Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the Island

Registered
    May 2003

Guess the Island

This land mass is within the borders of the United States of America. Name it, the state wherein it is located, and the body of water surrounding it. Have fun!

SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I know all three parts of the answer.
    I will wait for more guesses.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tom Sawyer's Island - Mississippi River - Missouri

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    South Bass - Ohio - Lake Erie
    I didn't start this thread but I know we are right.

Great website: http://www.photography-plus.com/index.html
    click on harbors
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Interesting, it doesn't look like a particularly big island but it looks like there might be some farming going on in the foreground.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    SAC and JNA got it right. South Bass is the home of Put-in-Bay and the Commodore Perry Memorial (you can see it in the photo, right on the narrow isthmus in the middle of the island), and was the scene of a famous naval battle during the War of 1812.

JNA is right, I grabbed the photo from the Photography Plus website, which has some great aerial perspectives of harbors all around the Great Lakes. I guess that means I won't be able to use their great picture of Muskegon for a GTC.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Some info about "The Bay".....

If you look at the top of the monument in the picture you will see a wide area with no trees. That's the street with all the bars, including Frosty's, The Roundhouse, Beer Barrel, and others.

The police in Put-In-Bay (the village on South Bass Island) frown on women flashing (my friend Thelma was arrested), men or women urinating in the park (across the street from the bars) (my ex-brother-in-law was arrested), and they will also arrest you if you try to sleep in the park after 1:00 AM.

The Jet Ferry from Port Clinton (on the mainland) will run until about 3:00 AM on weekends, getting people without rooms off the island.

I was there one (1) weekend and they cleared all of us out of The Roundhouse. We joked around, saying, "Did somebody drink too much and die?" Unfortunately for that somebody, he did and he did. (Sounds of sirens.....)

I sold my big lake boat a few years ago. When I did have it, though, regular trips to "The Bay" were part of every summer. Most people dock by rafting-off each other, sometimes six (6) or seven (7) boats deep....on the municipal docks. We always stayed at a lesser-known and quieter set of docks known as "The State Docks". (Look to the right of the monument and a little up.....the state docks are on the other side of that island, which has a branch of Ohio State University on it, for studying marine life, etc.)

At the top of the picture you see the airport. There is a bar adjacent to the airport. Last year a drunk college kid stole an airplane and crashed it on the runway.

To the right of the airport, on the lake, is the state park. Many folks camp there, but Ohio's laws do not allow alcohol, so everybody rides a bike to town to drink. The state park has some huge cliffs, without any type of safety barriers. Every once in a while somebody falls off the cliffs and either dies or ends up hurt pretty bad.

There are no real good beaches on the island.....too rocky and too weedy. All along the lake shore there are a protected species water snake. If you are in the water they will swim right up to you and check you out. Kind of creepy.

The front end (bow) of a Great Lakes freighter was cut off and hauled up and placed on one (1) of the cliff-sides, serving as the front room of a house that was built attached to it. You can see it from the Jet Ferry.

The Beer Barrel has the longest bar in the world. Most of these places have web sites, so you can get a feel for the place.

The crowd age is young to forties. As boaters get into their fifties, many gravitate to another island east of South Bass......known as Kelly's Island. Bars there, too, but a quieter pace.

Every year a bunch of people I work with make our "Annual Trip To The Bay". Because of health reasons I did not make it last year.....but I hope to this year.

Nastrovia!

Bear

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Guess The Island No. 12
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 8:38 PM
  2. Guess the Island #7
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Dec 2006, 11:52 AM