Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown Buffalo Pics

Registered
    Dec 2003

Downtown Buffalo Pics

I had nothing to do again for lunch so I took some more pics.

Looking east towards Lafayette Square.

Looking north up Main St

Brisbane building on the right and Hotel Lafayette on the left. Hmmm, looks like the NCAA tournement is coming to town.

Looking south down Main St

Looking west on Court St towards City Hall from Lafayette Square. I heard that jerk Rumpy works in the building on the right.

Rand Building looking north from the sq

Looking west at Liberty Building

Looking North

Looking West, Prudential (Guaranty) Building right of St.Paul's church

Looking south Marine Midland building (HSBC) on left

Old Post Office in center, now ECC campus.

Prudential (Guaranty) Building

Looking South West

Looking North up Pearl St

Looking South down Pearl St

Looking west towards Old County Hall

Looking north

Old County Hall

Looking south

Looking Northwest towards McKinley Sq

A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Great photographs. Buffalo has some fantastic architecture. 100 years from now, we won't see any legacy like these buildings from our era.

Its obviously cloudy, but how cold was it? I ask that, because there are no people around

Registered
    Dec 2003
    It was pretty windy and cloudy for the most part. Sun broke out late afternoon, with snow likely tonight. I tried to avoid most people cause they tend to walk right in front of your path.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Great photos !!!!

It certainly looks like the folks who designed and built Buffalo's buildings (from any era) then traveled west and designed and built the structures in Toledo. The Toledo buildings are smaller but they seem to share many of the same characteristics (sic?).

Sorry, I have no Toledo photos to share.....but those of you who have been to Toledo probably know (agree) with what I'm saying.

Similar city histories, lake-oriented, rust-belt, probably "union mentality" in Buffalo (as in Toledo), smart (educated) folks leaving for other places (brain drain), factory town.

Footnote: There is nobody on the sidewalks of downtown Toledo when it's warm or cold.

Bear Posting At The Western Basin End Of Erie

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Great photos !!!!

It certainly looks like the folks who designed and built Buffalo's buildings (from any era) then traveled west and designed and built the structures in Toledo. The Toledo buildings are smaller but they seem to share many of the same characteristics (sic?).
    Similar city histories, lake-oriented, rust-belt, probably "union mentality" in Buffalo (as in Toledo), smart (educated) folks leaving for other places (brain drain), factory town.
    Too bad some of our other architectual buildings have been destroyed, like the Larkin Building designed by FLW. A warehouse portion he designed wasn't destroyed, and is being used as office space.

All the things you described about Toledo, are very similar for Buffalo and other Great Lakes cities.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    looks cold!!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Those pictures seriously need some post-production. :-P

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Those pictures seriously need some post-production. :-P
    Pics shown as is, what do you expect from a crappy camera and a dark day? No time to clean up and lighten up some of the images.

Registered
    May 2003

Great Shots!

Good work, Rumpy. I was there last summer and made the rounds of downtown following a 25 year hiatus. At that time, I took so many shots I used up the memory card in the digital [probably 25 of the Guaranty alone].

A great town and one I hope it sustains in time to reverse the population hemorraging and the demolition of some remarkable structures....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 10:53 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 Sep 2006, 6:06 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 Jul 2006, 8:23 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jun 2005, 8:13 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Feb 2004, 11:10 AM