Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Budgie on NPR?

Registered
    Feb 2000

Budgie on NPR?

Your's truly might be on NPR. More details as they become available.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Your's truly might be on NPR. More details as they become available.
    Okay, not that it is any of my business, but I have to ask: given that you are here "anonymously" under a nom de plume, how in heck will we know it is you???

See, that is why I basically go by my actual name. Not that I will ever be on NPR...

Er, what I mean is: Congrats!!!

Are you going to plug Cyburbia like it's nobodys business??

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A Cyburbian on NPR? I want to see that!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What is this NPR you speak of?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    National Public Radio

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nice! Be sure to let us know when it all goes down, and don't forget to plug the site if you can squeeze it in there!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If anything, I thought El Guapo would be the furst Cyburbanite on NPR. Tom and Ray love to hold forth about Volvos on Car Talk.

Quote Originally posted by JNL
    National Public Radio, or as they say on the broadcasts, "National ......... Public ......... Radio."

NPR is a godsend. If you're driving through the middle of nowhere, USA, you'll encounter radio wastelands, where few or no broadcast stations can be recieved. If you pick up anything on the car stereo, it'll be country music, norteño and ranchero music (sad Mexican polkas), farm reports (livestock auction prices, and crop and livestock prices at various markets, recited for hour after hour), or Juh-HEE-uhh-suh-hus. However, even in the most remote of radio wastelands, you'll almost always find an NPR station, usually between 88.1 and 91.9 MHz. It's America's version of BBC Radio 4, CBC Radio 1, or RNZ National Radio.

Some NPR stations will have primarily news and non-music shows, a few others play mostly classical music and jazz, but the majority lie in the middle. Many cities have more than one NPR station. NPR stations aren't really owned by NPR, but by a non-profit organization, foundation, university, or local or state government. Many broadcast shows provided by PRI, like Prairie Home Companion and Whad'Ya Know?.

Because the US government doesn't have domestic radio broadcasts, public radio is usually sponsored by a variety or foundations and corporations. Before a show, you'll often hear a pretentious-sounding list of foundation sponsors. (Not long ago, I finally realized what the NEEKC Foundation really was.) No commercials, although there are obnoxious pledge drives a couple of times a year. "A fifty dollar donation will earn you a wonderful tote bag!"

WCPN and WKSU are Cleveland's NPR stations. Buffalo, my smaller hometown up the road, is blessed with three NPR stations.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2004
    NPR? I'm sorry, man.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    If anythign, I thought El Guapo would be the furst Cyburbanite on NPR. Tom and Ray love to hold forth about Volvos on Car Talk.
    I am too surprised or kind of expected it, Now that Dan has mentioned it.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From The Onion:

Corey Flintoff Unleashes Sonorous, Pleasantly Modulated String Of Obscenities

WASHINGTON, DC—Upon injuring a toe Sunday, Corey Flintoff, newscaster for NPR's All Things Considered, unleashed a string of rich, pleasantly modulated obscenities. "God f***ing dammit," Flintoff warmly intoned after dropping a heavy-duty router on his foot while working in his garage. "Stupid ****ing c******king son of a bitch." Added Flintoff in a lush baritone: "God**** motherf****** s***-for-brains. This is NPR." Next-door neighbor Cheryl Thomas, who overheard the tirade, said Flintoff's delivery was so melodic, she was unaware that he was swearing.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Manauga Nicarauga

No, if I was ever to make it on NPR it would be a scalding attack by the gang at All Things (liberal) Considered. Their expose of "Fascists in Planning" would surely have sound bites of my Nuremburg speeches and Nina Totenberg readings of my Cyburbia Manifestos. Yes indeed, my time on NPR wouldn't be a happy one for any of us. But I'd cherish the News Hour coffee mug premium I'd receive for my $36 donation.

BTW - Click and Clack crack me up. I love those guys.

PS Good Luck Budgie - Have fun and pronounce Guatemala for us NPR-Style when you get on the show.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Very cool, Budgie. Must have something to do with the Segway?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Very cool, Budgie. Must have something to do with the Segway?
    No it doesn't involve the Segway. But if you're familiar with the artistic way they put news stories together, I'll probably be described as,

"Mr. Budgie, the stikingly handsome, Segway gliding, Community Development Director of Anytown sits in his office filtering through legal opinions, statutes and maps. Regarding the issue at hand, this modern renasounce (spelling) man calmly and eloquently clarifies the larger community's position.

"Mr. Budgie, the stikingly handsome, Segway gliding, Community Development Director of Anytown sits in his office filtering through legal opinions, statutes and maps. Regarding the issue at hand, this modern renasounce (spelling) man calmly and eloquently clarifies the larger communities position.
    Budgie, you forgot "MODEST"!

Say, are you taking over for Louisville native Bob Edwards, who just got shown the door?
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Budgie, you forgot "MODEST"!
    My point is NPR tries to embellish. OK, I suppose they could say.

"Mr. Budgie, the stikingly slovenly, Segway geek, Community Development Director of Anytown sits in his office blowing his nose, picking his teeth and wiping the crumbs of a week old donut from his fraying and discolored shirt. Regarding the issue at hand, this atypical boobus americanus local government tweeker had little to say, but his belly did gurgle.

Is that NPR's style?

[WIPING COFFEE FROM MONITOR] Work mates checking in to see why Gedunker is howling [/WIPING COFFEE FROM MONITOR]
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Double SNARF
    because of Budgie's 2 postings.
    bet ya the truth lays somewhere between those 2 postings.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Liberal Commie Planner.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Will this be brodcast nationally or only on your local NPR affliate?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    IF this is national... I want a heads up... The radio sits on the cubicle wall between maister and I.

We will listen and enjoy. (Unless one of us is stuck with a head set attached to our melon while we are temporarily relocated to the front desk)
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Will this be brodcast nationally or only on your local NPR affliate?
    Yeah, are they going to pick this up nationally or just the local affilliate station? Bottom line - are many Cyburbians going to have a chance to hear the broadcast?

On a semi-related note, Yours Truly does 'old-time radio shows' which are broadcast on a couple of West Michigan Public Radio affiliate stations the 4th Sunday of each month at 6:00 p.m. However, if anyone gets a chance to listen they'll be more likely to hear me doing cartoon voices than discussing conservation easements.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    However, if anyone gets a chance to listen they'll be more likely to hear me doing cartoon voices than discussing conservation easements.....
    I like it.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Will there be a call in session so I can asked this Budgie some questions pertaining to his leadership and performance at his local "AA" chapter?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I like it.
    Yes, I have always wanted to assume my 'Bullwinkle' persona during a zoning board meeting, but have successfully fought the urge so far. Imagine the following exchange:
    Chair - the applicant has noted that they did not recieve a copy of the 300 foot notification as required by statute. Does city staff know why that might be?
    Bullwinkle - No sir, your honor, sir, I mean Mr. Chair, sir....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 23 Mar 2004, 6:38 PM
  2. The Budgie Bio
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 03 Jul 2003, 9:23 AM