Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plans for the holiday weekend?

Registered
    Mar 2002

Plans for the holiday weekend?

Ok just curious as to who will be doing the highway or beach thing this weekend. Big plans? Or perhaps mowing the lawn with a beer?

Danielle
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am heading to your neck of the woods, Naval Acadamy graduation complete with the Blue Angels and a few days on the Bay, can't wait.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Headache coming.....

My bachelor party is Saturday....recovery on Sunday and Monday. :buck
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

Duff

BEERBEER

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Monday hit the Symphony concert on the mall, they are fantastic. Pack a bottle of wine and some dinner and enjoy. but dont bring any metal-security is hell now.

Ill be sailing down Annapolis way myself f and hitting a fetish party in the city for my birthday

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What are you talking about - the long weekend was last weekend. Victoria Day, don't you know...

:p

I wasn't a happy camper - the Roman Catholic church screwed my long weekend by making it the date for my "marriage classes". I think it was a test.

Other than seeing the new Star Wars flick, and having a great dinner with some friends, it wasn't much of a weekend.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Get caught up on e-mail. Transfer more links from the old Resource Directory database to the new Resource Directory. Level the rest of the soil in the back yard, and plant centipede grass seed. Spend a lot of time with Bailey at the dog park on Monday. Fly the flag and offer a prayer of thanks.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Spending the weekend with my favorite veteran - my dad. Headed home to the backwater to eat beef on weck and let the dogs run in the alfalfa field by my parents house.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Golf....Golf.....Golf!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hey Dan can you take my hounds to the park too?

Ive yet to check out the dog parks here, bad puppy parent.

D

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well I for the first time in several years will not be a biker widow this weekend. The scheme to turn my old 650 into a track bike has been sidelined and the trip to Mosport is off.

However the SO has managed to finagle himself and his VW into the Alfa Romeo Club event at Grattan on Monday. What will I do? Turn the compost heap, plant annuals, KILL wasps with my barehands ( I really do), watch the kids turn blue from playing in the lake, read Lonesome Dove and drink Oberon.

Re: Plans for the holiday weekend?

PlannerGirl wrote:
    Ok just curious as to who will be doing the highway or beach thing this weekend. Big plans? Or perhaps mowing the lawn with a beer?

Danielle
    Well I live in an apartment, so I can't mow the grass with a beer, but I have been thinking of vacuuming with one.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001

The best laid plans

Famila Guapo will enjoy the cooking of meat over fire, frothy suds, a tune up and some minor body work on the Volvo. Perhaps a movie will be taken in. House plants may be repotted. I may even clean my guns on the front porch if the weather holds while I sip a beer and BBQ.

Mrs. Guapo will no doubt find some form of sale at a retail store here in town.

Guapo Jr. will ride his bike and help clean the arsenal.

Guapo's hound will do those things that look disgusting to most observers.

All in all a little slice of redneck heaven.

Registered
    Jan 2002

Plans

A few friends and I took an overnight trip to Catawba and the other islands in western Lake Erie. Yes, Ohio does have islands!

There's this city out there called 'Lakeside', which is a tourist community that you have to pay like $10 to get into. It's a gated walking town, and intends to be more of a private place than it is public. People were walking and biking all over the city, talking with neighbors, and just hanging out all over. Ironically, once you leave the gates, you won't see a human being outside of a car for miles.

Thousands and thousands of people flee to this place annually, because they enjoy the sense of community and the atmosphere of a walking town. When we went, I felt kind of disgusted that we have to build places like this (and Disney) for vacationing. I guess people never think about making one of these communities into their hometowns.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Out community has a Memorial Day Parade. We live along the parade route, near the cemetary where it ends. We invite friends here to watch. The weekend was spent preparing the yard and food for the guests.

Apart from the few politicians who pretend to be somber and respectful inthe name of getting votes, it's a sincere event.

Of course, this side of the pond we didn't have the holiday weekend. But we get one this weekend as it's the Golden Jubilee celebrations. Which means that not only do I get both Friday and Monday off but also that the good Queen Bess mark II has been head of state for 50 years. This fits in nicely with my philosophy of special occasions (any excuse to party is a good excuse), but I can't tell you whether she's done a good job or not because:
    • I haven't experienced the 'rule' of another head of state so I can't compare
    • I didn't realise she was actually doing anything (with respect to running the country) that involved work
    • I have no complaints (although presumably that's a sign of a job well done)
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Sigh. I feel like I was spinning my wheels; that I didn't get anything done. I got a lot done, in fact -- it's just that I didn't have much fun.

I replaced the diatomaceous earth in the pool filter. My pool water, however, is now a milky white, and I have to wait a few days until the fresh DE circulates through the system a few times, and coats the filter grid. I hope.

I finished installing the landscape lighting in the back yard. Small metal "bollards" around the patio and pool. Looks great.

Yesterday I went to Lowe's with the intention of buying a new garden hose, and spent $220 on God knows what. "Oh, halogen light bulbs -- I can use them where I have dimmers, and there'll be no buzz." $40 gone. I bought a heavy duty 35m rubber hose ($30) and a nice wind-it-up box thingy ($40). Pool chemicals. Pegboard holder thingies, for all the tools I've been buying. In-ground sprinkler heads. Other things that escape my memory, but that I absolutely, positively needed. 'Tis the cost of living in a North American suburb.

I tore out my hair on Friday night and Saturday, moving Cyburbia to a new server. (It made the trip with all the other sites hosted by Urban Insight.) The move wasn't bad -- it was getting the database up and running. I'm not looking forward to using Plesk server, but I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth -- pages generated on the fly do so a bit quicker, so in that regard I'm happy. I also spent a chunk of time with a navigation scheme redesign.

Got a hair cut yesterday.

Took Bailey to the dog park on Sunday. I also spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning out and medicating her ears. Yeast infection. I went through about 100 Q-Tips so far, poor thing. You could park a car in a Portuguese Water Dog's ear canal. At least her ears smell nice now.

Set out the new flag on Monday. I think I'll keep it up for a while.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol Dan are you "nesting"

But i totaly relate about doggie ears, one of mine, Oreo always has a yeast infection in one or both of his ears. Does not help his brother the brainless beagle cant keep his toung out of his ears. YUCK!

Sounds like a nice-family oriented weekend

Danie

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What are your plans for the weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 940
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 9:31 PM
  2. plans this holiday weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 16 Jun 2005, 4:12 PM
  3. Holiday Weekend!! What you doin?
    Friday Afternoon Club