Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Insane sports groupies (men)

Registered
    Sep 1999

Insane sports groupies (men)

Today my son and I went to an Atlanta Braves spring-training game at Disney. We made the mistake of sitting in our seats, two rows off the field, about 1/2 hr before the game. A Braves player stopped to autograph the ball of a boy in the front row and we were suddenly overrun by rabid "fans", mostly grown men, climbing over the rows of seats, and us, to get an autograph. People were stepping on me, my son, I was shoving teenagers off of us, our burgers and drinks were kicked away, we were cussed at for being in the way, etc. I finally grabbed my child, and screamed bloody murder until I was able to haul him over several row of seats and find an employee who called security.

Is this a guy thing? Is this normal? Was there a higher percentage than normal of repressed jocks there?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Greetings to ZG from Lower Alabama from SC and VD.

It is a guy thing. Be glad a fly ball did not come your way. You short people would not have made it out alive.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    People are dumb at sporting events. I can't count the number of times I've been at a hockey game and seen people spill their $4.50 cola and $7 nachos trying to catch an el cheapo tshirt show from an air cannon.

Then again, I once came away from a particularly rowdy college football celebration with the windshield wiper off a police cruiser unlucky enough to be stuck in the middle of the crowd. In my defense, I wasn't the one who actually de-wipered the police car but yeah, people do stupid things when it comes to sports.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I agree with SC that it is definitely a guy thing. I guess the sports groupies are just like the girls who go insane over boy bands.

BTW, SC - T'hassee is not lower Alabama. Lower Alabama is further west in the panhandle. Or are you truly skipping your training? Hmmm........

I'm thinking repressed jock, but yes a guy thing. I don't get it at all.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Most of them just want their stuff autographed so they can sell it to a local sports shop or on ebay. I remember getting trampled by some guy at a local baseball game when I was a kid. Freaks.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Definitely a sub-culture of the sports fan -- the autograph hound / collector. The players have begun to realize these idiots are out there and try (as the player did in your case) to autograph for kids. Problem is, these jerks now use kids to get the autographs, and wild melees as you described are not uncommon.

Personally, I love baseball and the St. Louis Cardinals, but I am not about to subject myself or my kids to the craze for an autograph. Players come and go, but the game means so much more.

Stadium personnel need to do a better job protecting fans from idiots as you desccribed.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    ZG:

In your case it was probably immature and stupid grwon men, which is very unfortunate.

You should gotten your son to a safe loaction and then kick the crap out of the jerks. Preferably kicking their nuts as often as possible.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    How much of a sissy does a grown man have to be to go all ga-ga over a ball player? Leave that sort of behavior for the 13 year old girls fainting at the sight of Justin Timberlake.

How much of a sissy does a grown man have to be to go all ga-ga over a ball player?
    Amen, it's all very emasculating.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We just had 9 parents arrested at a Squirt League Hockey tournament in one of the suburban towns - 4 women and 5 men, for fighting! WTF?!?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 03 Sep 2011, 5:21 PM
  2. Why are AICP/APA dues insane?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 5:55 PM
  3. Pro sports fan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 01 Feb 2005, 6:10 PM