Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Welcome to local government

Welcome to local government

My boss started as a secretary and now is an administrator for a community of 20,000. She is in way over her head and protects her job by keeping all the information to herself. The zoning guy and I spent several days getting info on an undeveloped rural area that is about to get water and she had all the info we needed.She has a bunch of religious plaques in her office but regulary accepts perks from developers and does favors for businesses in the area. Are all local governments like this or am I just lucky?

Today, I suggested having a weekly staff meeting b/c no one knows what anyone else is doing. The administrator said she had one scheduled once a month but we were too busy to have one! Of course we're too busy. We keep duplicating each others' work. It's time consuming.

Many local government are so arrogant. They will treat other people as sub-human. They don't really care about their community or people's rights.

What's that saying? Everyone rises to their level of incompetance? Hang in there. I have a great administrator and supportive politicians. As long as I make sense they tend to see the logic. Just remember your Adminsitrator probably has all the religious plaques in her office because she needs divine intervention.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Local Government Consolidation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Feb 2010, 9:08 PM
  2. Understanding local government
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 11:19 PM
  3. Local government consolidation
    Economic and Community Development