Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bigotry is alive and well in America

Registered
    Aug 2001

Bigotry is alive and well in America

Unbelievable. How narrow-mided and stupid do you have to be to come up with something like this?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...unty_gay_ban_4
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I agree, that IS unbelievable. But you know, it's not just in the South. I know of a situation where a few of the residents in a particular town had a similar reaction to a group of people from another religion coming to their community... and this is in a fairly liberal region. I'll see if I can find the link...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    While I disagree with the proposed law, isn't most civil law supposed to reflect the generally accepted moral principals of a society? We find it morally wrong to steal, kill, or run around naked in public throught the nation and we have laws that aim to prevent these actions and punish those who break the laws. If this particular county feels that homosexuality is immoral and damaging to society, do they have the right to outlaw what they find may be damaging to their societal beliefs?

This belief, unlike racism, is based upon religious teaching. Relgious teachings are a significant factor in our moral beliefs.

Racism, on the otherhand, is an unfounded belief that doesn't have a moral teaching behind it.

I hope the law doesn't pass, but if it does. I can't wait for the courts to snuff it out and set some precedent against these laws.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ah, but you are totally wrong, boiker. For generations, Southerners (and South Africans) in particular used a particular interpretation of the Bible to justify racism. After all, aren't persons of African descent the "Sons of Ham" and meant ot be "hewers of wood."

I also disagree with your other point. That you can use a religious prejudice against a population. That violates, in my eyes, the establishment clause.

It ain't just the south, either. My local newspaper always prints some pretty scary letters. One just came out quoting all the usual Leviticus verses and advocating "the gays" be expelled.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    It ain't just the south, either. My local newspaper always prints some pretty scary letters. One just came out quoting all the usual Leviticus verses and advocating "the gays" be expelled.
    When ever someone tries to use Leviticus to justify their bigotry, I find it useful to point them to this letter:

http://elainemiller.com/presents/drlaura.html

It shows just how much people like to cherry pick their beliefs from the bible.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cool. I wanted to find that letter the other day (while slacking), but the reference I had was The Onion-which my employer's firewalk keeps out.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    When ever someone tries to use Leviticus to justify their bigotry, I find it useful to point them to this letter:

http://elainemiller.com/presents/drlaura.html

It shows just how much people like to cherry pick their beliefs from the bible.
    OH. MY. GOD! Thanks. lol.

Michele: who cynically tells a lot of folks that "I am a spiritual woman, therefore church is no place for the likes of me." B-) o

Registered
    Mar 2002
    FYI this letter is a Hoax http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=182285

Please also look on the snops page

I personaly dont take the time to pay heed or respond to narrow minded screw ups that feel the need to push their views on life on me. Who I love, man or woman has zero impact on their sad little lives.

Let em spout all the crap they want-I go on living and loveing regardless.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Ah, but you are totally wrong, boiker. For generations, Southerners (and South Africans) in particular used a particular interpretation of the Bible to justify racism. After all, aren't persons of African descent the "Sons of Ham" and meant ot be "hewers of wood."

I also disagree with your other point. That you can use a religious prejudice against a population. That violates, in my eyes, the establishment clause.

thanks for the corrections. I expected to be wrong anyway
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

...and people in the South wonder why the rest of the country thinks they are a bunch of ignorant backwater hicks. Way to perpetuate the stereotype.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The seventh-grader said she doesn't want homosexuals in the community. "It's not a Christian thing," said Kinney, identifying herself as a Baptist.

"I've never seen nothing like this," Fritts said at the historic courthouse where a jury 79 years ago convicted John Scopes for teaching evolution.

I just love it when 11 year olds think they have the cognitive power to bend the bible to thier own half baked thoughts. What would you expect out of this group of human phesies? It makes perfect sense to me that this is where the Scopes trial would have happened (shakes head in disgust).

I theorize that these people are the ultimate reason that most of Europe has become so secular. With thier past history of ctholic/protestant religious violence, they learned where following a rigid spiritual path as a whole leads.

I just love the seventh grade girl, she doesn't even realize that her religion would keep her barefoot, pregnant and ignorant if it could. amazing.......
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I theorize that these people are the ultimate reason that most of Europe has become so secular. With thier past history of ctholic/protestant religious violence, they learned where following a rigid spiritual path as a whole leads.
    I think it's just the opposite. Europe has become so secular because so many of its religious fundamentalists/zealots (at least the Catholic and Protestant ones) left there to worship freely in the good ol' US of A.

BTW, this post puts me in the half-clube.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The National Geographic, as part of their Zip Code USA series, actually profiled Dayton County, Tennessee.

I was very impolitic at a party this weekend when I vocalized my skepticism about Tennessee to a couple who were convinced it was their perfect Mayberry and they were planning to move there posthaste. (Although, Johnson City/Kingstport/Bristol are very beautiful.)

