Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: St. Patrick’s Day 04 Nootime Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

St. Patrick’s Day 04 Nootime Question from Michaelskis

Today’s Noontime question from Michaelskis is in honor of this Festive Day of the Irish! We have heard stories of Leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. When I was little, we would hear stories about if you caught a Leprechaun he had to grant you one wish, and if you found his pot of gold you would get to keep it, but he would become mean and try to get it back because it is the source of all his powers. So, growing up, every time I seen a rainbow I would want to go and take the pot of gold, then negotiate for unlimited wishes for him to get his pot of gold back.

Growing up, what legends, myths, or fair tales where you told as you where growing up?

Being that we have many different cultures and regions from around the world, I am looking for some interesting answers to this question.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We were just talking about this one - I don't know if it's from being of Irish descent, but when there was thunder (when we were kids), my mom told us that it was just "God rolling potatoes".

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That if you worked hard, payed your taxes, moved into a nice house in a nice neighborhood, you would live happily ever after and could watch Father Knows Best on tv while your darling wife (wearing a fetching lime green dress) mixes you a martini and your 2.5 children children get all A's in school
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis

I am looking for some interesting answers to this question.
    Well then! You can count me out.

:-0

Quote Originally posted by Maister

That if you worked hard, payed your taxes, moved into a nice house in a nice neighborhood, you would live happily ever after and could watch Father Knows Best on tv while your darling wife (wearing a fetching lime green dress) mixes you a martini and your 2.5 children children get all A's in school
    You were really told this? Ouch! My dad tried to live this lifestyle, but he had a nervous breakdown in 1968 and suffered for 30 years because he still believed in the American dream ->>> COUGH COUGH <<<- and really did not want to understand what was ailing him. He wanted my mom to cook all the meals and darn all of her kids' socks, but really, mom was content just watching Dynasty and Dallas. I think I turned out okay. I certainly don't believe in an American dream ->>> COUGH COUGH <<<- .

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    HA! Good one!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When we would go down to the family reunion in eastern kentucky (yikes!), I was often told not to go running aorund in the fields at night or I would be attacked by the "Ookis". You see, the Ookis is a large black cat-type thing - all black, even its eyes, so you can't see it as it sneaks up on you and pounces with its razor-sharp claws and devours you whole, etc. etc. The other notable characteristic of the Ookis is that it has a bright red butthole (can I say butthole here?), which conveniently allows any adult to say "I see the Ookis out there, you better get inside". When I would say I couldn't see it, they reply "oh, it must've turned around".

This is the family that raised me - no wonder I'm the way I am!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 12:00 Question from Michaelskis
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Mar 2004, 6:44 PM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last post: 20 Feb 2004, 10:58 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 19 Feb 2004, 5:26 PM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last post: 18 Feb 2004, 7:34 PM