Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are you AARP?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Are you AARP?

SCARY… Maister is 39, right now, and he has been a card-carrying member of AARP since he was 24. Is this common?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    You must mean the American Association of Revisionary Planners?

All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    You must mean the American Association of Revisionary Planners?

No he means the Associated A-holes Reversing Progress.

But if you're talking about that association for retired folks I'm a member of that one too. AARP mailed me a membership card about a month after I got discharged from the Marines. I didn't even request it - but hey, I am eligible for big savings on insurance, motel rooms, I haven't had the chutzpah yet to do it but one of these days I swear I'll walk into McDonalds and insist on getting 15% off on my coffee :-}
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would never join AARP...they lobby against money going to schools. AAA can give you the same discounts.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    I would never join AARP...they lobby against money going to schools. AAA can give you the same discounts.
    I'm with the "goddess" on this one. I'll never join based on their lobbying positions.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I'm with the "goddess" on this one. I'll never join based on their lobbying positions.
    Ahhh, the essence of democracy. I'm afraid that something that benefits one demographic group necessarily comes at the expense of another. Every virtue is someone else's corollary sin.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 12:10 PM
  2. AARP Laefest, anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Aug 2011, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Nov 2010, 3:59 PM