Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Spring Break

Spring Break

It is "Spring Break" week here and all the local schools are closed, many staff people have left for warmer climes, others are putzing around the house. It is, in a sense, a sacrosanct holiday for many as no one would think of scheduling meetings this week.

Some of us, alas, are working / slacking

So, Cyburbia, do you have "spring break"? Discuss.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Spring Break for me will happen twice....once at APA in DC, the second in May at the NH Planners Assn spring conference at Waterville Valley (I organize the golf tournament. )
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2003
    No. It is already 90F+ here in Phoenix. Many people do take off for a spring training game or two though.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Spring break was back in February, when Mrs. Tranplanner and I headed down to the Dominican Republic for a week. Last week was Spring Break for the schoolkids.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    It is "Spring Break" week here and all the local schools are closed, many staff people have left for warmer climes, others are putzing around the house. It is, in a sense, a sacrosanct holiday for many as no one would think of scheduling meetings this week.

Some of us, alas, are working / slacking
    Same here except;
    No Children = No Spring Break.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Last week there were some parents missing from the office during the public schools' break. My kid's school won't have spring break for another 2 weeks, but they offer "day care" instead of classes that week, so I'll keep on working and save my vacation for summer.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is a college town. The local schools schedule their breaks to coincide with the college. No one has any meetings. I like it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    No break, we only meet once a month and I'm almost broke so I can't take off time from work. Its crunch time
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Last week was Spring Break for the schoolkids.
    I was going to ask if last week was Spring Break in Canuckistan. I was driving south on I-79 a couple of weekends back and it seemed that every tenth vehicle on the road was either a minivan or motor home with Ontario plates. Does the entire province empty out to Myrtle Beach during the second week of March?

I never really got to do the Spring Break thing. During high school it was often during the week after Easter and my college's Spring Break was the last week of February - way too early to do things with people from other schools.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I never had the cash to spring break in college. Money, while I was in college, was worth more than a road trip to the gulf coast.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Definitely alive and kickin here in south FL. (Even though Cancun seems to be the hot spot anymore...I think because the kids can drink legally even if they are under 21.) Apparently the County has discouraged a lot of "spring break" behavior on the beaches here, so I think students are headed more for Daytona Beach & Panama City. However, I have already seen news stories where kids are falling off hotel balconies, etc.

My favorite spring break was in Jamaica. How about yours?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I chose to join the spring breakers last weekend in New Orleans . My friend and I had a good time hanging out with the partying people down there. Then he had too much to drink , and I had to drag him back to the car so we could go home .

Last year, my birthday fell on Spring Break, so I had to do something . I called my best friend, and we met at his familyís place in Florida. We had a great time. Universal Studios, and Island of Adventure were a great experience. So was snorkeling off the coast of Key West. I canít wait to go back.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    What is this Spring Break of which you speak? Working here, no breaks, no kids, longer lines at Blockbuster. Sigh. Maybe I should have a kid so I'd have an excuse for a vacation...
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No spring break here, yet.

I'll be taking a few days off sometime within the next 2.5 weeks, though, when offspring #2 decides to make his/her presence known.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    WMU spring break was two weeks ago, and the public schools are here in a few weeks.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    What is this Spring Break of which you speak? Working here, no breaks, no kids, longer lines at Blockbuster. Sigh. Maybe I should have a kid so I'd have an excuse for a vacation...
    Take from me, on behalf of all those who have kids: you ARE on vaction, every day.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Take from me, on behalf of all those who have kids: you ARE on vacation, every day.
    Hear, hear, MZ. As the father of 2, I know no one could have said it better.

Around these parts, it makes no difference whether you have or have not. Spring break is a rite, with the right to take time away from the office (as well as the school).
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Last week was our spring break. I'm desperately trying to finish school and get a real job, so i spent the time pounding out my NINETY EIGHT PAGE thesis. I actually had to scale the walls and climb into the department computer lab through the second story bathroom window on both weekends, since the entire school was shut down saturdays and sundays. Four days is valuable time, though, so I figured I was breaking in or it simply wasn't getting done.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    spring break??? only mud season here.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Spring Break! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21