Urban planning community

Poll results: Where do Cyburbanites get their news?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Network News Broadcasts

3 7.89%
  • Cable News

0 0%
  • Internet

16 42.11%
  • Newspaper

9 23.68%
  • Daily Show/SNL

3 7.89%
  • Other

7 18.42%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Jon Stewart

Registered
    Oct 2000

Thank you, Jon Stewart

I don't know if you guys saw this , but I was a little shamefaced to realize The Daily Show is my second source of news, after the morning paper. But Damn, I love Rob Cordery!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Total news junkie here! I watch it on TV while getting ready for work, log onto cnn.com (and other sites) during the day, and read my newspaper (Sun Sentinal) at night when I get home. :-}

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I get my news from NPR during the morning and evening commutes.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You left out NPR/ BBC, which I'd suspect many of the "Other" votes go for. That's my primary source of balanced, fair coverage.

Though I do watch FOX News when I can, just for a good laugh

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Another news junkie, I watch local news and then the Today Show while getting ready and another local news station before bed.

The only thing I do not like about local news is they report on the most idiotic things, like stupid parents "only losing track of their one year old for 10 minutes to find them drowning" (we have a very high number of drownings every year but parents still don't make sure their kids are safe around water) or a woman who decided it would be cheaper to rent a smaller car than pay for gas in her SUV- ever heard of trading your SUV in for a smaller car? Yeah, that was a brilliant idea.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I love watching the news and listening to it on the radio (NPR) as well. I usually like to get my dose of the Today Show as I am getting ready and then I must watch Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw in the evening (they are on back to back here). I also like to go to the Washington Post website. The weather is the only local news I really look for on the local news.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I go straight to Drudge for my news.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I like the daily show, but I can't understand how it could be so funny to someone who didn't know the actual news story.

The Papers
    San Diego Union
    LA Times Sunday Edition

Internet
    New york Times
    Washington Post
    Washington times

Television
    CSPAN
    CSPAN2
    No network loyalty but I watch occasionally, the nightly network news or cable debate show.

Radio
    NPR sometimes but rarely.

Magazines
    Newsweek occasionally

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mostly newspapers and commie blogs .

Newspapers:

San Francisco Chronicle (bleh-but good comics and regional coverage)
    Vacaville Reporter (ok, for local news)
    Fairfield Daily Republic (awful, but again for local news)
    New York Times (expensive, but still interesting newspaper)
    Wall Street Journal (a great newspaper if you ignore the Opinion page)

I don't read every one of these papers every day

Blogs:

Daily KOS
    This Modern World
    Ted Rall (absolutely over the top-the American Spectator of the left, but entertaining)
    Tom Paine.com

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I love the Daily Show. I watch the NBC Evening News most days and check the news on the internet. The Daily Show is my favorite news source. Occasionaly the interview in the middle of the show is much better than anything you hear from the networks. Stewart and his cohorts make the show great. So much better than when lame-ass Craig Kilborn was on the show.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Newspapers, the local Fox afiliate, and CNN when I can watch Rudi Bahktiar.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm a big fan of the Daily Show and try to watch it every night before going to bed. John Stewart is doing a show here in Pittsburgh in April that, as I was informed yesterday, I will not be able to attened because of a wedding shower. When I asked why would I need to be there the reply was, "To carry things home of course" Doh... :-P

Most of my news info comes from the internet these days. During the day I'll check BBC news, Cnn.com, as well as the hometown and and the regional papers from back home in SC... all online.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I will not be able to attened because of a wedding shower. When I asked why would I need to be there the reply was, "To carry things home of course" Doh... :-P
    I feel your pain, I'm being dragged to a baby shower. When I said, guys don't go to a baby shower, she told me the guys would be hanging out together. What BS. I think I might just disapear one of these days.

OT: internet, paper and local tv, and the Simpsons
    Last edited by Rumpy Tunanator; 02 Mar 2004 at 4:22 PM.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My preferred news sources:

Democracy Now! on Free Speech TV (station 9415 on the Dish Network satellite). If you haven't ever tuned into FSTV, do yourself a favor & check it out - nothing else like it on the tube (except maybe Word Link TV (Ch. 9410)).

The Daily Show is undoubtedly one the most informative (and freakin' hilarious) news programs on the air.

my local daily newspaper

NPR & Oregon Pub Broadcasting

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    I feel your pain, I'm being dragged to a baby shower. When I said, guys don't go to a baby shower, she told me the guys would be hanging out together. What BS. I think I might just disapear one of these days.
    Off-topic:
    Wow, that's pretty harsh. At very least I'm getting things out of this shower (If you count china and housewares as getting things you want . ), and I suppose I should be there to thank people. Perhaps I'm being an unenlightened male pig here but why would a guy go to a baby shower unless it was for his kid... this isn't for Lil' Rumpy now is it? I mean, would the girls even want him there?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Off-topic:
    Perhaps I'm being an unenlightened male pig here but why would a guy go to a baby shower unless it was for his kid... this isn't for Lil' Rumpy now is it? I mean, would the girls even want him there?
    Nooooooo way, no lil' rumpster . The guys aren't going to the shower, we'll probally get stuck in some hotel lobby or dungeon. There goes the weekend.....
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Maybe the guys could get together and hire a stripper. Isn't that what goes on at showers? Think of it. Not only do you get to enjoy the shower, but you will never be invited to another one.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    WOW... I read the first post, and then I skiped to the last one... what do strippers have to do with the news, or John Stwart, oh wait.. never mind.

I have free (aka limmited) cable that is included in with my cable for rent... I get the following channels. (I would also like to mention that I love what I do get)
    CBS
    ABC
    NBC
    FOX
    USA
    TBS
    ESPN
    CNN
    PBS
    HBO
    CNN
    WGN (out of Chicago)

I call it my hotel cable plan.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Combination of the following
    Newspaper - local paper & Louisville Courier-Journal, Sunday NY Times
    Radio - NPR in car & at home
    TV - local and network
    Internet - use http://newslink.org/
    access to almost every newspaper & tv station ever.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mostly NPR, some newspaper and some TV. Lots of lefty magazines though too(but they are awefully biased, imagine that!)
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I get my news from NPR, the local news channels, and various newspapers that I enjoy browsing online.

I am a HUGE fan of the Daily Show. My husband and I like to watch it during dinner (the previous night's show is on Comedy Central at 7 pm). Jon Stewart has some interesting guests, not just the usual celebrities hawking their latest movie. Did you see when he interviewed Howard Dean? That was hilarious!!! And I love Stephen Colbert.

Jon Stewart is also a great antidote to the NBC Nightly News - known in my household as the Nightly Terror Report.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    NPR, nytimes.com, and the local paper for weather and local issues, and guardian.co.uk to help balance everything else out
    I don't dream. I plan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Used to be the internet, but now only national TV news, since internet access has become quite limited for me...

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm also a big Jon Stewart fan. I think it's my favorite cable show. In his own words, he's the top fake newsman.

I'm also in the NYTimes, Washington Post and NPR crowd. I do watch CNN a lot and even Fox News (to hear how the enemy thinks).

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Can I beat Jon Stewart?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2006, 10:27 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Oct 2005, 11:59 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Mar 2004, 1:16 PM
  4. Replies: 27