Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 88 cents a song....

Registered
    Oct 2003

88 cents a song....

I know that Wal-Mart is extremely unpopular here, but internet users love illegal or cheap music......Now that the world's largest retailer is selling music online, will you buy?

I haven't purchased a single song online.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Guess I am just too old-school, as the kids say these days. I've never downloaded songs and probably never will. Mostly it is because I am not that tech-saavy. Also I see it as wrong to violate a copyright, which so many downloaders are doing. If you pay for the downloaded song, that is fine, but if you don't, then you are violating the law. Sure, the artists and the record companies are making big money and downloaders argue who is it hurting if I download a couple songs? That is a specious argument. It is illegal. End of story.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    I know that Wal-Mart is extremely unpopular here, but internet users love illegal or cheap music......Now that the world's largest retailer is selling music online, will you buy?

I haven't purchased a single song online.
    Wal*Mart's music downloads are about the worst of the lot, just check their TOS legalisms. Besides, my iPod doesn't know what to do with .wma files anyway.

I'll start buying files online when they are:

-reasonably priced (5-10˘/Mb is about the limit that I'll pay, depending on popularity);

-in a format that I want ('unrestricted' 128 Kbs .mp3 files ONLY for me, thank you); and

-available in a consolidated catalog (many of the most downloaded song files are out-of-print ones that are unavailable from any other source).

All of this current controversy could have been avoided had the labels played ball with the original Napster when Napster approached them in the late 1990s with a reasonable licensing proposal. Instead (as is usual for the entertainment industry in the face of new technologies), they sued them into oblivion , only driving the on-line file biz deeper underground.

Mike.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm very rarely interested in "singles" anyway. I seem to like concept albums or songs that fit into an overall album. Plus, I doubt that WalMart will carry very much beyond Faith Hill pablum.

Plus, I have an ancient computer with no speakers and a slow dial-up connection.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    [rant] I just saw a commercial for the music industry to try to get people to stop downloading illegal music. They talked about how when we buy CD’s it pays the salaries of all these people, and helps to send there kids to school, and little Timmy wants a power rangers lunch box and if we do not buy the new Britny CD, he might have to brown bag his lunch. And it made me think…. I will buy CD’s again when Justin Timberlake or Puffy can no longer afford a new Bentley sittin’ on Dubs with spinners, and DVD players in the head rests, or multiple, multimillion dollar houses… If little Timmy asked one of them for a power rangers lunch box, they would smack the kid upside the head and ask, “What’s wrong with you boy??? Get real”

ALSO... did people get in trouble for "taping" songs off the radio? The stations buy the songs, and use advertising to pay for them. Someone buys the CD, rips it, and gives it to the world on line. No one but the music industry makes any money (other than office max for the blank CD's)… SAME FREAKIN THING!!!

Why should people pay for CD’s and music in general when these people make more in a single day, for two hours work, than most of us make in a year, plus overtime? I am not opposed to being rich, but I am opposed to taking advantage of people…

DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BASEBALL PLAYERS… MANY OF THEM CAN KISS MY A**
    [\rant]
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The GIS Song!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 9:11 AM
  2. Ten cents for condiments? WTF?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 2:16 PM
  3. Best. Song. Ever.
    Friday Afternoon Club