Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greetings from Holland

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by kickert
    Well Budgie, since you are talking in this forum right now, I'm sure security didn't find anything . I hear stories from Dutch people, but if you just keep acting like a normal person, the chance of an extended search or a 2-hour interrogation is not that big. Well, just don't wear any strange hats or beards .
    I didn't exactly blend in at the time.

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I also spend a few days in Hoek van Holland. It is a sea port for the North Sea fairy to Harwich England. I hope I spelled that right.
    You spelled it correctly. I've been on the ferry from Harwich to the Hoek 4 round trips. The North Sea can be a real bitch. Go sea sick about half the time... of course it may have been the duty free liquor. It seems like it was a 7 hour boat ride. But if you go down the coast to Dover, England you can get to Calias (spelling), France by ferry (1 hour 40 minutes) or by hovercraft (30 minutes). I took the hovercraft. The channel tunnel was only on the drawing board at the time.

You might appreciate that my parents Volvo was delivered to us through the port at Harwich. We went down there to pick it up.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 05 Apr 2004 at 1:19 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Greetings from time-challendged Indiana.
    Welcome from a Non-Hoosier trapped in time and place.
    Gedunker makes me think of
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" by Chicago
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well right now it barely pays off, when you take the ferry. Low-cost airlines take you anywhere you want for a really low fare. So ferries are mainly for people with cars. I am a student, I travel on the national public transport system for free, so I don't need a car. But those airlines like easyjet and ryanair are really cool. I always like to fly to Venice for 5 cents.... plus taxes (20 euros) . Maybe an idea for the next time you go to europe?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    But what did you think of the cities in Holland? Did you like them? I always like to know what foreign people think of Holland .
    I have a connection with Holland - back in the 50's my dad lived there when supervising the construction of an ocean going cargo ship from keel laying to owner's acceptance. He was a Chief Engineer.
    Better yet - Mom and Dad got married there.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Great to have a Dutch representative in the group. Welcome.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Well right now it barely pays off, when you take the ferry. Low-cost airlines take you anywhere you want for a really low fare. So ferries are mainly for people with cars. I am a student, I travel on the national public transport system for free, so I don't need a car. But those airlines like easyjet and ryanair are really cool. I always like to fly to Venice for 5 cents.... plus taxes (20 euros) . Maybe an idea for the next time you go to europe?
    Sounds like Europe has it's **** together, it'd be nice if we could say the same for the US.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hello and welcome kickert.

I visited the Netherlands in 1986 and enjoyed the experience. You ask what people think of your cities? The only City I visited was Amsterdam and it was very impressive. Very walkable. I remember the bloomen (sorry Dutch spellers) stalls and the raw herrings with chopped onion. Milk from cafes was very popular and cheap - important for backpackers. I can remeber taking a walking tour from the youth hostel and the guide - an architecture student - telling us all to be careful walking around only looking up at the buildings because we needed to look down occasionally to avoid the dog poo on the footpath. He was right but I have heard from friends that public education has overcome that problem. As a city Amsterdam has many fine buildings, streets and plazas. The canals are a signature feature that add beauty, charm and character. I would love to get there again.

Coincidentally I had a grolsch last night. I like the beer but I mainly covet the swing top bottles for home brewing. Cheers , hic.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome and greetings from New Orleans. :-}
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcometo Cyburbia, kickert!
    Hope you're having a great time here!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Welkom aan boord!

Hi kickert,

I've been to Holland many times, having relatives there. My tante (aunt) is in Rijswijk, on the edge of the Hague. I love to walk around older Dutch cities, and I am overdue for another visit. I also like a lot of the more progressive things that are going on in Dutch architecture and landscape architecture. I have several books about it, including Koolhaas overweight tome, S,M,L,XL. Ive been to some of the new towns on polder land, like Almere and Lelystad. Not many tourists go there, but its interesting to someone interested in planning. I envy the kind of control planners wield in the Netherlands. The country is a great lab of urban planning concepts.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Hi kickert,

I've been to Holland many times, having relatives there. My tante (aunt) is in Rijswijk, on the edge of the Hague. I love to walk around older Dutch cities, and I am overdue for another visit. I also like a lot of the more progressive things that are going on in Dutch architecture and landscape architecture. I have several books about it, including Koolhaas overweight tome, S,M,L,XL. Ive been to some of the new towns on polder land, like Almere and Lelystad. Not many tourists go there, but its interesting to someone interested in planning. I envy the kind of control planners wield in the Netherlands. The country is a great lab of urban planning concepts.
    Well it is true that a lot of innovative urban concepts are being developed in Holland. We indeed have a lot of modern, progressive architecture going on here... but I'm not sure I like it all that much. Rem Koolhaas, in my opinion, is the author of numerous books about numerous things, but most of his buildings aren't all that. Especially the user-oriented side of buildings like the Dance Theatre and new Dutch embassy in Berlin is highly underdeveloped. People are really complaining about his buildings. In his footsteps, a huge group of architect arise, building stuff without a social (and urban) context. His plan for the communist-propaganda-building in China seriously added to my thoughts about this architect.

I must really be honest, and tell you i have never been in Almere and Lelystad before. I can however tell you that the first city is now trying to grow to half a million inhabitants, while Lelystad has become a disaster, being largely abandoned. I guess for this city the urban planning concept just didn't work. But a lot of cities in the Netherlands are doing fine, mostly the cities with a historical centre.

I am very pleased to hear you like the Dutch architecture, the progressive side. If you want to see the latest-and-greatest in Dutch architecture, you must like the new 'Blob' architecture made by architects like Oosterhuis. At our department, most of the new research is being done in this field. The buildings look a bit strange, but the organic forms can make a very nice sight.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Yes you have found the very kewlest site ...... Welcome from down state NY!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2003

So I hear...

Rem Koolhaas, in my opinion, is the author of numerous books about numerous things, but most of his buildings aren't all that. Especially the user-oriented side of buildings like the Dance Theatre and new Dutch embassy in Berlin is highly underdeveloped. People are really complaining about his buildings.
    Yeah, I've heard Rem's work along with a lot of other Dutch architects, isn't very popular with the general public. And Rem doesn't help his cause with quotes like "No money, no details" when fending off criticism about his buildings coldness and lack of ornamentation. I've seen the Dance theater in The Hague and the Kunst Hal in Rotterdam, but didn't get inside either of them. I like the forms and the spatial experience around them. I also respect the fact that he has the balls to try to give something progressive to the profession. Some of the work may not be all that successful, but that is how we learn and grow as a culture.

So Lelystad has been a big bust huh? To far from anyplace interesting to be worth living in? My impression was that it appeared to be a very engineered environment. Long, laser-straight roads on laser-level land. For the residents who grew up in traditional Dutch towns, it must feel like they've been exiled to a space colony. How is the Bijlmer housing project in Amsterdam faring? That had been nearly vacated too, right?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    This thread has gone way beyond an intro - if you want to discuss modern dutch architecture, maybe y'all should start a thread out in the forums.

thread closed

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest August 20, 2011 Holland, MI
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 98
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 1:26 PM
  2. Greetings from Holland!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Aug 2006, 9:17 AM