But again, we should avoid the bash-the-south tendency. Bigotry-on all sides, as secular folks can be as bigoted toward the religious-is not just southern. And, as Exhibit A in the People's Court, I need only turn to my local newpapers' letters to the editor.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    sigh...

how dumb-a@@ can people be. I have a sister who lives in Tennessee.... and she wanted me to come down there to live. I went, I saw, .. no way. I love New England/New York too much....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    ...and people in the South wonder why the rest of the country thinks they are a bunch of ignorant backwater hicks. Way to perpetuate the stereotype.
    I'm picking up on BKM's point -- it's way too simplistic to blame the South as the only part of this nation to express its bigotry in any way. There is not one square inch of America that has been a bigotry-free zone, ever. Not everyone in America is a bigot. But the bigots are everywhere in America.

Vigilante militiamen readying for the coming "race war" in Michigan? Check.
    Neo-Nazis in Idaho and Montana? Check.
    Upper-middle class residents throughout the Southwest bashing Hispanics for coming here, but ready to (cheaply) employ them as domestic help, landscapers and migrant farmers? Check.

What distinguishes the South's form of bigotry over the years is that it was sanctioned by local laws -- just as these people in Tennessee tried to do (OK, so old habits die hard). Other parts of the nation just resorted to extra-legal or outright illegal methods to dominate -- redlining and restricted deed covenants come to mind.

I completely agree Pete-Rock. Bigotry is everywhere. I just made the comment that they are perpetuating the stereotypical southerner image as some over-religious bigoted, hateful hicks. I live in Wisconsin and I guarantee that there are many people that feel the same way as the people in this County. Same with racism, which can be found everywhere. Not a month goes by where I don’t get a phone call from someone opposing a project or complaining about a business and they make some off-handed racist comment, usually disguised by the terms “people from the inner city,” “the wrong element,” or “those people.”
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    Parts of the nation just resorted to extra-legal or outright illegal methods to dominate -- redlining and restricted deed covenants come to mind.
    Both now illegal, I might add.

[RANT]What is not illegal is minimum lot size zoning requirements in the 1 acre and above range, allegedly to "maintain the bucolic character" or some such hoo-haw. The only character that they want to protect is the lily white skins of all those smiling faces. How do we, as planners, tolerate and enable this without thinking of the Federal Fair Housing Act?[/RANT]
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My personal experience is that most rural locales, Southern or otherwise, tend to be hotbeds of ignorance and intolerance. My brother was harrassed in our rural upstate ny high school on a weekly basis on just the perception that he was gay (he hadn't yet outed even to himself yet).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia

That's got to be it. Lots of European countries underwent a more or less constant state of religious warfare following the reformation right up into the late 17th/early 18th century. Putting this into historical context you understand why the founding fathers of the US were so eager to form a secular society (and they were - says so on the back of a one dollar bill). Lots of American colonists were immigrants or 1st or 2nd generation and the whole religious war thing was fresh in their minds. We Americans seem to have forgotten (perhaps willfully) much about the origins of our nation.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle

[It shows just how much people like to cherry pick their beliefs from the bible.
    Loved that letter. I've long believed that the Bible is not the word of God, but rather man's word about God. A lot of the "do not"s in the Bible seem to be self-serving.

If the Bible was truly the word of God one of the 10 Commandments would surely have been a prohibition of slavery, which is much worse than bearing false witness or stealing. Why was there no prohibition of slavery? Because man and not God wanted slaves. Why does the Bible support an inferior status for women? Because man (men) and not God wanted women under control.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im reading the Jewish version of the bible-subtle diffrences that I like much better a a woman

Never mind 613 comandments!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Im reading the Jewish version of the bible-subtle diffrences that I like much better a a woman

Never mind 613 comandments!
    The Old Testament is part of the Jewish Torah, along with much of the Christian Denominations is based on Jewish Teachings. (Such as the last supper, was that pass over meal and such)

As for the rest of the post, I am going to refrain from commenting. I will say that I do not oppose gays from residing in any location they choose… and I am going to leave it at there.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, in defense of the authors of the Bible, slavery probably had a different connotation than our semi-industrialized plantation slave system.

Not that I am defending the institution. But, like everything else in the Bible, context is key.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I was raised in the church...my dad is actually a pastor in the Presbyterian Church...and I have, over the years realized how much the Bible is just man's interpretation of what he thinks God wishes. (And usually a bad one at that). Even the ten commandments...if you look back and translate the original Hebrew, you get the commandment about adultery meaning this: You should not commit adultery with another man's wife because you would be sinning against this man. Forget sinning against God or even sinning against your own wife...ya know, cause women dont matter..... B-)

Anyway, I think that that is the major problem with southern US Christianity is the literal interpretation of the Bible (well, and the literallness taken with anything that leads to ignorance in politics, etc.) I have a friend who is a grad student in electrical engineering and thinks that the world is only 5,000 years old because thats what the old testament says!

So I've been really turned off lately by the people around me and what they believe and how close minded they are. Ive really started opening my eyes and doubting alot of what some dudes back a few thousand years wrote down and ended up calling the Bible.

Its kinda ironic cause I used to believe that homosexuality was a sin just because so many "Christians" say it is. In the last few years I realized that it wasnt and then two weeks ago my dad told me that he was gay.

Life throws some curveballs sometimes....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 35
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 5:42 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 7:13 PM
  3. Saddam: Alive or Dead?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Apr 2003, 3:00 PM
  4. Habitat which is 'alive'