to try to put together a New England/Eastern Laefest for the folks round these parts (as few of us as there are) Perhaps later in the spring or summer.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does that me your going to come visit me... ah us? Just e-mail me to let me know what time you want me to pick you up. I will be holding a sign with your name on it!
    *sniff* *sniff* Do I smell the pungent odour of male desperation?

Like Donk, I can do anything within a reasonable drive of Toronto. Heck, Toronto would be a great place for a laefest. CIP conference is here this year for all the Canuck planners out there...

Registered
    May 2003
    I'll drag along Chet, Repo and Greenescapist to meet up with Mendelman, Decatur, Jordan and whoever else we can find
    I'm in, just let me know where and when. Don't forget Boiker, Pete-rock, Solipsa Steveanne and the Duke.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Since I mussed the last Laefest in Milwaukee, I'd be up for a Chicago one.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think I'll be able to swing one within 4 hours. In the middle of relocating however...so the dates gotta work.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Another vote for the Chicago area, or a second to JNA's suggestion for meeting at the Indy conference in October. Any excuse for a roadtrip, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

Should we turn this into a poll, so we can get a clear picture of who can go where?
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    *sniff* *sniff* Do I smell the pungent odour of male desperation?
    Nope... it is called being a gentleman... the odor you smell is something that you stepped in on the way into the office.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

The Alternative APA Conference, a/k/a Laefest International! o
    DATELINEThe breakaway republic of Cyburbia announced today that the organization has formally split with the APA and will conduct its first conference in Chicago. Cyburbia President-for-Life Dan Tasman was quoted as saying that mature beverages will flow while Cyburbians tackle practical urban and regional planning issues and propose a workable solution to sprawl, all while APA simply collects ever-larger dues....30....

I'd fly up to Chicago if JNL can make it, (figuring that would be the biggest draw), as long as it doesn't conflict with the planned family vacation in late June. Probably also will make the Region IV in Indy/October, but have not gotten any literature on it yet.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    How about the something in the northwest? Seattle, Portland or Spokane work for me (until I relocate--looking actively). Boy, have I seen better days.
    Elmo and I could probably make it to Montana if it is over a weekend. Idaho's a bit far though.

We MAY be taking a roadtrip in May, which will lead us down to California for some time at my parents' cabin outside Yosemite. So a Yosemite laefest may be good too (or the Bay Area, since I may be visiting my sister in the East Bay).

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    We MAY be taking a roadtrip in May
    If your route takes you thru north Idaho, give a shout and stop for a beer. I'd be happy to show you around.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    If your route takes you thru north Idaho, give a shout and stop for a beer. I'd be happy to show you around.
    That's a good possibility... I want to take routes I haven't been on before (which is becoming increasingly hard to find!), and I haven't been up in the panhandle yet. If we don't do it in May, we will probably go sometime in the early fall. But since most of the scheduling is between Elmo and his ex-wife due to kid watching, I just need to sit here and be patient

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. My site
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 11:18 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 22 Mar 2011, 6:00 PM
  3. On-site/off-site parking requirements
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1