Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hockey Punch

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Somewhere between hard left and hard libertarian

Hockey Punch

What do you guys think about that hockey player sucker punching the Colorado Avalache player. I was watching the news this morning and there is a soon-to-be stewing debate on outside monitoring of the sport. The guy from ESPN said that that would ruin hockey because people would not be able to draw the line on what exactly is violent and what isn't. What do you guys think...especially the Canadians out there? Should the hockey league be allowed to monitor its own?
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

"Inside every small problem is a big one trying to get government funding"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't see why they don't file criminal charges. Its assault regardless of how much its accepted in hockey culture - especially that case where the two players weren't even caught up in the moment. That case seems like its way past the fine line between rough play and assault.
    Boy, you Canadians sure are violent, no wonder you can't be trusted with guns and need so much health care.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yeah, it was a premediated vicious act that should be punished accordingly. Those acts have no place in hockey. Criminal charges should be considered, but I agree it is a bit of fine line in determining when charges are warranted. In this case, I would say they do.

Bertuzzi -- the attacker -- should be suspended for the remainder of this season and all of next season, IMO. I'm not sure about criminal charges, although I would not be surprised to see them.

There was a story some years ago in Sports Illustrated about a player who died during a fight in an Italian League game. Apparently, the victim was poke checked in the chest a just the exact moment his heart was most vulnerable to a shock. He went into cardiac arrest and died. The Italian authorities brought the other player up on either manslaughter or murder charges (I don't remember the specifics). Everyone protested the charges, including the victim's family noting that there was no intent to cause harm and fighting is part and parcel of the sport. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing how tha matter turned out. Does anyone know the story? (I'll google it to see what I can find and post again later if I do find anything...)
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It was a horrible act. I was disturbed when I saw footage of the incident on the news. Sportsmanship has gone awry in many different professional sports.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It is always wrong when someone gets hurt from an intentional act. If you are going to fight on the ice… go face to face, drop the gloves, and get an announcer to call it like a boxing match, but when a pansy from Vancouver comes up from behind, and the guy has no idea what is about to happen till his face hits the ice, that is just wrong.
    I think that the NHL players will kind of change. Even rival times have a respect for the safety of each other, and when a senseless act like this happens, it acts as a wakeup call for the rest of the players.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Warning Rant Warning Rant

Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    It was a horrible act. I was disturbed when I saw footage of the incident on the news. Sportsmanship has gone awry in many different professional sports.

I can not agree more. There was a time when players where part of a team, and a community. Now they do it to try to look good… but in the end, they are only in it for the money. I still watch a lot of sports, but I think that there is no loyalty to teams anymore by players, or fans for that matter. With the exception of the Green Bay Packers, every team is owned by a single person. That is why I think that tickets at Lambeau Field are harder to get then nuclear weapons. Sports players and Actors in movies make WAY TO MUCH FREAKIN MONEY. They are looked at like Royalty or Gods. Thousands of people will wait in line just to see someone time Timerlake of a moment… and the whole women fainting thing is pathetic. I met my idol a few months back. Tommy Moe is one of the most down to earth people that I have ever met. (for those of you who do not know who he is, He own a few medals in the Olympics for skiing) Now he works with kids, is a coach, and is a real person.

I think that as a society we are warped by what is cool do, and Sports and Movie or TV Stars take advantage it. I think that many of them are nothing more than a bunch of pathetic excuses. There are a few out their who give a damn about the world, but tell me, when was the last time that a baseball player bought tickets for a school, or required lower ticket prices for seats in his contract?

OK… now that I got that off my chest, I feel better…
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bertuzzi from what I've seen is one of those players that is always roughing it up a bit. One of the enforcer's of the league. Hockey and fighting in my mind go hand in hand, its just part of the game. But Bertuzzi's act the other night was way out of line. Suspend him for the rest of the season, and maybe next too, along with a nice fat fine, but I don't think criminal charges are neccessary. If you're gonna fight, throw the gloves, face to face, like a man, man!
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by martini
    If you're gonna fight, throw the gloves, face to face, like a man, man!
    Exactly!

-I think the NHL should also get rid of the instigator penalty. There used to be a time when the players enforced the rules, and if one of their guys messed up your guy, you knew that guy was going to get it.

Sports players are way over-paid, and there is no loyalty from them or the owners.

There was a time when teams were loyal to there fans.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I like hard hitting action, but I'm not talking about sports.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I like hard hitting action, but I'm not talking about sports.
    Good Lord
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Just punch lines
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 5:43 PM
  2. Punch Buggy vs. Slug Bug
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 11 Sep 2003, 7:52 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last post: 09 Jan 2003, 9:47 AM