Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA Elections...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

APA Elections...

Does anyone know anything about the other two candidates (Other than BOB). Looked at some of the information and I am sorry, but they do not impress me.

Does one need to be AICP to run for president? Maybe I will have to toss my hat into the ring next year!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Michaelskis for President!

I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon. Let all those APA patronage jobs go to Cyburbia members!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody get the mailing from

APAWatchDog - http://apawatchdog.org/
    your independent watchdog of APA and AICP

This site is not an official site of the American Planning
    Association or the American Institute of Certified Planners.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I have questionarre responses from the candidates from the Chapter Presidents Council if anyone is interested. PM me and I can e-mail you the pdf files.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I was debating if I should even vote????

When it comes to municipal or state elections I have not miss one since I turned 18, but the APA....HMMMM..... Is it worth it??

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I voted for the deconstructionistas. If they mentioned chapter support as being important they got my vote. I voted before I went to the APA watch site and found myself voting their slate. Spooky!

Sorry Bob Hunter, but you didn't reply to my email after asking us to email you. Thus, my vote went to the Floyd.

Ski - you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.
    Can you tell us some more, EG? Other than having a beef with the image of APA participantistas, what are some of the more serious issues and complaints you have with APA? I'm sort of shielded from that because my employer takes care of all the costs, etc. We do get all the publications, and they are hardly readable. The new Zoning Practice looks interesting, though. The Audioconferences are interesting and a nice diversion. But other than that, I have no real interaction with APA, other than the stuff I read here on Cyburbia. In a way, they are almost a non-entity, but still, they are visible and do seem to offer some useful products and services. I don't know, maybe I'm so new at the professional planning game that maybe those with a longer institutional memory can enlighten me. And the so-called APA "apologists" can participate in this discussion, too - I'd like to hear what;s right with APA as well. Thanks.

Sorry Bob Hunter, but you didn't reply to my email after asking us to email you. Thus, my vote went to the Floyd.
    I did the same. I don't know how Bob expects people to vote for him if he doesn't respond to simple inquiries regarding his position.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 1996
    My biggest beef with APA is not supporting the Chapters and Divisions.....there can be an awful lot of good work done at the chapter level, but right now the support is not there. Like El Guapo, all my votes go to those committed to directing resources to the chapters.

My only interaction with national is paying my APA and AICP dues (through my employer), and the publications. I am, however, active in the chapter and attend/organize/help out where ever I can at that level, because I can see the return on my investment of time (continuing education, networking, programs and workshops, etc.).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ski - you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.
    I was being sarcastic… unless things change, it would be like shooting my self in the foot. Would still be there, just a lot of pain. Someday, I will run for the Michigan Chapter. (After several years of experience)

Does anyone know how I can get involved now? Who would I contact? I have never been to a chapter conference.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've uploaded the pdf's I mentioned in my previous post, they're now available on the bottom of the NNECAPA Chapter Website's main page.

www.nnecapa.org/start.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cyburbia FAC Elections 2012
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 99
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 1:26 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 04 Nov 2010, 4:59 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Nov 2005, 2:45 PM
  4. local elections database and consultants
    Economic and Community Development