Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What did you do for dinner last night?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What did you do for dinner last night?

Last night I was trying to decide what to cook for dinner. But I did not want to cook something that would sit in my fridge for a week. For you single people, what do you do for dinner, and does anyone know of any web sites that give recipes for single servings that are quick and easy?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

You can scale recipes on www.allrecipes.com just click on the "Customize this recipe" link. I would assume that there are books out there for those "cooking for one."
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Food?????
    Michaelskis, if you are searching for the answer to your dietary question as to 'what should I have for dinner tonight' look no further than Repoman's avatar - Homer holds the answer in his hand....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I cheated on my diet last night and had a mini-pizza and a chardonnay at the Magic game.

Normally, I cook real food (like actual red meat), veggies, salad. You can only serve frozen entrees to your kid so many times before you start feeling guilty.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Two hotdogs with spicy mustard and a glass of water followed by a Budweiser and popcorn at a local tavern.

I love to cook and am good at it, but it doesn't make much sense cooking for one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I made a pork roast with roasted potatos and fresh broccoli. Normally, Sunday is my cooking day, then I eat leftovers for the rest of the week. Since I did not have time Sunday, and I still had some pot roast sitting around, I put it off. This pork roast turned out exceptionally well. I just seasoned it with a little garlic, like my grandmother used to do, and it came out incredibly lean and tender. Mmmm.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I made my tofu curry. Eating for one sucks - I hated it when I was a bachelor.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I was in the Army and stationed at Fort Useless, several of the single officers all got together once a week and rotated the job of cooking a nice meal. Different people would be responsible for the job of cooking the main course, bringing desert, or bringing wine. It was a wonderful change from eating something frozen, warmed up in a microwave, alone in my Q.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    As weird as it sounds, I really like (canned) split pea soup-even the lower salt brands. I made up for the healthiness of the soup by adding some jarlsberg cheese (bad) and then some Trader Joes lime tomatillo salsa (good).

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    the last of 10-day-old baked zitti.

I'm with Card on this. My wife and I usually cook something big on Sunday and have the leftovers for the rest of the week.

Last weekend we made 2 dozen crab rangoons and a sirloin beef roast with easy roasted potato wedges. Yuuuuuummmm!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

What is this "dinner" of which you speak?

I sat through an awful redevelopment commission meeting yesterday and a tolerable, but not fun, neighborhood meeting Tuesday. Tonight it is the preservation commission meeting. Means I missed dinner three straight nights. No wonder I'm wolfing down Altoids.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I struggled with that when I initially seperated and divorced.....but meeting someone else that likes to cook has made dinnertime easier again.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Last night was kind of a free for all. I had the burger that my oldest son refused to eat at lunch. Some of his macaroni and chesse to try and get him to eat. A yogurt, at which point he had to have his gogurt (yogurt in a squeezable tube). Then I felt like somethig sweet so I had a bowl of cinnamon Life cereal. Most nights are not like this but we had to hurry and get the boys fed and bathed because my wife went to a pampered chef party - and actually did not buy anything! But now she is feeling guilty so she probably will today.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I actually dined on sumptious fare last evening; mango'ed potatoe glazed halibut, yellowfin sashimi. cup o seafood chowder, with raspberry sorbet tween courses and of course bottles of wine and bread. Good Company no kids, attentive waitstaff, and they picked up the tab==Heaven!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    As weird as it sounds, I really like (canned) split pea soup-even the lower salt brands. I made up for the healthiness of the soup by adding some jarlsberg cheese (bad) and then some Trader Joes lime tomatillo salsa (good).
    We were on the same track...split pea (canned) soup and grilled cheese. It was actually "chilly" enough here in s. FL to wear sweats and turn on the heat. :-}

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My sons roasted cornish game hens, made mashed potatoes, and steamed green peas.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We went out for sushi... a yummy treat.

Tonight is pot roast night... it's cooking in the crockpot right now (yum!)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    As weird as it sounds, I really like (canned) split pea soup-even the lower salt brands.
    I love Anderson's with a few dashes of sherry. Too bad we don't get Anderson's up here... guess I'll just have to do the sherry sans soup!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Because stay at home moms usually don't get to stay at home, we had pancakes last night. Now, what do I serve on Friday?

Anyway, to answer your question, you could make stir-fry meals using enough ingredients for one (or two) servings. You'll have to read some recipes for the sauces and adjust them for smaller portions, which shouldn't be hard. Do you know that you can cook the whole box of rice, eat what you want, and freeze the rest in portioned bags? It cooks in the same time it takes to cook a little bit.

Try buying the bags of frozen chicken breast halves. One or two will defrost in the microwave in a few minutes, and are easier to cut or slice if still a little frozen. You can prepare/chop fresh vegetables and package them in meal-sized portions, or cheat and buy them from the grocery salad bar.

We watch 30 Minute Meals on Food TV. Those recipes seem to be good for one or two people. Check her place at foodtv.com for recipes.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I made Sweet Thai Chilli Chicken with noodles AND crispy noodles on top. Yum. I'm single , but I share cooking with my two flatmates, which means we eat properly Mon, Tues, Wed at least. It definitely gives you more motivation to cook something nice when you're cooking for others - michaelskis have you considered getting together with friends to share cooking? If I'm going to be home alone I sometimes invite a friend over and cook for them too. And then they return the favour... works well and is a good chance to catch up.

Although I'm not always that good, and if it's just me and I don't feel like cooking, I might get some takeaways like Thai or something else reasonably healthy.

Peas Paneer from the trader Joe's -what's new rack.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    have you considered getting together with friends to share cooking? If I'm going to be home alone I sometimes invite a friend over and cook for them too. And then they return the favour... works well and is a good chance to catch up.
    I have done, a few times... it was fun. But most nights, I just cook dinner when I get back fromt he gym.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Here's where I buy most of my meat.

http://www.safarisnacks.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Eating Dinner Together
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 1:08 PM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club