Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Academic Nonsense Generator!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Academic Nonsense Generator!

This is hilarious.

Just as we can laugh at the architectural nonsense of Zaha Hadid, we can also laugh at the underlying nonsense of the academic world in general. I was reading an interesting article about Alan Sokel, who submitted an article of absolute nonsense to a "prestigious" literary journal-who accepted it.

So now, you can generate your own literary journal research:

http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/

My first "work" suitable for peer review in postmodernist intellectual world:

The Reality of Economy: The postcapitalist paradigm of narrative and precultural Marxism
    Henry C. P. Prinn
    Department of Gender Politics, University of California, Berkeley

1. Smith and cultural narrative
    The characteristic theme of Hanfkopf's[1] essay on the postcapitalist paradigm of narrative is a subcapitalist paradox. In Mallrats, Smith examines Baudrillardist simulation; in Dogma, although, he analyses precultural Marxism. Thus, Wilson[2] holds that we have to choose between the postcapitalist paradigm of narrative and postcultural discourse.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That's awesome. I think I will turn one of my anthropologist friends onto that site - anthropology is probably more into postmodernism than any other academic field. Lots of post-, pre-, -ual, -ism neologisms used in their pub's.
    I think she'll now be able to finish her thesis......
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    here's what I came up with:

Dialectic theory in the works of Koons
    Z. John Finnis
    Department of Sociology, University of Illinois
    1. Pynchon and Batailleist `powerful communication'
    If one examines dialectic theory, one is faced with a choice: either reject postcultural desublimation or conclude that the goal of the participant is deconstruction, but only if culture is interchangeable with language; if that is not the case, we can assume that the State is capable of truth. It could be said that Foucault promotes the use of Batailleist `powerful communication' to attack archaic perceptions of sexual identity. The primary theme of Humphrey's[1] model of Baudrillardist simulacra is the bridge between society and sexual identity.

I wish I had known about this website when I took a course at the University of Michigan on intro to semiotics (don't ask...I was a freshman)...it would have been an 'A' term paper - we actually had to read Foucault's blather

It's amazing the kind of crap liberal arts students can get away with...writing papers about Kevin Smith movies?!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hobo Name Generator
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Aug 2012, 9:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Aug 2012, 9:53 AM
  3. Appeals and other such nonsense
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 12:48 PM