Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Montreal Neighbourhood: Mile End (Photos)

Montreal Neighbourhood: Mile End (Photos)

these photos were taken over the past three weeks in my neighbourhood in montreal, mile end. questions and comments are welcome.

Chris, I'm a fan of your photography. It's nice to see you post here! What kind of camera are you using?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Looks like a great neighborhood! Lots of different sorts about, and a little tatty around the edges (thats a really good thing).

Whereabouts in town is this neighborhood?

What is the story of the neighborhood? Has it always been somewhat bohemian? Is it near a university? Is it being / has it been revitalized by young folks looking for cheap housing??

You're lucky to live in a neighborhood with such character and in such a nice city!

Registered
    May 2003
    Your shots are excellent. Do you freelance? You've got the talent.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Great pictures.

They help shatter the myth among Americans that Canadian cities are sterile and spotless and uninteresting.

If I had to guess the history of the neighborhood from the photos, I'd guess it's an old Jewish neighborhood that's slowly becoming younger and more bohemian, like Brooklyn, NY's Williamsburg area?

mile end has a fascinating history. chevy chase is close... it was an old jewish neighbourhood, but you wouldn't be able to tell that from these photos. from about 1900 to 1950 it was part of montreal's big eastern european jewish ghetto. (montreal was probably the second-most important centre of yiddish culture in north america at the time.) after those jews left, they were replaced by greeks (my street has a lot of greek restaurants and social clubs), italians and portuguese. the jews you see in these photos are hasidic jews who arrived a couple of generations ago; the neighbourhood just west of mile end is heavily hasidic. there's even a direct hasidic-operated bus line to williamsburg, brooklyn.

there are lots of middle-class families living around here, lots of artists and bohos and a lot of students as well. it's really diverse on every level. linguistically, i think about 40 percent of the residents are francophone, maybe a quarter anglophone and the rest allophone (non-english, non-french speakers). it's probably one of the most bilingual neighbourhoods in montreal.

maineman, as i said, there are a lot of students. mcgill university is about 1.5 miles away, downtown, and concordia university is also downtown. the université de montréal is in another neighbourhood a couple of miles west; there's a bus line that connects it to mile end, though, so some of its students might live here.

rents have shot up a lot since mid-late 90s, when montreal went through a deep economic recession, but they're still affordable. a majority of montrealers are tenants (although the recent condo boom is eating into that) so there are some very tenant-friendly rental regulations that ensure there isn't too much instability. the biggest problem is vacancy, which is one percent in montreal and probably close to zero in mile end.

by the way, chevychase, i've heard of that stereotype before. it holds true for, say, ottawa, but then again it would hold true for a large number of american cities. toronto has a reputation for being bland yet it is one of the rattiest, most cluttered and diverse cities around.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by christopher dewolf
    Question, in this picture, number 6 in sequence, what is the object in the right side of the pic, that seems to be a hill of some sort, or maybe a cloud.

Nice pics, Montreal is a place I'l have to visit soon. I've got the see their grain elevators as well (death to St. Lawerence Seaway)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

it's a big hill called mount royal. part of it is a park designed by frederick law olmstead; there's also a large cemetary, the université de montréal, a giant oratory and some wealthy residential areas on its slopes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Thanks a lot for your post--I loved these pictures! I lived in Montreal for most of 2000, and I still miss it a lot. (I lived near Berri & Ontario, near the St-Denis neighbourhood.)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for the photos.

Going to Montreal has been a resoultion of mine for about 5 years now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 May 2005, 6:34 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 3:56 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Sep 2004, 4:07 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2004, 4:39 PM
  5. Montreal streetscapes: photos
    Cities and Places