Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not homeless after all

Registered
    Jul 2002

Not homeless after all

<big sigh of relief>

Yesterday I found a place to move into. Only had 1 week left to find something so was starting to get stressed! It's quite cool, reasonably priced room sharing a place with 2 others, in central city (only 5-10mins walk from all the bars ), in a 1950s art deco apartment block! (not sure how i feel about art deco but hey I can't see it from inside the building). It's a cool area too, lots of old buildings and big trees, on a hillside, close to everything.

Such a relief to have it sorted!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations, I can't wait to get back to real urban living in about . . . 20 years.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    cool congrats!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Great!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Congrats on the new place!
    Why were you going to be homeless? Some one kicking you out?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Am already planning the flat-warming (=house-warming?) party to celebrate. Got real tired of looking at places real fast!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Great to hear you found a new pad (place to stay, I know where your minds are dirt balls).

I have been in your shoes before. In college it always seemed like I was waiting the month before the semester would start to find a place to live.

Sound like a nice place in a nice location. Can't wait to see pictures.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Congrats on the new place!
    Why were you going to be homeless? Some one kicking you out?
    Nah, wasn't really going to be homeless because my parents live close enough that I could have stayed with them if I had to, but it would have meant 3x the length of commute.

Moving because lease on current place expires on 22nd and Texan flatmate is heading home, and other flatmate is moving in with friends. We all got on really well and will be sad to leave them. I could have stayed and got other people in but I decided I don't like it that much - apartment is too 'efficient with space' - ie feels cramped and has no outdoor area. Well there's a shared courtyard that nobody uses because it gets no sun and has no privacy.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hope you enjoy the new digs - send some pics, I love Art Deco buildings!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Not homeless after all

I could of loaned you that cardboard box I was talking about

Congrates, now have a
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Congrates, now have a :b:
    A beer at 9:50 am at work?? Can't even celebrate tonight because I'm working with police till 2am.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    A beer at 9:50 am at work?? Can't even celebrate tonight because I'm working with police till 2am.
    Guiness, its whats for breakfast. What are you doing with the police?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    What are you doing with the police?
    I think she's giving the copper she met at the rugby match a checkup

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    <big sigh of relief>

Yesterday I found a place to move into. Only had 1 week left to find something so was starting to get stressed! It's quite cool, reasonably priced room sharing a place with 2 others, in central city (only 5-10mins walk from all the bars )

Am I invited to the apartment warming party???
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You guys crack me up

I'm helping at compulsory alcohol breath-testing driver checkpoints. My workplace has the contract to carry out 'alcohol surveys' which means we accompany police to checkpoints and record information about the drivers. I didn't have to do it, I volunteered because I thought it would be interesting. With my criminology background I am always interested in learning about police attitudes and practices. So for the next 3 Fridays that's what I'll be doing!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Am I invited to the apartment warming party???
    Sure but can you get here?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Depends on when the party is...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Saturday March 13th

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well that is a little soon, and I think that my personal jet will be in the shop that weekend...

I guess you will just have to take a lot of pictures and e-mail them so I can feel like I am there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    yeah, if she takes lots of pics, we can put us there with the magic of photoshop
    (right nerudite?)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    So many responses to include.

1) Congrats on finding a new place, that is my biggest annoyance right now, trying to find something 16 hours away.

2) Drinking before going to work is OK, you can be the neutral calibration tool for the breathalzyer machine.

3) How likely is it that we are we going to see you on NZ dumbest criminals?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congratulations on the new place. I appreciate knowing I have a place to stay. BTW, the last time I checked, it was $1500 to fly from Chicago to Wellington.

donk - I have faced the same issue of finding a place to stay. What I did was make arrangements to stay at a local hotel for the first few weeks until I could scout the area and find someplace where I wanted to live.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    donk - good luck with your search!

The dumbest person we had on Friday night was this Canadian dude. So we've got this checkpoint set-up on a one-way street, with flares on the road, lots of orange cones, 3 police cars with lights flashing, and 5 or 6 of us walking round with reflective orange vests on. Highly visible and obvious. This car comes round the corner, does a quick U-turn and speeds off! So one of the policemen gives chase, eventually pulls the guy over and it turns out he hasn't been drinking at all, he's a Canadian tourist who didn't realise it was a one-way street!!!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Must have been a newfie. (sorry newfies)

donk - good luck with your search!

The dumbest person we had on Friday night was this Canadian dude. So we've got this checkpoint set-up on a one-way street, with flares on the road, lots of orange cones, 3 police cars with lights flashing, and 5 or 6 of us walking round with reflective orange vests on. Highly visible and obvious. This car comes round the corner, does a quick U-turn and speeds off! So one of the policemen gives chase, eventually pulls the guy over and it turns out he hasn't been drinking at all, he's a Canadian tourist who didn't realise it was a one-way street!!!
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

Pics!

A couple of people mentioned an interest in seeing photos of my new digs...

We are on the second level - the middle balcony closest to the camera with the open door is ours and that's my car in the garage!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Homeless housing
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Jul 2011, 2:28 PM
  2. Homeless shelters
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Aug 2006, 11:38 PM
  3. Homeless guy at work