Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ADVICE REQUESTED! [Masters in Urban Planning]

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Hi guys,

I am currently trying to decide between a full ride at UNC and Berkeley with in state tuition ($6,000 or so). I have read elsewhere in this forum that some have said for urban planning it doesn't really matter where you go, you should simply choose the cheapest school, but the cost difference between these schools isn't enough for me to necessarily choose UNC solely based on that, although it is definitely a factor. I am not entirely sure what I want to focus on, I am interested in Community Development but I want a program that will give me a broad overview and allow me to explore different areas of the field. If anyone has any input on the relative advantages and strengths of these programs, it would be greatly appreciated!!! I have 9 days to make a decision and right now I really don't know what I am going to do.
    Last edited by PaF; 06 Apr 2004 at 3:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PaF
    Hi guys,

I am currently trying to decide between a full ride at UNC and Berkeley with in state tuition ($6,000 or so). I have read elsewhere in this forum that some have said for urban planning it doesn't really matter where you go, you should simply choose the cheapest school, but the cost difference between these schools isn't enough for me to necessarily choose UNC solely based on that, although it is definitely a factor. I am not entirely sure what I want to focus on, I am interested in Community Development but I want a program that will give me a broad overview and allow me to explore different areas of the field. If anyone has any input on the relative advantages and strengths of these programs, it would be greatly appreciated!!! I have 9 days to make a decision and right now I really don't know what I am going to do.
    I'm taking the UNC full ride . Apparently, the program got a new department head a few years ago, and they've added new professors. From what I've heard, the department is really dedicated to its students, and there's a community feeling within the program. After I was accepted (and even BEFORE I was accepted) I was contacted by numerous professors and students who answered my questions right away...that shows a commitment to the program. Community development is a pretty broad based interest, and you may need to narrow your focus to determine which program is right for you. Also, where do you eventually intend to work? You'll learn more about community revitalization at an east coast school and more about growth management at a west coast school.

Berkeley's got the "name", but UNC is an up and comer. I think it's much more exciting to attend the more cutting-edge school. I did my undergrad at a "name" and the professors could have cared less about us. Plus, if you're interested in bike/ped planning or planning for active communities, UNC is the hotbed. Gees, I'm the #1 cheerleader, and all I've done is send in a deposit.

And, as for Berkeley costs...you may be paying in-state, but the RENT is ridiculous!!!

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    UNC focuses more on the policy aspects of planning if you're into that. Its planning program is the first that grew out of the social sciences (in the 40s) as opposed to architecture. Many other planning schools have since followed UNC's lead in that direction. If you're more interested in the spatial aspects of planning, Berkeley would be the better choice.
    Last edited by rmulrew; 06 Apr 2004 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Jul 2010, 11:05 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 9:28 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 May 2008, 2:30 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 02 Mar 2005, 10:22 PM