Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Holland

Registered
    Mar 2004

Greetings from Holland

Hi,

I was looking for a cool forum on Urban Design, and I sort of bumped into here. So here I am, a Bsc Urbanism student at the Delft Technical University in Holland (yes we have cable tv, so whe must have powerlines here, thank you). This is more like a design school (Urbanism is a sub-department at the Architecture deparment here). I am pretty interested in (studying) american New Urbanism, that was the main reason I found this site. You have some nice discussions going on about this matter, very interesting. I guess New Urbanism is more like European urbanism, high density, more based on a local tradition etc. but I am mainly interested in the way people in the US actually think about it. And I think most people who think about this sort of stuff is spending his/her time around here .

So hello everybody!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the Washington DC area. Yes there are a bit of chatter about NU here-some of us like it some of us dont. Just dont ask about wal mart
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from Pennsylvania.

There are often discussions of New Urbanism and it would be great to have another international voice in the fray. So jump in and post often.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome aboard
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from central New York State in the USA.

It's always great to get another international perspective here in the forums.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sorry for asking, but what's the problem whith Wal-mart? That they have ugly cardboard-box-like buildings all around America? This surely is a problem, that isn't really solved in Europe either. I guess you all know about inner-city shopping centers in Holland, but large grocery stores like Wal-mart are also present there, and I can tell you a big box-like structure is al lot uglier inside a historical city centre than at the sidewalk of a highway....

I hope I will be able to get into New Urbanism... I think I will post a question about it in the student lounge today.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome!

And Sam's law in 6 posts for an introduce yourself post! :-P
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from Idaho, USA.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Welcome from Canada, eh? Feel free to ask all the questions you want!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I thought it was Netherlands and that Holland referred strictly to the adjacent coastal region of the North Sea. Maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, welcome !!!! I've been to the Netherlands on 4 separate occassions, mostly to Utrecht and Amsterdam.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to the boards. If you have an alefest or a 'coffee house fest' in Amsterdam, I'll be sure to try to make it.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicago!

I appreciate most of the theory behind NU, but most of the places with that moniker that have been built here have been diluted by the builders and marketers and the (supposed) demand of the buyers.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hi and welcome from Florida, USA.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Howdy from Northern Virginia. I bought my dog from a person in Holland, so he says hello too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to Cyburbia. I'm already intrigued by your observations on New Urbanism vs. European Urbanism, and Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Welcome to the boards. If you have an alefest or a 'coffee house fest' in Amsterdam, I'll be sure to try to make it.
    What is the "alefest" thing you speak of?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Welcome to Cyburbia. I'm already intrigued by your observations on New Urbanism vs. European Urbanism, and Wal-Mart.

What is the "alefest" thing you speak of?
    I almost typed laefest, but thought it would be a bad idea in an introduction post (don't want to use an inside joke that s/he may not get. )

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welcome kickert from Cyburbia's Ambassador for New Zealand There are plenty of discussions on here about NU to keep you amused!

Greetings from time-challendged Indiana.

My gripe with NU is that it is taking palce on greenfields for the most part. To do it right, you should go adjacent to the city center, tear down the mostly post-war crud, and redevelop with NU, but nobody appears to be doing it.

So we plug on with the plain traditional urbanist redevelopment model.

Welcome and enjoy the debate.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    It's nice to hear such enthousiastic replies . It is true that most NU developments seem to have been built in a rural/suburban setting, it is one of the things I find truly strange. Why doesn't a compact design discipline take more of an inner-city challenge?

Anyway, Holland is indeed the part of the Netherlands by the sea, I live in South Holland to be exact. And in Holland we don't have coffee-house parties all day . I'm glad to, this would then seriously damage my brain in the end .

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welkom and utilise the vast resources of Cyburbia for intellectual growth and good fun.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by kickert
    And in Holland we don't have coffee-house parties all day .
    The last time my passport had a Netherlands stamp on it, I got strip searched in Atlanta. Go figure !!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Welcome from an hour and a half away from Holland Michigan!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well Budgie, since you are talking in this forum right now, I'm sure security didn't find anything . I hear stories from Dutch people, but if you just keep acting like a normal person, the chance of an extended search or a 2-hour interrogation is not that big. Well, just don't wear any strange hats or beards .

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Welcome - I had a wonderful time when I visited Holland during my time in the US Army in Germany. Your nation just overwhelmed us with kindness and hospitality. What a great place to live and visit. My fondest memory was hanging out in Amsterdam for a week. I also spend a few days in Hoek van Holland. It is a sea port for the North Sea fairy to Harwich England. I hope I spelled that right.

I did visit a coffee house and the red-light district of Amsterdam, but only as a tourist. I partook of neither flesh nor herb. I used to work on Nukes and they would give us a urinalysis almost monthly. So refffer is right out. Plus, whores and herb look bad on the resume.

I also loved your cops. They were so cool. You have to love a country where the police are “Polite.” At least I think that is how you spell it.

In my wallet I still carry the 5 Guilder note that was the sum total of all the cash I had when I left Holland for the drive back to German when the two weeks were over. I had that note, a tank of gas and two very drunk army buddies in my old Ford Taurus. We pulled into our kassern with the tank reading below "E."

So, welcome to Cyburbia, where we too rely on our dikes and pumps.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You've spelt everthing totally correctly . I am sorry to say the 5 guilder note isn't worth anything anymore, we have changed our currency to Euro's.

Thank you for saying our cops are polite. I will tell one when I get caught for driving my bicycle without my lights on. The problem is that sometimes they seem to be too polite, because they are paid for catching criminals, not people with broken bicycle lights like me . Anyway, it is Politie with an i in the middle somewhere.

The Amsterdam Red Light district is mainly aimed at tourists. I think, you've really made the right choice to remain passive there. Well... the herb, if you work with nukes it's better to stay sober I guess . Always nice to see people seem to identify the Netherlands as weed-capital of the world. I am sorry to confess you that Dutch people don't smoke grass all day. Too much really causes brain damage. Just tell me when I'm acting silly .

But what did you think of the cities in Holland? Did you like them? I always like to know what foreign people think of Holland .

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest August 20, 2011 Holland, MI
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 98
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 2:26 PM
  2. Greetings from Holland!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Aug 2006, 10:17 AM
  3. Any firms in Holland?