Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer work

Registered
    Jul 2002

Volunteer work

AIB Budgie..

Here's a chance to discuss volunteer work you have done in your community. This is NOT a competition, but rather a chance to learn a bit more about, and maybe be inspired by, some of your fellow Cyburbanites.

So, what volunteer work have you done? And/or, what are you thinking of doing?

I am new to it myself but found I really enjoyed being a volunteer marshall at a women's triathlon recently. I am thinking of becoming a Youthline counsellor which is basically being a telephone counsellor for young people to call when they need someone to talk to about problems/issues/worries, and act as a point of referral to other services if necessary. Shifts are only 2.5 hours 3x a month in the evening. 10 weeks of training though!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I havent done anything lately, but in the recent past I have done warehouse work for a local food pantry, have volunteered for the local chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis foundation staffing events, and did some fund raising for the AIDS Resource Center.

Registered
    May 1997
    We are currently serving as foster parents for an extremely neurotic cat for the Feral Cat Foundation. Having just cleaned up another "expression" of his issues, I am not sure I'd recommend this job.

The best time of our lives was last summer's volunteer work: taking 45 days to serve as wilderness rangers in an area of national forest that would otherwise have had virtually no Forest Service presence all summer.

Over the last several years I have had several opportunities to volunteer in my community. Among them are:
    • Serving as a team leader to raise money and build a handicap accessible playground
    • Serving on the local YMCA Board and as Chairman 1 year
    • Serving on the local school district's education foundation, currently serving as treasurer
    • Serving as Chairman of our local "Friends of Scouting" fundraising dinner
    • Volunteer on two annual downtown festivals, I am serving as Chairman of both this year
    • Serving as a member of the United Way funds distribution committee
    • Serving on our local Parenting Center's Federal Programs Advisory Committee

I have also served in my church in a variety of capacities including Administrative Board Chairman, Growth and Development Committee Chairman, Usher, Sunday School Teacher, Nursery worker, etc.

Again, as stated in the beginning of this thread, this is not to boast. Each opportunity has been a learning experience and often times has been quite humbling. One thing that I have learned is that the more volunteer work that you do, the more you are asked to do. It is real easy to overload yourself if not careful.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Before Grad school - Volunteer EMT/Firefighter
    During Grad school - Co State Parks - Trails Program

Since moving to this fair city -
    Christian Life Center - Thanksgiving Dinner preparation/cooking about 2,000 meals that's is delivered to the needy.
    Greenway - trail monitor (really tough making me ride my bike or walk )
    Solid Waste Management District - various community recycling days.
    Emergency Management Agency - weather spotter
    mix/blend between my job and personal interests - I am staff for the EOC and serve on the LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee under SARA Title III).
    even have a radio and call sign.
    Was a Boy Scout Leader - Unit Commissioner and Merit Badge counselor. I am an Eagle Scout after all.
    Judge for the American Trails website contest.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not the best at volunteering (at least on a regular basis). I think it has to do with my job right now, and how volatile the night meetings are (I have meetings at different times, on different days... other than Fridays). So I usually end up doing short term projects on a volunteer basis.

As an example, I used to volunteer for L.A. area conservancy on reviewing proposed plans and subdivisions for comment to the County/City of LA. I have done a bunch of those one-day beach clean ups, river valley clean ups, etc. Also, I enjoy working on playground assembly projects (I have done this about 5 or 6 times). There is a weekend coming up in our neighbourhood that will have a playground installation project, and I'll likely volunteer for that if we still have the weekend open.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Cub Scout leader
    Soccer coach
    Have also volunteered to help with events at my mom's church
    State director for FL Planning & Zoning Assoc. (until they ticked me off)
    Volunteer for events at my son's school

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm not a volunteer to any organization but I help everday people I see on the street who are in need of assistance. The last person I helped was a lady who could barely walk due to cancer in her leg. She missed her connecting bus which usually had a group of friends she rode with to help her and was late for work at 6 in the morning. So she got on the bus I was taking to connect with the train. I had to hold her arm and make sure she didn't fall getting on and off the bus and down into the subway.

I use to give to the homeless and semi-homeless, but that has changed over the past year. Seeing people spend their SSI check at the beginning of the month on crap and then breaking your balls for change really got me mad. If I know a person is really homeless, I'll buy them a drink and usually a sub as we hang out and talk on a bench. But lately its been to cold for that.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Children's liturgy leader at church
    Cub Scout pack newsletter coodinator
    Was on borough rec board (until they ticked me off)
    Search committee for school principal
    Parish Council
    Volunteered for Soil Conservation Service
    Volunteered for my current employer

Right now, my volunteering is self-serving and convenient - since I have to take the kids places, I might as well volunteer for their interests.

As far as volunteering for SCS; that opened the door to the jobs I held since college.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Group leader for my local Alcoholic Anonymous group.
    Chaparone for local troubled teen girls home.

There's more, much more.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Group leader for my local Alcoholic Anonymous group.
    Chaparone for local troubled teen girls home.

There's more, much more.
    Allright Budgie, good for you, I was wondering when you where getting on the wagon. oh man, lmfao
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of my volunteer work seems to be within the profession, to a number of state organizations. Other than that, I will occasionally show up for a trail building program or prairie restoration work day.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    In part because I was sort of an "old fashioned" homemaker, I have essentially had a "volunteer career" that actually goes back more than 20 years to at least age 16:

In high school, I helped tutor English as a Second Language for immigrant parents. And as a member of Mu Alpha Theta, I tutored math for free after school once or twice a week. I won't bother to try to remember all the clubs and crap I was in.

