Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scaredy-cat planners, slacker planners

ifyouknowmypeeveyoumayknowme

Scaredy-cat planners, slacker planners

I don't care if anyone responds, I have just got to vent!

I work for a city of almost 60,000 pop. with an extremely small staff-- two full-time planners. Now that's tricky enough, but the planner junior to me is a "weaselweenie" (from a Nickalodeon cartoon, but it fits). I mean he's always trying to slip out of doing even the very basics of his job (like checking addresses for new sfds!)and he uses grasping logic to push projects on to me (as I am the only other planner). The other half of his personality is very afraid, has no confidence in his own view (more acurately, has no viewpoint of his own) so he's always running to the director for backup and always harping on "that's not how so-and-so did it" (which is usually ancient history). There may be an opportunity in a few years to be the director of the C.D. dept. here, but they couldn't pay me enough to be this guy's boss and to save his can every time he makes mistakes (which are so often, aggravatingly, the same mistakes over and over again). Any advice anyone? Sure, I may need to be more assertive or such. But this guy is so recalcitrant, defensive, and, if you knew what I know, dense, that there's little point in being either tactful or blunt!. Maybe some other approach someone might suggest?

(Actually, I must say I get my "advice" from the job openings posted!)

Hey! I think I used to work with this guy. Is his name--well, never mind.
    Anyway, only the supervisor can solve this problem. He can approach the weasel, tell him that his performance is not up to par, and then explain exactly what he must do to improve his performance. If it doesn't happen, the supervisor can make it plain that he will not be getting a satisfactory performance evaluation, and maybe it is time to start looking for another position. (That's how we got this guy out of our department--and into yours.)

But there is really nothing that coworkers can do, except to refuse to be dumped on. If you do somebody else's work, your reward is to get more of their work. Good luck.

Don't be tactful or blunt. Be frank, fair, firm, & friendly when dealing with this person. Do not argue with him, do not take any crap off him. He acts the way he does because he has been allowed to get away with it. Just smile & lower your voice a tone when you tell him, "I will be happy to help you with your project as soon as I can, it may take a day or two, so don't wait on me." Period.

Actions speak louder than words. Your boss knows.

No matter where you go or what you do, there will always be at least one weaselweenie to annoy you. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I love these blasts from the past. Just don't dig up some of my posts regarding "parking light glare" in McKinney, Texas. I basically accused everyone involved of being micromanaging beaurucrats who should start looking at the real issues. As I recall, I was in a good mood that day.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Posted by Todd K. on March 20, 2000 at 19:36:39:
    From host 164.58.20.138 using client Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.0; Windows 95))
    Hey! I actually KNOW this Todd K! These re-posts are great...thanks for sharing.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Posted by Planzilla on March 14, 2000 at 08:02:27:
    From host 165.83.96.118 using client Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows NT; DigExt))
    Must be the same guy who is now my boss. Thanks a lot; I appreciate it.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planners reporting other planners
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 May 2012, 1:18 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 AM
  3. Replies: 0