Urban planning community

Poll results: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Somewhere, but I don't know where.

5 23.81%
  • I take my vacations in the winter.

0 0%
  • Liechtenstein sounds good that time of the year.

2 9.52%
  • Vacation? What is the vacation you speak of?

14 66.67%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planning Summer Vacation

Registered
    Jul 2003

Planning Summer Vacation

Now that most of the the country (Canada, too) is experiencing warmer weather, I'm sure many of us will be taking some vacation time this summer. As for JNL and Skel, I don't know about you in the southern hemispere, and any others. Where do you plan to go? For my family, we will head up to Spokane and spend some time at our cabin on Deer Lake. My parents are just finishing up the remodel of the structure built by7 my grandfather in the early 1940's. Should be fun - get to teach my boys how to fish.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted the last option, only because I'm sad that I don't have control over my own vacations anymore really. Now I work around Elmo's schedule or his ex-wife's schedule or both. If his ex goes on vacation with the kids in May (or some other time), we'll be going a road trip most likely. Otherwise I don't know if I'll even get a vacation this year.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    None of the above - I know exactly when and where I will be spending my summer vacation. We'll be at Mrs. Tranplanner's family camp (cottage) for a week in August. I'll probably take another week sometime between May and September to work on the house.

Oh, and I'll probably take a couple of days in mid-June if JNL shows up in these parts!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We will be going to Glacier National Park, which gladdens my heart. It is my favorite place. We will also probably do a few three or four day vacations around Helena. And I hope my rafting buddy and I can manage a few days on the river.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Cool place STTG!

We have had a very disappointing summer with LOTS of rain, so I'm not happy that it's starting to get colder already, but I'm very happy that I'll miss mid-winter here because I'll be joining Cyburbanites at a couple of alefests (woo hoo!) then enjoying a European summer in June/July! :-}

I picked the last option because we say holiday rather than vacation.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that the longest period of time that I am going to take off this summer will be when JNL is here and to visit other cyburbeans *Just because I don’t know if I would trust her alone in my apt, or wandering the streets of portage…

Being the new guy, I am last to get time off… so I might take a few sunny Friday afternoons off, and head to the Shore. (of Lake Michigan)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've got nowhere to go and no money for it. I might try to make it to Chicago for the brew, but right now, all I can see is visiting hot Florida for a wedding. Man I need to get away to somewhere before I explode.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    *Just because I don’t know if I would trust her alone in my apt, or wandering the streets of portage…
    :-P You are lucky I know that you are joking!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    . Man I need to get away to somewhere before I explode.
    I know that feeling... best way I have found to soothe the wanderlust on low funds is a weekend visiting friends within a few hours driving distance. Though I have been known to take spur of the moment holidays to Australia! but thats an expensive way to do it.

Orange Beach, Alabama and Laefest.
    Planning on both.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Most likely heading to Mom's house at the Jersey Shore.
    Or CA to visit my brother & family. :-}
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    my wife and I have limited amounts of vacation time available, so we plan on taking trips to places we can visit on weekends. These places must be no farther than 8 hours distant.

First place this summer will be Galena, IL just because everyone says it is really nice and somewhat of a time warp place. Plus, I want to see that part of the State.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    These places must be no farther than 8 hours distant.
    Are you coming back to Toronto this year at all?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic (kind of):

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Are you coming back to Toronto this year at all?
    I don't think so. The main reason we were in Toronto was because of friends that were living there for a year for work.

It was about a 10 hour drive, which was a bit too much driving.

I would like to visit again, but probably not this year.

