Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mobile Billboards

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2003

Mobile Billboards

Has anyone here had any experiences with not allowing this type of sign but allowing signs on buses and taxis?

=Bob

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah, we have language in our sign regulations that addresses this... but so far we haven't had to try go enforce it, so I don't know how effective it is (here's an excerpt):

(18) With the exception of motor vehicle signs as defined herein, all signs displayed on trailers, motor vehicles, or other moving vehicles are prohibited in all districts;

Definition:
    “motor vehicle sign” means a sign placed on the side of an operating, licensed motor vehicle for the purpose of advertising the business for which the motor vehicle is being used;

Other Signs
    Provided they otherwise comply with this Bylaw, a development permit is not required for:
    (c) motor vehicle signs posted or exhibited in or on an operating motor vehicle provided the vehicle is not temporarily or permanently parked for the purpose of displaying the sign;
    (e) signs displayed on bus shelters, pylons and benches and located within a public roadway, municipal reserve, school reserve, and P districts and erected under a contractual agreement with the City;
    (f) signs displayed on busses operated by St. Albert Transit;

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Appreciate the response. After discussion, what we came up with is that they don't meet our billboard regulations, which are fairly tight. Only allowed in 4 zones, not allowed within 500 feet of another billboard or 300 feet of a residential zone on the same street, not allowed in any community with design review. We haven't had a billboard application in over 10 years and that's most likely because with those restrictions, virtually every parcel where you could put one already has one. So chances are most anywhere one of them would park would be violating one or more of the restrictions.

=Bob

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We had situation not involving signs but freezer trucks parked overnight in shopping centers. The important issue that our solicitor brought up was that vehicles are regulated by the DOT , be it freezer trucks or billboard vehicles.

It would be wise to determine if zoning can regulate trucks. Theyre not a land use and they are found primarily in the pubic right of way and not public property. Billboards on trailers and trucks that are parked for a length of time is another matter that zoning can deal with.

Our code has language that regulates the placement of these types of signs on vehicles. If you park it in a manner which I believe is a way to advertise, I'm comin' to get ya! We had one situation get so out of hand that we made them designate parking spaces where these vehicles must park.

Here is the ordinance:

"No sign shall be erected or attached to any vehicle except for signs painted directly on the surface of the vehicle, magnetic signs, and bumper stickers. The primary use of such vehicles shall be in operation of the business and not in advertising or identifying the business premises. The vehicle shall be parked in a designated parking space, but shall not be parked in the right-of-way. Vehicles parked in a manner considered by the Community Development Planner as a means of advertising shall be in violation of this Chapter. Cartop carrier signs of a political nature are not meant to be excluded by this Section."
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Lately, I have encountered several Mobile Billboards driving through Orlando during rush hour at 35 miles per hour, clogging up traffic.

Anybody seen these darn things popping up? How to regulate 'em?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dczipf
    It would be wise to determine if zoning can regulate trucks. Theyre not a land use and they are found primarily in the pubic right of way and not public property. Billboards on trailers and trucks that are parked for a length of time is another matter that zoning can deal with.
    I would argue that when parked for extended period of time they are land uses. Since when is public ROW not public property?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Human billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 11:45 AM
  2. Signs / billboards Billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 2:31 PM
  3. Billboards
    Friday Afternoon Club