As a military wife, I did about 15 years as a very active member of Army Family Support Groups. I recieved training packets, at least one recognition certificate of some type, and loads of experience in various types of work -- hostess, "help desk" functions, point of contact, wrote and published newsletters (for which I recieved a training packet), etc.

When my kids were in public school, I did a fair amount of volunteer work for the schools -- especially the brief period when they were both in school. I did layouts in part of the year book one year, helped out when they were administering eye test, acted as hostess and such for parties, and so on -- much the same kind of work I did for Army FSG's, actually.

After I began homeschooling, I did volunteer work related to that -- moderated a list for homeschoolers, which lead to an offer to do more and I ended up being list owner on half a dozen lists and worked closely with the founder who was wanting to move from "voluntary health and welfare organization" status to "tax deductible 503c Charitable Organization" status. Interesting stuff and very cutting edge but it never did come to fruition. I don't know the whole story because, not long after "lack of energy" and an impending move forced me to quit (very reluctantly, I might add), well, I started the whole Fun Life Detour of being bedridden and hanging out in medical hell, yadda yadda.

I did an internship with a homeless shelter during my trip through Medical Hell as part of my requirement for a class and I never stop showing up to do stuff for them. I was up there earlier tonight, actually. I do some pro bono consulting for a community activist friend of mine in New Mexico and my homeschooling website is kind of "volunteer work" too: I am trying to get that stuff up on the web in part so I don't outright abandon the online homeschooling community as I do less and less there and more that is career-related. That may not work out exactly as fantasized but it is nice to be able to say "See X page on my website" and make a FEW more comments rather than reinvent the wheel every single time I open my mouth.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I volunteer my time by working with High School kids as a mentor and core member with the Life Teen Program at my Church, (it takes about 8 hours a week) and I also give free ski or snowboard lessons to kids who can not afford an instructor.

It is not much... but it gives me a chance to be a big kid.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've been really bad about not volunteering over the past couple of years. New jobs, moving, relationships...I guess I've just been a little self involved as of late, which is not like me considering that I used to voluneer a great deal of time. I was involved with Habitat for Humanity (one of my favorite charities), helped out at the local Academy of Science science hub while in college (nerd), was a Big Brother for a little hellion kid, and helped out with the local Boy Scout Troop (as an Eagle Scout like JNA, I was just doing my duty).

Maybe I'll start doign some good works again....like offering free mammograms to college girls.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Former alternate Zoning Board member in my hometown (didn't seek reappointment due to conflicts with work night meetings)
    Been on the APA chapter executive committee for the past 6 years (in capacity of both webmaster and state director)
    Served on the NH Planners Association Executive committee for 5 years (Interim past president [long story], Public Information Officer, and NNECAPA ex-officio)
    Coached a women's softball team last summer
    Did some Habitat for Humanity work in the past as well.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Most of my volunteer work was done back home in Oklahoma.
    Chamber of Commerce,
    the local theatre board,
    YMCA board,
    work with abused kiddos (teenage girls),
    etc.

I would like to get involved with the wildlife rescue organization here. Helping animals is what I'd really like to do...but if I tried the Humane Society or something like that, I'd end up taking them all home with me!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I used to volunteer for an organization that assisted the blind. I'd deliver special receivers that would broadcast a frequency put out by this organization where they read books etc. over the air. I've also had a few jobs at Group Homes for developmentally delayed adults, and worked as an on-call "Mental Health Counselor," which was a very strange experience. Recently, I've just been "volunteering" to raise my kids with the occassionl work related board.

I really want to do Habitat for Humanity sometime - do you really need no homebuilding or carpentry experieince?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Does giving up a few pints of blood every year count as volunteering?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I used to volunteer for an organization that assisted the blind. I'd deliver special receivers that would broadcast a frequency put out by this organization where they read books etc. over the air. I've also had a few jobs at Group Homes for developmentally delayed adults, and worked as an on-call "Mental Health Counselor," which was a very strange experience. Recently, I've just been "volunteering" to raise my kids with the occassionl work related board.

I really want to do Habitat for Humanity sometime - do you really need no homebuilding or carpentry experieince?
    Actually one of my co-workers is very involved with H for H. They utilitize his planning experience to obtain properties and all of the stuff (platting, site planning, affordable housing, etc) that goes along with it. So don't worry about having to pick up a hammer! You can definitely be a valuable resource.

I recently did the first of two workshops to be eligible for the Literacy program. It's a six month commitment and I'm pretty excited about it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now: I put about 5-10 hours a week into my local Boy Scout Troop. I also pay taxes in huge chunks of my money that support federal and state programs and I give directly to individual charities that I feel are worthy. My "giving theme" is building young people with character. Remember this is alot for a Fascist Republican. It might even get me in trouble if the rest of the heartless gang find out.

Volunteer carpenter for minor housing rehab blitz program every spring (10 years)
    Design committee for our local main street program (13 years)
    Board member of our enterprise zone (1 year)
    Former soccer coach (6 years, but do not want to coach my own kids now)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I also give free ski or snowboard lessons to kids who can not afford an instructor.
    Cool! Will you give lessons to big kids too?? (like, 24 yr-olds who want to learn to snowboard)

biscuit - I reckon it does. I'm a regular too, though I get a lot of stick from mates hassling me about track marks! (like: Oh yeah, you got that from donating blood?...right...)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Volunteer carpenter for minor housing rehab blitz program every spring (10 years)
    That sounds pretty cool! A neat way to combine something you enjoy/are good at with helping out the community.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Apr 2012, 7:05 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Feb 2011, 6:29 PM
  3. Volunteer abroad
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Sep 2007, 5:40 PM
  4. Replies: 5