Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Stone Magazine's list of Immortals

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Rocking Stone Magazine's list of Immortals

Rolling Stone Magazine: http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2846

The Immortals
    The fifty greatest rock & roll artists of all time

1. The Beatles
    50. The Band
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    It's ridiculous that "The Byrds" are on there and Black Sabbath isn't. WTF

And another thing, I thought that everyone in the world knew that Bruce Stringsteen is overated.

And another thing, Sly and Family Stone were a good progressive group, but IMMORTAL.

I'm in love with the ghost of Janice.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Rolling Stone has to come out with these lists once in a while to remind everyone that they were a credible magazine 35 years ago. Next month they'll be back to Clay Aiken photo shoots, and giving 4 1/2 stars to Jessica Simpson albums.

I agree that Bruce Springsteen, aka The Boss, aka Lord God of All That is Good and American, is very over-rated.

While I don't disagree with the pepole on the list - it is kind of dull. There are no shockers in there and anyone could have come up with a similar list. The ommission of the Ramones is a crime!

I agree with Seabishop, Rolling Stone sucks! They actually have some good non-music witing, but I refuse to buy any magazine that has Christina, Justin, or Britney on the cover. It has been years since that magazine was relevant and fans of most of the bands/artists on this Top 50 list probably haven't read a RS in years.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Rolling Stone occasionally has redeeming articles. Like an interview with Thom York...awesome. Radiohead rocks.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    The ommission of the Ramones is a crime!
    26) The Ramones

100 post before I am in the Clube.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't claim to be a real hip-hop fanatic by any means, but after 25+ years of rap, the only ones on the list are Run-DMC and Public Enemy?

If there was ever anyone who was the conflicted conscience of hip-hop, it was Tupac. And I would also include NWA, for (rightly or wrongly) amping up the anti-authoritarian theme that rock lost and has tried so hard to reclaim.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How can they put Michael Jackson in that list? He won't be immortal once he gets to Chino.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    26) The Ramones

100 post before I am in the Clube.
    Doh! How did I miss that? I guess I wanted to rip their magazine so much that I ignored it.

I agree, NWA should have been in there. They completely changed the face of rap (for better or worse can be argued).

..and where is Weird Al?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I don't claim to be a real hip-hop fanatic by any means, but after 25+ years of rap, the only ones on the list are Run-DMC and Public Enemy?

If there was ever anyone who was the conflicted conscience of hip-hop, it was Tupac. And I would also include NWA, for (rightly or wrongly) amping up the anti-authoritarian theme that rock lost and has tried so hard to reclaim.
    I'm an ICE-T and Public Enemy man myself !!! What about Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Something's wrong with a list that omits The Grateful Dead.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I'm an ICE-T...
    There goes the neighborhood
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    No Vanilla Ice, Spice Girls, Atlantic Star, NELSON!? You guys are right, RS is past it's prime.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    As much as I despise anything and everyting associated with them, I can't argue!

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm an ICE-T and Public Enemy man myself !!! What about Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.
    I actually thought of including Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow and Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force, but in the minds of most listeners of current popular music they mean nothing. They laid the foundation for hip-hop today. As members of the vanguard who really put rap out there in the late '70s and early '80s, I think they are viewed in pretty much the same way as Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and others were viewed by rock fans in the '70s -- which is to say very obscurely.

But there is no question that Tupac and NWA belong with Run-DMC and Public Enemy, and Dr. Dre (surely) and Ice Cube (maybe) merit an individual mention, too. Maybe even LL Cool J.

No sh*t, what a joke.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Where the hell was Pink Floyd!?!?!
    Screw Rolling Stone...bunch a...damn...hell...just screw Rolling Stone....

The ommission of PF is wrong and I'm so *&%#$*& tired of Little Richard. Give us a GD break already.

Me, why I'm firmly in the Busta Rhymes school of hip-hop.

Not too bad, but unsafe for work image.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What about Eric Clapton?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What about Eric Clapton?
    Talk about someone that is overplayed. I am very tired of hearing about Clapton.

I seriously second the Weird Al inclusion. In his practicular idiom, he is the greatest ever and will never be equaled, IMHO.

But because he doesn't do "serious" music, then he doesn't get the same respect as others. I think he is great at deflating the pomposity of most of the "serious" music that thinks of itself as ART. I think his greatest and most poignant song was "Smells like Nirvana". That one best exemplifies his critical role in modern music.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    What about the glaring ommissions of Motown artists? They only had 3 - Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. What about the Temptations or the Supremes? Boy bands and girl groups wouldn't have existed without them.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I actually thought of including Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow and Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force, but in the minds of most listeners of current popular music they mean nothing. They laid the foundation for hip-hop today. As members of the vanguard who really put rap out there in the late '70s and early '80s, I think they are viewed in pretty much the same way as Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and others were viewed by rock fans in the '70s -- which is to say very obscurely.

But there is no question that Tupac and NWA belong with Run-DMC and Public Enemy, and Dr. Dre (surely) and Ice Cube (maybe) merit an individual mention, too. Maybe even LL Cool J.
    You have to look to The Source or Vibe for recognition of hip hop artists.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Rolling Stone Magazine: http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2846

The Immortals
    The fifty greatest rock & roll artists of all time

1. The Beatles
    50. The Band

The Stones are #4 they should be number one.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Where the hell was Pink Floyd!?!?!
    Screw Rolling Stone...bunch a...damn...hell...just screw Rolling Stone....

The ommission of PF is wrong and I'm so *&%#$*& tired of Little Richard. Give us a GD break already.

How can they not include Pink Floyd! That's some of the most original stuff out there! I could understand them wanting to leave out the PF of the late 80s/early 90s. When your band has a major cult following that has spaned to another generation, then it belongs as an immortal.

Where have the good music magazines gone? Oh yeah, STRAIGHT TO HELL!

There's definitely a few more rap/hiphop groups that belong in this list.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    And another thing, Sly and Family Stone were a good progressive group, but IMMORTAL.
    Right on, brotha!

Also, Parliament Funkadelic!...enough said!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    What about the glaring ommissions of Motown artists? They only had 3 - Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. What about the Temptations or the Supremes? Boy bands and girl groups wouldn't have existed without them.
    Or the Four Tops?

I guess omissions are inherent to the process, and you're right -- The Source and Vibe would be better places for citing hip-hop artists.

Even if you follow a very narrow line that follows only rock 'n roll, and none of its off-shoots or predecessors (i.e., blues, R&B, folk, "alternative", metal, etc.), from the '50s to today, you'd have lots of glaring omissions. And you'd still be stuck with trying to define what that narrow line would be.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 29 Apr 2006, 3:15 PM
  2. Stackwood/log/stone houses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Dec 2005, 1:55 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Dec 2004, 7:15 PM
  4. Stone Walls