I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a destination in the following years.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    looking toward vacationing close to home... 4-5 hour drive. Either Lake Champlain or Cape Cod..... probably lake champlain. We are in the midst of changing our plans slightly...as the moron whose camp we put an offer on decided not to sell.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have no plans for a vacation this year. We had talked about a trip to Hawaii after my eldest son graduates from high school in June. But that was before the bomb dropped.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I have no plans for a vacation this year. We had talked about a trip to Hawaii after my eldest son graduates from high school in June. But that was before the bomb dropped.
    Probably out of the loop here but what happened? If you don't mind sharing.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Probably out of the loop here but what happened? If you don't mind sharing.
    Here's your answer.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10803
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    No vacation here, probably Laefest, perhaps a 3-day weekend here and there, but no real vacation. Might go to New York and Boston early next year, though.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    My family is going to the Smokey Mountains for vacation. Lucky me doesn’t get to go thanks to the lovely wording in the employee handbook that says vacation can only be taken after the first full year of employment. I am extra bitter because my dad and uncle want me to go white water rafting with them….how I love white water rafting.

To help recover my hurt feelings The cause and solution to all of life's problems right?!?

Maybe, if I call in really sick, I can get the week off. But I need a doc. excuse. Anyone know a doctor?

Registered
    Sep 1998

Vacation (no) - Working Holiday (yes)

Me:
    I can't afford to take vacations anymore- I just bought a 40 year old house last November.

What to the rest of you is vacation time (summer) is renovation and rehabilitation time for me. I am of course obligated to observe the inverse reationship which exists between the size of my checking account and the home renovation projects I want/need to tackle (new furnace, hydro service, electrical panel upgrade, interior decorating, hardwood floor refinishing, basement insulation, garage addition etc, etc). One of the unknown variables in this proven mathamatical relationship is the reintroduction of my office's "voluntary reduced work week" program (up to 2 weeks off without pay).

On the plus side, I get to fly back to Ontario this spring to pick up a truck and trailer load of my tools tools (and drive them out here) that will allow me to tackle some of these projects.

My back hurts already just thinking about my "vacation".

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dragon
    Lucky me doesn’t get to go thanks to the lovely wording in the employee handbook that says vacation can only be taken after the first full year of employment. ?
    That totally sucks. Hope you sort something out so you can get away!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    That totally sucks. Hope you sort something out so you can get away!

You're telling me!! !! I kind of mentioned it to my boss (who posts on here by the way), and he mentioned the sick leave, I think as a kind of joke, but we also have a conference during the week of the trip. Maybe if I quit shooting rubber bands at him....... o Best not to hold out hope.

Sorry for the rant. And thanks for the well wishes.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Due to health reasons we did not travel on vacation last year. Hoping that this year is better and we return to "the normal plan".....vacation in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Fishing and camping at either Indian Lake State Park or Van Riper State Park (on Lake Michigamme). Indian Lake is near Manistique....that would be the "banana belt" of the U.P., on the north shore of Lake Michigan. Van Riper is about thirty (30) miles west of Marquette.

The fishing, in late July, will probably be lousy. But, in downtown Manistique is Buckshots Bar. Near Van Riper is Stump's Bar. Both offer the particular beverage of my choice.....BEER.

As Michaelskis knows, the conversation at Stump's really will be along the lines of,
    "Hey, I came up to da fish camp....ya know....we got dat dere low water on da lake and...." etc etc etc.

And.....we may take a day trip from the camp and slide up to Gay, Michigan. Located a bit north of Hancock / Houghton (on the beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula, you know the pointy thing sticking into Lake Superior). There is only one (1) business in town......guess the name.....yep, you're right.....The Gay Bar.

Been there a few times. Filled with Finnish / Norwegian fishermen, with strong UP dialects. No funny business, as the name might indicate. Just a good bar.

About half of you don't drink so you don't care.....the other half, one (1) more bar to mention.....eastern U.P. in Paradise.....The Yukon Inn. Many more.

Bear Getting Anxious

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I am going to a wedding in Boston during the month of October. Between that and a few days near Christmas, all vacation days are used up!! We usually spend one weekend a month in the mountains to get out of the Phoenix summer heat.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer Vacation 2007 - Your Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 79
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 7:34 PM
  2. Summer vacation 2005 - Your Plans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 25 Feb 2005, 2:34 PM
  3. Summer Vacation Plans